News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Shelby is maintaining weight; I am not

Started by deathsled, April 11, 2020, 09:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NC TRACKRAT

Great subject!  At all our HPDE events, we constantly remind our students to stay hydrated especially in the hot Summer.  Maintaining mental and physical focus while on track is paramount. Heat stroke can come on quickly and, after a certain point, can be fatal. Just an observation but I see folks spend thousands of dollars getting weight out of their track cars but they, themselves, may be overweight.  Getting their BMI within limits would help their health and their performance on track.
5S071, 6S1467

deathsled

And I thought I was bad at 5 to 8 pounds overweight.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Bigfoot

GreAt way to loose weight.
Do a proper oil change.
Old Skool
On ur back
Then dispose oil properly.
Then tend to bruised body parts.
During those 2 hours don't eat.
Then rotate tires.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

deathsled

Movement is the key.  My Towncar was due for an oil change today but I am staying away from the stores.  It's going to have to endure another week or two on 3200 plus mile oil.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

shelbydoug

Diabetes definitely complicates the treatment, the reaction to the virus and the recovery.

Eventually we should have enough data to predict the variations on this particular virus and thus the dangers?

I've had flues that if I was in poor health would have killed me for sure. Some take quite a while to completely recover from?

This particular one just hits some one frail like a freight train and runs over them.

It is currently thought to be age sensitive but we have lost enough teenagers and 20 somethings to indicate that there is something else going on.

Vaping seems to make one more susceptible as smoking the funny weed does? Something to consider?

It's such a drop off the cliff that there is no time for the Medical folks to throw anything at it.

The ultimate hope is that there will be a safe and effective vaccine. That may be a year away?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

The Going Thing

Doug: If Bill Gates is involved with the vaccine I'm not taking it.  And no. They are talking about fall now.  Perfect timing.   There are no young people lacking health issues dying from this. We hear nothing of the vast amount of people recovering or never becoming ill enough to require any real formal treatment.
We also know the Hydroxychloroquine and Zpak has been effective in several hundred test cases.  Bill Gates openly admitted the vaccine he was working would have an ID system included in them. Think about this. There is a reason they are avoiding the obvious.

shelbydoug

Lots of issues agreed, and lots of bridges to be crossed but my thought is that "socially" there is going to be the need to show that "every individual" walking around free is not going to be a threat to spread the virus or start it all up again?

Logically, how can you do that unless you can show that you are not infelicitous without some sort of document that shows you have been inoculated against it.

I grew up during the polio pandemic. It took a while for the vaccinations to catch up.

Because of negative reactions to like you have to Gates (no argument from me) it is going to be best to not "title" these things.

Hopefully they will be very safe and highly effective? Of course, the sooner the better but it can't be artificially accelerated.

In addition, it doesn't help anything to have some people with a talk shows to say things like the people that have already died, "were already on deaths door", and in effect say things like, "let them die and decrease the surplus population"? It helps nothing and stokes the flames.

They should know better. Put a heavy bag in the garage and basement, and go hit it. Hit it until you can't any more. Feel the pain in your hands yourself. Keep it to yourself.

Are we already counting and rationalizing casualties? There will be enough accountability down the road and the rationalization will come in what could have been done to reduce those casualties by reacting to the early warnings responsibly.

Simply put, I don't want to be the one in charge when the enemy is at the gate. When the enemy is within the compound on my watch, I already know what is going to happen. There is no excuse. An explanation possibly but no excuse.

My Shelby is indeed a magical devise, a time machine and takes me to places that exist sometimes only in my thoughts but it has it's limitations. It's a machine that can be replaced. My friends and family can't be.

May everyone's realities be pleasant ones. 8)

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

67 GT350

OMG did someone mention Bill Gates, the devil himself!
RARE  Signature Delete

shelbydoug

Quote from: 67 GT350 on April 14, 2020, 09:13:09 AM
OMG did someone mention Bill Gates, the devil himself!

Ssssh! The Devil appears when you speak his (her) name! Hush!
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

kjspeed

QuoteAre we already counting and rationalizing casualties?

We've been doing that for decades. Without minimizing or ignoring the heartache, suffering and sadness of any death, as a society we eventually come to a consensus of what an acceptable number is for a variety of mortalities; flying, driving, alcohol and drug use/abuse, etc. This includes mortality as it relates to illness, sickness, virus, etc. This consensus sometimes changes over time, usually becoming less tolerant of 'dangerous' behavior and/or practices and accounting for new technologies that can help reduce the mortality related to that behavior or activity.

