Author Topic: SAAC-45 Convention Update  (Read 43310 times)

Rukiddin

• View Profile
Re: SAAC-45 Convention Update
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2020, 08:27:21 AM »
My vote is INDY
Whenever it happens.
Mr.Penske has done a great job and continues to provide the ultimate location.
Just my two cents  :)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 08:34:15 AM by Rukiddin »

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2020, 02:22:07 PM »

I would agree, especially if the bulk of the prep work was already in place prior to cancellation, would make Indy an obvious choice. But who knows ???

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2020, 05:41:07 PM »

I would agree, especially if the bulk of the prep work was already in place prior to cancellation, would make Indy an obvious choice. But who knows ???
It is typically is hinged on the vintage racing group and where they are having their event so that we can reduce cost for the track. It hasn't been stand alone SAAC for some years now because of rising track costs etc. Our venerable chairmen of the board has a in with those guys to keep us in consideration . ;) They don't have to have us but we need them unless we want to have prohibitivly higher event fee's. At least that is my take on the situation . Someone update me if I am off base.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2020, 05:47:57 PM »
Bob, if you don't know or don't care to reveal, I fully understand.   

My totally respectful question: Have recent SAAC conventions had enough entrants/spectators to cover the expenses? 

I sincerely hope the club is making money on the events. My question is not based in anything but curiosity, and forward-looking thoughts about the future of club events.
Van
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2020, 06:23:47 PM »
Bob, if you don't know or don't care to reveal, I fully understand.   

My totally respectful question: Have recent SAAC conventions had enough entrants/spectators to cover the expenses? 

I sincerely hope the club is making money on the events. My question is not based in anything but curiosity, and forward-looking thoughts about the future of club events.
Van
Sorry,I am not privy to that info.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2020, 07:00:22 PM »
Big tracks cost big money. Lynn Park can get by for $200 per car at a Willow Springs weekend. There are far fewer cars taking to the track and even fewer (compared to past conventions) on display. Several reasons. Many own multiple cars now and would only bring one. Lots of people also own "new" models and prefer to take those on a trip. Reduced track participation mean costs spread over fewer participants so higher cost per car keeps some away. Moving each year does add to the cost. If they could make a 3 year deal with a hotel and track the prices would come down.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2020, 07:32:11 PM »

Big money indeed, while this article and data is old it does give an idea of what just track rental costs (corner works, Ambulance crew, Safety crew are extra) for a weekend. Personally I think it's wise to "piggy back" with a SVRA Vintage race venue to reduce costs for SAAC.

https://blog.motorsportreg.com/global-race-track-rental-fees#.X3JxKi2ZNKM

Cobrask8

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2020, 12:04:02 PM »
Track expenses are the big ticket item. I can correlate, as I have run, priced, and set up track days. Three days at a major facility is $50 - 75K plus with all the extras. If SAAC was to shrink down to a one-day event at a lesser track, such as NJMP, NOLA, Autobahn, Willow, or other club-style tracks, they could probably do so solo, but it requires a major re-think of the convention. And pricing.

The Bosses like a name track, and Bob did identify on who's coattails we ride. It is felt that we'll attract more going to a famous place.

Me personally, I don't care, as long as the track is fun. Why not just have a one-day track frenzy, and spend another day with the car shows at the host hotel location, and maybe other fun social things? Heck, I've been asking for years at the Jersey Shore, one day at NJMP, car show on the boardwalk the second day, and one day in the Pine Barrens hunting for Jimmy Hoffa or other Soprano's victims......
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 12:05:39 PM by Cobrask8 »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2020, 03:21:51 PM »
Track expenses are the big ticket item. I can correlate, as I have run, priced, and set up track days. Three days at a major facility is $50 - 75K plus with all the extras. If SAAC was to shrink down to a one-day event at a lesser track, such as NJMP, NOLA, Autobahn, Willow, or other club-style tracks, they could probably do so solo, but it requires a major re-think of the convention. And pricing.

The Bosses like a name track, and Bob did identify on who's coattails we ride. It is felt that we'll attract more going to a famous place.

Me personally, I don't care, as long as the track is fun. Why not just have a one-day track frenzy, and spend another day with the car shows at the host hotel location, and maybe other fun social things? Heck, I've been asking for years at the Jersey Shore, one day at NJMP, car show on the boardwalk the second day, and one day in the Pine Barrens hunting for Jimmy Hoffa or other Soprano's victims......
Why leave out searching for the Jersey Devil in the Pine Barrens ? That would be Ed Meyers preferred hunt. ;D

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2020, 11:36:43 AM »
If SAAC is going to incorporate SAAC 45 (Redux.) with a Sports Car Vintage Racing Assoc. event venue in 2021 this is the just released dates for their races.

2021 SVRA Schedule.

February 5-7 Auto Club Speedway
February 18-21 Sebring International
February 26-28 Homestead-Miami Speedway
March 18-21 Charlotte Motor Speedway
March 25-28 Michelin Road Atlanta
April 23-25 Sonoma Raceway
April 28-May 2 WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca
May 13-16 Road America
May 28-31 Lime Rock Park
June 24-27 Mid-Ohio Sportscar Course
July 15- 18 Brainerd International Raceway
July 23-25 Portland International Raceway
September 9- 12 Watkins Glen International
September 23-26 Virginia International Raceway
October 7-10 Utah Motorsports Campus
October 22-24 Savannah Speed Festival
November 4-7 Circuit of The Americas
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 02:00:41 PM by CSX 4133 »

68gtcoupe

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2020, 02:12:06 PM »
Lime Rock or Watkins Glen please!   ;D

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 22, 2020, 04:52:02 PM »
My vote is mid Ohio

Mike G.

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2020, 07:52:15 AM »
Lime Rock or Watkins Glen please!   ;D

2nd that !!  Mike G.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2020, 07:56:26 AM »
Someone update me if I am off base.

Mr Gaines you know after all these years, where the convention “should be” is directly proportional to how far the track is from a SAAC member’s house.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 08:57:25 AM by Coralsnake »

jguyer

• SAAC Member
  • Any man that eats chili, can't be all bad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2020, 10:15:32 AM »
Becoming a teenager during the sixties, I could only read about places like Willow Springs, Watkins Glen, and Road America. Through  SAAC, I have been able to not only see Carroll Shelby and his cars on the tracks, but have been able drive on them myself. Some local members won't drive 100 miles to attend a convention, some of my most memorable trips were the ones that I had difficulties getting there.
"Never trust a man that don't eat cornbread, or a woman that don't cook it"