News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

68 deluxe door panel replacement

Started by gt350bp, April 09, 2020, 02:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gt350bp

My original door panels on my 68 KR were getting a bit shabby, so I decided to replace with what is regarded the best reproduction panels available. I bought the TMI panels and they look very nice. There are however a few issues to be aware. They are as follows:

1.) The reproduction panels are ever so slightly smaller towards the interior front of the car. Be sure to cut back your watershields enough so they are not exposed. Learned the hard way on my passenger side! Had to use an Exacto knife to trim them back. No big deal, but much easier just to use scissors and cut back before installation.

2.) The bigger issue is an interference with a flat washer head fastener that hold the regulator to the door. This fastener is below the rear pull strap and directly interferes with the door panel. The original door panels have a circular relief at this location, allowing them to fit flusher. Again, learned the hard way on the passenger side. I'm going to try to add this circular relief on the drivers side and maybe hit the fastener with a grinder to minimize the interference.

3.) Be sure to orient the door panel clips in the correct direction and test fit, as I had one clip that was too far off of the door hole to use. The cutout in the door panel backer material was off by the size of the clip. I guess I could have drilled a new hole in the door, but the location was on the bottom of the panel near the rear and the other clips are holding the panel tight.

I was planning on using the original deluxe armrests, however my passenger side is just starting to split. How are the reproductions? I'm trying to use all the original pieces that I can. I bought the reproduction armrest plugs, but the originals look better in my opinion. The grain and fit looks better.

Any input on the reproduction armrests will be appreciated.

Is there any factory orientation of the window regulator for the up and down positions? In the up position, I have my window regulators pointing towards the door handle. Could not locate anything to verify if there is a specific orientation or if it was completely random?

Hope this may be of help to others if planning a door panel replacement.

Don
gt350bp           

68blk500c

Assembly manual specifies the correct door and window handle position, as well as quarter window handle position. 

gt350bp

Don't know how I missed it in the Assembly Manuals? Saw the quarter window drawing, but missed the door drawing. Now all I need is the best available deluxe armrests. Any input besides finding excellent used? Would like to find a drivers side.

Don
gt350bp

roddster

The "position" you refer to is often called "clocking" in the judging sheets.  And it is in the assembly manual.