As an example, I would often get in discussions with my father about motor vehicle safety. It would start with him saying something like "People shouldn't be allowed to ride motorcycles without a helmet" (Florida rescinded their helmet law years ago). I would ask him why. Of course, the reason was to save lives. So, playing the devil's advocate I would ask him - why not outlaw motorcycles altogether? Then you would have zero motorcycle fatalities or injuries. Then we would move on to automobiles. Seat belt laws. His position; everyone should have to buckle up, again so we can save lives and reduce injuries. Then I would ask him, if saving lives and reducing injuries was the ultimate goal, why not require full roll cages, helmets, fire suits, five point belts, fire suppression equipment and annual proficiency tests for drivers? You would save a hell of a lot more lives if you implemented all of those protocols. He would just shake his head and I would smile. We both knew that what we were talking about was what constituted an acceptable risk. His risk tolerance level was much lower than mine.

He's been gone 6 years now and I miss those discussions. His end came courtesy of melanoma cancer. Probably as a result of sunlight. And in his final 40-50 years (he lived to 86) he fastidiously protected himself from the sun with sunscreen, clothing and reduced exposure. Went every three months to the dermatologist to have skin cancers removed - never having ANY of them test positive for melanoma. It got him anyway.

I'm sharing my thoughts on this because we are faced right now, as a society, with determining what behavior will and will not be allowed going forward as a result of this virus. There are those who propose extended "lock down" for 18 months or more and there are those who want to get back to 'normal' life now. There are many with viewpoints somewhere between these two extremes and there will be a lot of vitriol thrown about as these issues are discussed. It remains to be seen how this plays out. Whether it rips us apart as a society or whether it unites us as one.

In my little corner of Florida most people seem to be getting along with each other pretty well. But others are like tightly wound springs. Some of them are hunkered down at home foaming at the mouth with indignation at anyone who is out and about. Others are locked and loaded and getting more impatient by the hour to return to their routines. There's a tension there that will require Wisdom and the Hand of God to successfully navigate. Let's hope He hasn't written us off and that our local, state and federal officials work together to reduce this tension and return some sense of normalcy to our nation and the world.
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

The Going Thing

We cannot destroy the country for a few. We've lost many more to the yearly flu. I am fortunate that I am immune to this. It was a concern considering I had open heart just over a year ago.  I don't have heart disease or blocked arteries. I had a hole in the atrium that started causing issues.  So I was concerned about being at risk. The talking asshole leftists are more concerned with bashing the President who did act quickly while being called every foul name in the book for stopping travel. You people can thank many of the aircrews who were flying the Chinese routes for reporting this directly as to the scope and refusing to continue to fly the routes in January.  We know from recovery rates in France that the therapy the President and many other well-known doctors are using does work in 97% of cases based on the studies. Most of us who served in the military have carried the anti-malaria drug or used it know it's as safe as an Asprin.
We also know there are several vaccines in the clinical trials that also look very promising.   
Now that we have testing kits that are accurate and give results in minutes, not the few the WHO had didn't work and were inaccurate.  I had my wings clipped with just a few hours of flight a month now until we start to see some normality.  It will likely be August before perhaps life will start to look more like it did.
For now I am doing what I can by volunteering locally and giving plasma.
We can't destroy this nation for a few. It won't work and the end game is more than letting this run it's course.  No surprise where the hot spots are, but just like global warming the models are all theory. They were wrong again and it's not taking the toll that was claimed by the experts.
I think everyone is going to end up with this. It will have little to no effect for the vast majority of us.
We didn't close the nation for the Spanish Flu, Polio outbreaks.
We need to become what we were: Americans.   

Chris Thauberger

Quote from: The Going Thing on April 15, 2020, 01:07:49 AM
We cannot destroy the country for a few. We've lost many more to the yearly flu.

CDC reports 34,157 deaths in the US related to the 2018-2019 flu season. Covid19 deaths in the US reported to date are 26,334 and rising. Your "opinion" is as good as mine where it will finish.

Quote from: The Going Thing on April 15, 2020, 01:07:49 AM
The talking asshole leftists are more concerned with bashing the President who did act quickly while being called every foul name in the book for stopping travel.

There is not enough room on the forum to link to all the press briefing video of "Mr T" down playing the severity of Covid19 or ignoring expert medical opinions. It's true red and blue like to take shots at each other, that doesn't mean the facts they use are not true.

People are not openly discussing anything they are just defending their point of view and in defending point of view they are defending their egos which means they are expressing the ideas that they think others people want to hear.

You can present the facts to people but the facts won't penetrate because it's not about facts its about opinions that they have to hold on to in order to feel OK about themselves.

JMHO  ;D
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold