Author Topic: Clips and discussion of the 1966 Shelby French Film  (Read 15442 times)

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Clips and discussion of the 1966 Shelby French Film
« on: April 24, 2020, 05:45:36 PM »
Thought it might be interesting to discuss the 66 GT350 portion of the film.  Clips are numbered so that we can focus on the same clip. The clip notes are simply my observation at the moment and I invite other opinions and especially observations of the same clip. Hopefully this will benefit us all.

If you would also like to focus on the particular section of the film the clips were taken from here is the link again to the full film. Guess someone else can start discussions of other parts of the film in an appropriate section of this site if they wish

https://www.ina.fr/index.php/contenus-editoriaux/articles-editoriaux/1966-caroll-shelby-de-pilote-de-course-a-ingenieur-automobile

First set of clips for consideration

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Did use the program I used to process the clips to improve the contrast and brightness to hopefull help us see details better. If you find this a concern we can go to the screen captures and shown originally in the film with no adjustment.

Parking Lot 1

PL1-

Look;s like a shot of a group of dark 66 GT350's with bright wheels possibly suggesting Magnum 500's and possibly a group of Hertz cars. All cars in shot have LeMans stripes

Barely in the shot on the right is a white car and what appears to be a small table.

As would be expected there is no evidence in the picture of the factory tie down sticker on the rear valance

PL1b-

No copyright is claimed in [content copied] and to the extent that material may appear to be infringed, I assert that such alleged infringement is permissible under fair use principles in U.S. copyright laws. If you believe material has been used in an unauthorized manner, please contact the poster.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 07:11:21 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: Clips and discussion of the 1966 Shelby French Film
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 05:46:23 PM »
Parking Lot 2

PL2- Appears (due to color and stripe) to be a group of white Hertz 66 GT350

In this picture you can see the identification cards in the front windshield and the outline of the tach.

If your wondering. At this side of the parking lot there was a sound wall between this area and the runways on the other side.

Parking Lot 3

PL3-   Group of dark colored cars without Leman's stripes on the left side. Also notice the dark flat colored painted wheels. These may be painted Magnum 500's
From this angle the mirrors, side scoops and the windshield cars are easier to make out

Parking Lot 4

PL4- Dark and dirty, a group of dark colored cars (some with stripes and others without) wait their turn. Car in the middle provides a slighter better angle to see the finish on it's wheels

No copyright is claimed in [content copied] and to the extent that material may appear to be infringed, I assert that such alleged infringement is permissible under fair use principles in U.S. copyright laws. If you believe material has been used in an unauthorized manner, please contact the poster.

More to follow
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 07:11:38 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 02:02:38 AM »
Thanks for the enlargements.  I grew up near LAX, in the S-A days and I believe the "sound wall" was also a "jet wash deflector."

The Going Thing might be able to shed additional light on this. 
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 07:06:53 PM »
Thanks for the enlargements.  I grew up near LAX, in the S-A days and I believe the "sound wall" was also a "jet wash deflector."

Pretty sure I don't have any idea of what the correct/official names of things are around an airport ;)

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 07:07:01 PM »
Next section of the film shows Shelby pulling into the factory area by passing by the guard shack and parking a Cobra in front of the main building and walking into the office area. Pictures showing some of the area around the buildings are included below.

PL5- Group of cars we first see parked behind the guard shack appear to be three white coupes. It appears that they may be lacking rear bumpers and may be three of the larger (20 total in all) number of Trans Am coupes (group I and II) Shelby built for racing

PL6- Another though mixed exterior colored cars are parked in front of the other large out building. Since the car is moving at a decent clip and the camera panning with it we don't get a nice clear picture of the cars and buildings in the background

PL7- Hard to tell if all of the cars int he background have all of there tires and wheels. Not sure. Could these be cars with issues waiting their turn to be fixed?

PL8- He pulls up in front of the main building parking on the far side (not sure why they staged it this way - likely an oversight on the directors part) of a new 66 GT350. At first thought it might be a company car assigned to one of the important people but its lack of license plate quickly put an end to that possibility Shipping tie down sticker is visible on the rear valance

Next the film is edited to show the inside of the production building and the line - Coming up
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 07:11:52 PM by J_Speegle »

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2020, 07:33:09 PM »

Pretty sure I don't have any idea of what the correct/official names of things are around an airport ;)

I believe that they are called jet blast deflectors.  A few pilots around here might know.   8)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2020, 07:43:12 PM »

I have most typically heard them referred to as blast walls.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Szabo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2020, 07:51:26 PM »
Wow

what a wonderful find from 66 Hertz Production on LAX...

I just looked at the hole Film, and it shows the inside much better than in the "Ford goes Racing" and
"Carroll Shelby Mustang GT Promo Shelby American" vids i found on youtube...

and it shows some never seen pics bevor, like the Dynometer Room on LAX.

