News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Harmonic Dampner Differences?

Started by silverton_ford, April 07, 2020, 07:50:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverton_ford

I recently traded for a C5OE-A Hipo harmonic balancer.  I already had one, so naturally I put both together to compare them.  I also have a C8ZE-A Hipo balancer, so since I was making the effort I figured I would compare all three together.   The C8ZE-A balancer is obviously different and very easy to spot the differences.  It is the black one in the photos below.

My question is about the C5OE-A balancer.  The bead blasted one and the gray primer one in my photos below.  The bead blasted one has a date of 5B and a short amount of timing marks on the side.  The gray painted one has timing marks all the way around the side and I cannot find a date.   They are also different heights from each other when set on the face, but I assume that is because one outside has moved from the inside piece, but I am not sure.   What is the reason for these differences?  Both have the same casting number?   Is one late and one early?     Which one would be best for a late 66 GT350?    Thank you.

C50E-A(bead blasted), C5OE-A (painted gray), C8ZE-A (black)

C50E-A(bead blasted), C5OE-A (painted gray)

C5OE-A (painted gray), C8ZE-A

C5OE-A (bead blasted)

C5OE-A (painted gray)

C8ZE-A

SFM5S000

Brian,
The fully degreed balancer looks like something SAI started but did not finished as the stamped numbers stop at 10 after TDC.  Fully finished race balancers were used on R-Models, Group I II 66 TA Cars. I did notice in one of the pics is the 90 degree stamp. I'd be curious to know if at the 180 and or 270 positions have number stamps and what they are. Randy Gillis (gt350hr) would know or would have better insight on this piece.
The other C5OE (bead blasted one) is a standard HiPo balancer.
Cobra Automotive was reproducing the fully degreed version but the stamped numbers were positioned differently as opposed to the way SAI did them.
I own a C3OE version of the fully degreed more than likely off something SAI raced. I got it from John Bessey aka CSX2259/SHELRACE and is currently on my engine. (see pic).
The extra milled edge  just past the hash marks just before the angled edge detail, I have no answer for other than the cast pointer aligns with that machined edge and the hash marks.

Cheers,
~Earl J

JD

Thanks for posting.

Do you still have a C5 HiPo balancer for sale? (if so please contact me, anyone need a C8?)
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

silverton_ford

Quote from: SFM5S000 on April 07, 2020, 08:11:05 PM
Brian,
The fully degreed balancer looks like something SAI started but did not finished as the stamped numbers stop at 10 after TDC.  Fully finished race balancers were used on R-Models, Group I II 66 TA Cars. I did notice in one of the pics is the 90 degree stamp. I'd be curious to know if at the 180 and or 270 positions have number stamps and what they are. Randy Gillis (gt350hr) would know or would have better insight on this piece.
The other C5OE (bead blasted one) is a standard HiPo balancer.
Cobra Automotive was reproducing the fully degreed version but the stamped numbers were positioned differently as opposed to the way SAI did them.
I own a C3OE version of the fully degreed more than likely off something SAI raced. I got it from John Bessey aka CSX2259/SHELRACE and is currently on my engine. (see pic).
The extra milled edge  just past the hash marks just before the angled edge detail, I have no answer for other than the cast pointer aligns with that machined edge and the hash marks.

Cheers,
~Earl J

Earl,
Thank you for your response.
I didn't pay close enough attention, but I do believe it does have 90, 180, 270 stamped.  I will get some more pictures.

Quote from: JD on April 07, 2020, 09:38:43 PM
Thanks for posting.

Do you still have a C5 HiPo balancer for sale? (if so please contact me, anyone need a C8?)

JD.   I didn't have the C5 balancer for sale.  I had a C3 for sale, but traded it for the bead blasted C5 balancer shown in the pictures.  I still have a C8 for sale.  I can't find the for sale ad.  I thought I posted it here a couple months ago, but here it is on craigslist: https://salem.craigslist.org/pts/d/salem-for-sale-original-289-hipo/7097655013.html

gt350hr

Brian,
       Earl is correct. The fully degreed balancer was a "race" part. Normal HiPo balancers were sent to Traco ( according to original SAI documents ) for a minor turn and to add the degreeing. They were sold in the various SAI catalogs too. The one you have pictured is an over the counter version. Race engines built at SAI with these balancers had an SAI serial number on the inside where the washer rides. I believe the one Earl got from John came from me and did have a '65 engine serial # on it. ( not vin but engine build #)
     Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

JD

Brian, thanks.

(seems C8's are plentiful)
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

gt350hr

The history on the C8ZE balancer is a redesign was necessary for use with multiple groove pullies anticipated for the '68 model run. The original intention was a 302 HiPo which was cancelled in favor of the "Street Tunnel Port 302" which was also cancelled. Because engines had to be built in advance of car production , parts were designed and ordered well in advance.  C8ZE Hi Po heads were made for the same reason and sold as Service HiPo heads like the C8ZE balancers , and prebult short blocks ( using the C8ZM "Hecho en Mexico" block) The lesser known C8OE rods with 3/8ths bolts were sold through the Ford Muscle Parts program as 302 "Heavy Duty" rods , not through the MPC. The balancer was so popular it remained in the MPC until Ford dropped ALL early Mustang parts many years ago.
   I welcome any other information as always.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

TLea

5s327 and 6s018 (factory drag cars) both have original balancers and are also degreed but not as much as the SAI race ones. I don't know if Ritchey did them in house or sent them out

SFM5S000

Here's the fully degrees version from Cobra Automotive as I mentioned earlier. Very similar to the Traco machined for SAI from back in the day but the position the numbers are stamped differently. I think they are modified Scott Drake units, at least they look like them to me without the Ford name and numbers or whomever is reproducing them.

Cheers,
~Earl J

silverton_ford

Earl,  Here a few photos of the 90, 180, 270 degree markings.  Thank you for your help!

Thank you Randy and Tim for your great input and help.

SFM5S000

Brian,

Nice! That's a good one. It's marked at the important points for adjusting valves. That's a keeper in my book. If you want to find it a home let me know. Haha.

Cheers,
~Earl J