News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Removal of bonnet bow

Started by 6TY7GT, April 11, 2020, 04:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6TY7GT

My 67 bonnet has a 1/2'' bow in the passenger side and a 1/4'' bow in the drivers side. Any recommendations in how to remove the bow?

The Going Thing

Your hood?  8)
I have heard of some using weights. Bob Gains may know a way to do it. I don't leave my hood latched when I'm not driving it just to unload the spring pressure on the hood.

motorhead428

I would put the car in the sun and add weight (cover paint with soft cloth) more weight on the side with more bow, for several days or weeks. I took the bow out of mine using a heat gun and heat lamp and weights before priming and painting.

Use sandbags,it's how we straighten twists in surfboard,as it distributes the weight more evenly over the affected area,+1 on doing it in the hot sun.Be patient,it will take a while,but it works...Good luck!

roddster

You guys: Lets remember to state whether of not you have an 1) all glass hood, or2) the metal underlined hood.

But I will say, putting some weight where the bow is might help.  Proper or the smaller hood springs, might help.

The Going Thing

I have the original small springs. They will bow a factory hood over time.  As a precautionary measure, you can simply unlatch the hood and leave it up about 10" to unload the hood when it's parked in the garage.

Mine (all glass hood) still has tension on the springs when closed and latched ,which leaves a noticeable bow.My solution is to push down on the midpoint(front to back)of the hood hard with my palm from each side of the car.This takes the tension off the springs and removes the bow nicely.Works  like a charm,at least for my car.You can actually feel the tension of the springs release as you push down.

texas swede

Most of the bow on #1317 hood was removed by replacing the large springs on the car when I bought it
in 1977 to the small springs and by putting heavy Swedish phonebooks on each side.
Texas Swede

67 GT350

I have completely removed the springs, if lifting does not bother you. Also for storage, its great. Years ago I have a neat set of hooks that were made for holding the hood up. You would open the hood and place them in where the springs were and the hood was up, easy removal also. I might see if the guy who made that, might have some.
RARE  Signature Delete

6TY7GT

Thanks for the replies, most useful. Yes, it is the hood (bonnet in Australia), and all glass. The hood had the bow in it when I purchased the car 12 years ago and imported it into Australia. The hood is always unlatched when stored. Will try the weight and Queensland has plenty of sunshine.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 6TY7GT on April 14, 2020, 04:44:08 AM
Thanks for the replies, most useful. Yes, it is the hood (bonnet in Australia), and all glass. The hood had the bow in it when I purchased the car 12 years ago and imported it into Australia. The hood is always unlatched when stored. Will try the weight and Queensland has plenty of sunshine.
Some hoods have enough inherent strength not to bow because they all didn't do it. The bow can be permanently fixed but that takes reinforcing work inside the structure so that it can remain normal looking on the underside.That is a lot of work.  If you have issues take the Shelby light springs off when storing .You can also leave them off and reattach them only when you plan on having the hood open. Those special springs are ones used on 67 Shelby's that are factory smaller diameter then regular Mustang springs for those not aware. The sand bag method needs to be done in combination with the warmth of the sun and typically will solve the problem. The heat will soften the fiberglass slightly . If your lucky the bow may not come back or at least for a significant length of time. Typically it does come back at which time you do the process again. FYI for best results don't take the bags off until the hood has cooled down otherwise you may compromise your efforts.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby