News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Removing 67 Steering Wheel - Stuck

Started by Shelby_r_b, April 15, 2020, 03:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

The 67 wheel won't come off while driving. You will bend it first before that happens.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

JD

Mine did, nut worked loose and the wheel popped-off.  That'll get your attention real quick!
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

shelbydoug

Quote from: JD on May 15, 2021, 06:06:48 PM
Mine did, nut worked loose and the wheel popped-off.  That'll get your attention real quick!

LOL!  ;D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Shelby_r_b

...wow!!!  I'd have to recover the driver's seat.  ;)
Nothing beats a classic!

shelbydoug

Quote from: Shelby_r_b on May 16, 2021, 12:07:40 AM

...wow!!!  I'd have to recover the driver's seat.  ;)

You'd probably have to use hand signals too since that could take out the directional signals? ::)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

charlie D

Just a quick heads up and thanks to Bob Gaines for his tip to remove the steering wheel. The rat-a-tat-tat worked like a charm, came off with no effort at all and only one shot with the pneumatic hammer. Way to easy!

nwfire

I want to make a shout out to Dave Mathews and his steering wheel puller he had made for use on the '67 Shelby wheels.  Our GT500, #906's steering wheel would not come off.  Tried the center punch on the steering column, the air chisel trick but this thing wouldn't budge.
I contacted Dave and he was nice enough to send me the puller he had made and a thing of beauty it is.  This thing is top quality, fits like a glove and with a little use of a flex bar on the center bolt, off pops the steering wheel.  I used more time placing the wheel puller around the wheel hub than it took to tighten the bolt and remove the wheel.
I want to thank Dave for the use of the puller, his knowledge of the GT500's and his contributions to this forum.  A nicer man you will not find.

Terry Hill