Author Topic: 1967 scoop blackout  (Read 2831 times)

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
1967 scoop blackout
« on: April 05, 2020, 01:41:24 PM »
I was always curious what is correct for 67 lower and upper scoops? Blacked out inside the both sets of scoops as well or body colour? I have seen both body colour and blacked out on lots of restored cars and always curious what's correct?

Question Transferred for v8dave

V8Dave

• View Profile
Re: 1967 scoop blackout
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 02:19:22 PM »
Thanks Coral Snake didn't mean to go off topic in the wrong section just was always curious as to regards the scoop black out question. :)
Thanks Again.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 02:31:10 PM »
I was always curious what is correct for 67 lower and upper scoops? Blacked out inside the both sets of scoops as well or body colour? I have seen both body colour and blacked out on lots of restored cars and always curious what's correct?

Question Transferred for v8dave
From SA both upper and lower scoops were blacked out. The lower scoop black out process can be done after the scoops are installed. The uppers can be done on or off of the car. Restored cars that do not have them blacked out are because the process was forgotten or the restorer didn't know any better.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 02:34:36 PM »
Thank you Pete for moving the discussion . I don't know why I didn't think of doing it that way. Next time i will.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 05:03:46 PM »
Only the front opening of the upper scoops was blacked-out, not the rear opening.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

V8Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 06:24:43 PM »
Thanks Mr Gaines and JD for the information I have learned something new. Just out of curiosity What type of black paint was used inside the scoop/ satin black/ matt black /semi gloss black/ gloss black? Id guess the same as the Engine bay which I believe is semi gloss black.
All the best
Dave

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2020, 06:26:17 PM »
To my understanding semi-gloss... but below Bob has suggested not as glossy as semi-gloss so more towards satin or flat.   I stand corrected
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 08:31:32 AM by JD »
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

V8Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 06:29:38 PM »
Thanks JD

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2020, 09:41:22 PM »
Shine can be a arbitrary measurement . The inside was not suppose to have any shine to reflect back .With that said error on the side of duller.

Bossbill

• SAAC Member
  • In the middle of Puget Sound
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2020, 10:37:47 PM »
Only the front opening of the upper scoops was blacked-out, not the rear opening.

Is there a picture out there to show how far/how deep the exterior color went?
Was the interior of the rear green beyond the color?
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2020, 10:42:53 PM »

Is there a picture out there to show how far/how deep the exterior color went?
Was the interior of the rear green beyond the color?
If you mean for the upper scoops then the black out extended inside as far in the scoop opening that the spray pattern would extend with a rag or similar plug stuck in the back side. 

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2020, 11:27:49 PM »
I did my black-out on the car after Bob confirmed all are and a basic walk-through on how to get it done. I didn't use flat black. I used a semi-gloss. Everything sticks to flat paint.
99.9% of us are NOT thinking of Concours. We're practical. We drive them and you'll note in southern states they scoop anything that flies right out of the air. I can wipe them out easily and they look so much better blacked out.
I also didn't want ANY sealer oozing out, so I explained in the other thread how I did mine. No ooze and noting all over the blue paint.
Anyway, I will go take a couple of pictures and modify my post with added pictures.

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2020, 11:06:57 AM »
  Secret thing I do: Stuff a piece of foam into  the lower scoop to keep the little stones out before going for a ride.  Car wash sponge might work too. 

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2020, 07:34:40 PM »
Here is the upper. As mentioned,  only the front opening. Rod, do you have functional lowers?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 09:18:50 PM by The Going Thing »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2020, 07:42:47 PM »
Here is the upper. As mentioned,  only the front opening. Rod, do you have functional uppers.
All uppers 67/68 are functional from the factory. You probably mean the lowers which were only functional for relative short time in 67 production.