News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

How does the front nose attach?

Started by cboss70, April 15, 2020, 01:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cboss70

Hello Everyone,
When I got my late 67 the nose wasn't attached. I want to mount it now and am not sure how it mounts to the fenders or the brackets. It seems like the areas that mount to the fenders are with clips? But from where and which direction would the bolts go?  Are the areas that mount to the brackets- screwed in, riveted, bolts (when/where)?  Any diagrams or pictures you can post would be appreciated as the one I posted below is all I could find on the internet showing the nose and I don't know if its correct. Thanks in advance for your help.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: cboss70 on April 15, 2020, 01:43:19 PM
Hello Everyone,
When I got my late 67 the nose wasn't attached. I want to mount it now and am not sure how it mounts to the fenders or the brackets. It seems like the areas that mount to the fenders are with clips? But from where and which direction would the bolts go?  Are the areas that mount to the brackets- screwed in, riveted, bolts (when/where)?  Any diagrams or pictures you can post would be appreciated as the one I posted below is all I could find on the internet showing the nose and I don't know if its correct. Thanks in advance for your help.
The nose with the lip is factory . Fender type bolts from the front side typically . I have seen them done a couple different ways. I have also seen some with fender bolts and and the serrated locking nut with shoulder like the coil spring covers used.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on April 15, 2020, 01:47:54 PM
Quote from: cboss70 on April 15, 2020, 01:43:19 PM
Hello Everyone,
The nose with the lip is factory . Fender type bolts from the front side typically . I have seen them done a couple different ways. I have also seen some with fender bolts and and the serrated locking nut with shoulder like the coil spring covers used.

Mine attaches in this manor also? Fender bolts into captured nuts embedded into the fiberglass.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

cboss70

Ok so it seems like the outer lip bolts go through the back side of the fenders and into the clips on the nose and its pretty straight forward. 

Then comes the center of the nose- there are holes in the nose and it looks like the holes are where it attaches to the center brace. I've seen places selling rivet's to attach the nose but I have a bag of screw type bolts with nuts that were marked for nose attachment so any pictures or clarification on what to use would be helpful.

And finally does any sealant go between the nose and fenders or are they simply bolted up fiberglass to metal.   Thanks.

The Going Thing

AMK makes a nose mounting kit. On the upper support and at the lower front cross member it is riveted with large black rivers.I have studs top and bolts with U nuts and serrated fender bolts lower.

Bossbill

Quote from: The Going Thing on April 15, 2020, 03:17:58 PM
AMK makes a nose mounting kit. On the upper support and at the lower front cross member it is riveted with large black rivers. I have studs top and bolts with U nuts and serrated fender bolts lower.

More details on the red item, please.
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

JD

There were some variations throughout the year.

(Did you state the car number and the Shelby completion date? Also inboard or outboard grille lights)

Since the photo you posted shows holes in the very bottom lip there would be the large black rivets (AMK sells and others sell the AMK kits) as has been pointed out.

The holes in the lip where the bottom of the upper grille rests would have rivets too but some of those holes seem to be in the wrong place.  Do you have the upper grille and how many lower attachment straps does it have?

Some times bolts were used to attach the top of the lower grille to the bottom of the center support/license plate holder bracket.

Will look for some images to post.

Some images, Upper grille (if you have the two-piece vertical inboard style) note lower strap and rivet or hole for rivet.  Also lower grille to nose support some used rivets.

(Note - if you have a very early car with the angled (full or upper) grille it mounts differently)

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

Quote from: cboss70 on April 15, 2020, 03:10:28 PM
Ok so it seems like the outer lip bolts go through the back side of the fenders and into the clips on the nose and its pretty straight forward. 

Then comes the center of the nose- there are holes in the nose and it looks like the holes are where it attaches to the center brace. I've seen places selling rivet's to attach the nose but I have a bag of screw type bolts with nuts that were marked for nose attachment so any pictures or clarification on what to use would be helpful.

And finally does any sealant go between the nose and fenders or are they simply bolted up fiberglass to metal.   Thanks.
You need to mount the license plate bracket (what it is refereed to as) before putting on the nose . You didn't say when your car was built at SA or the vin number . Those factors come into play when comes to the proper hardware. Hard to suggest what to use until those factors are known. Yes the nose was sealed to the fenders. The way I would suggest doing it is after the install using good masking tape mask along both sides of the edge where the fender and the nose meet. After that is done doing ONE SIDE AT A TIME use clear silicone and run a bead into the seam . The stuff starts to set up after about 5 minutes. After you run the bead go back over it with your finger to squeegee the excess silicone off . You can clean your finger off or clean up a mistake with rubbing alcohol or denatured alcohol . You can now pull the tape off which allows the edges of the silicone to lay down before it starts to set up after the 5 minute window.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JD

Tony Branda sells a '67 Shelby Assembly Manual - worth getting - some reference but note these drawings were done pretty much after the cars all were done and not necessarily as the workers did it OR as it was done on much earlier '67 cars.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

JD

Note, there is a protective strip that goes on the bottom edge of the lower grille to prevent it from scratching the paint on the very bottom surface of the grill opening, if you need one there is a link at the bottom of this post that gives more detail and how to get one.

'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bossbill

When did they start using studs on the top of the nose above the headlights?

Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

greekz

Bill,

I believe when I put #2339 back together it had studs above the headlights with bolts and nuts at the bottom.

SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

motorhead428

Sorry, I need clarification . Post 2 Bob Gaines states fender type bolts from the front side typically. Post 4 cboss70 states the bolts go thru the fender into the clips in the nose. I have read both 4 times. I don't think they are saying the same thing. Also would the License plate holder/ nose support be semi gloss black ? Thank You 

JD

Quote from: motorhead428 on April 15, 2020, 09:08:52 PM
Sorry, I need clarification . Post 2 Bob Gaines states fender type bolts from the front side typically. Post 4 cboss70 states the bolts go thru the fender into the clips in the nose. I have read both 4 times. I don't think they are saying the same thing. Also would the License plate holder/ nose support be semi gloss black ? Thank You 

Yes

Bob Gaines

Quote from: motorhead428 on April 15, 2020, 09:08:52 PM
When the clips are used (one of two nose fastener ways used)then the clips are not meant to slide over the thick fiberglass lip of the nose. The clips are meant to slide over the thin sheet metal lip of the fender like they are made to be used on a regular Mustang . You will have to decide who is correct. Yes the license plate bracket is typically painted semigloss black .