Please allow me to put some of the stuff from here / or the Video in my "LAX" Thread to bring
some new life in the Thread...

http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=6549.0

Some Thoughts to your shown pics:

-The hole Parking Lot you show above are completly behind Hangar 9 where the regular Production Line was.
  the cars go on left side inside the building an nearly on the end of LAX right side out of the hangar where they
  drived to the parking lot.

-Mr. Shelby drives his Cobra from the entrance Gate to the left side, bevor the Gate of Hangar 8 and here bevor
 the Show Car / Presentation Area, i dont know why but perhaps this was one of the rare places some shadow was
 on the hole LAX Area

-i will do some calender reworks, maybe we can suggest when in 66 / or even in late 65 ? / the film is maked.

Keep on going

and the Wall ist just called "Blast Wall" in the Blueprints of LAX, like you can see in my thread also.

Greets from Germany

Stephan
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 08:16:12 PM by Szabo »

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2020, 08:11:34 PM »
Keep the info coming, Stephan.

OK, "blast wall" it is.
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2020, 10:47:32 PM »
In the Air Force we called it a blast shield or blast fence. Many an important discussion was had behind said apparatus 😉.
Nothing beats a classic!

6s2020

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2020, 12:18:11 AM »
Next section of the film shows Shelby pulling into the factory area by passing by the guard shack and parking a Cobra in front of the main building and walking into the office area. Pictures showing some of the area around the buildings are included below.

PL5- Group of cars we first see parked behind the guard shack appear to be three white coupes. It appears that they may be lacking rear bumpers and may be three of the larger (20 total in all) number of Trans Am coupes (group I and II) Shelby built for racing

PL6- Another though mixed exterior colored cars are parked in front of the other large out building. Since the car is moving at a decent clip and the camera panning with it we don't get a nice clear picture of the cars and buildings in the background

PL7- Hard to tell if all of the cars int he background have all of there tires and wheels. Not sure. Could these be cars with issues waiting their turn to be fixed?

PL8- He pulls up in front of the main building parking on the far side (not sure why they staged it this way - likely an oversight on the directors part) of a new 66 GT350. At first thought it might be a company car assigned to one of the important people but its lack of license plate quickly put an end to that possibility Shipping tie down sticker is visible on the rear valance

Next the film is edited to show the inside of the production building and the line - Coming up

Thanks for dissecting the film and your observations.

Questions.

If a car was ordered by Hi-Po Motors, and was to be delivered to them less than five minutes away , would a rail trans sticker have been fitted as just a matter of corse?

Would it have Lic plate fitted at SA or at Dealer?

TIA

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2020, 04:48:24 AM »
Questions.

If a car was ordered by Hi-Po Motors, and was to be delivered to them less than five minutes away , would a rail trans sticker have been fitted as just a matter of corse?

The tie down stickers were applied at San Jose. The guys working there didn't know how the cars would be transported from that plant and its believed, because of this the instructions were that every car got on like every other sticker. Now if stripes were applied on that specific car at SA then the sticker would need to be removed since it was in the way of applying the masking tape that outlined the stripes for the painter

The tie down instructions could be applied to truck transport purposes also though every driver did what the company wanted or what they found that worked especially the ones that transported hundreds of the cars

Would it have Lic plate fitted at SA or at Dealer?

TIA

If the car was sold to the general public the selling dealer would have applied the plates or ordered them depending on the laws of the county or state it was sold in. That is why we see groupings in some of the license plate sequences  for certain groups of cars and not in other cases. Don't want to chance that any further since we will be focusing on particular states or areas - not the focus of this thread 

If if the car was to be a  a company car then you get into manufactures plates and other provisions so that the car could be operated on the street, insured and that sort of thing.  Allot of it can be a book keeping thing also. 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 04:50:28 AM by J_Speegle »

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2020, 02:13:27 PM »
For our focus the film next moves to the factory floor. In this case over the pit portion of the room

AL1- This clips shows the best view of the worker (just legs :)  in the pit.

AL2- To the left and the right on the edges of the pit are long florescent lights to illuminate the undercarriage. On the one bench we see some hardware and an air impact gun. On the other best I can make out a couple of cans of an aerosol spray. The yellow to the right shows the dolly the car is sitting on as it travels down this portion of this line. We'll see another car on a dolly from a different angle later. It has wheels and it guided in a track in the floor on both sides of the pit area.

AL3- We can see in this picture a worker kneeling down on the rear of this car or the front of the next. Have an idea of what he is doing but can't be certain. Conclusion based only a few clues and a guess or two :)

AL4- Grill paint removed and new emblem in place. Mirror and hood is attached. At this point Monte Carlo bar is visible, air cleaner in there and the "white" spot on the passenger side of the engine compartment is likely the battery inspection sticker

AL5- Young worker with an air impact gun now walking forward towards the first car. We see bins and parts to the right hand side of the picture we'll get to in a moment

« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 07:12:08 PM by J_Speegle »

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2020, 02:13:51 PM »
More moving from the front lower pictures to a more elevated angle

AL6- Young worker has made his way to the first car and we get a wider look at this end of the floor/room

AL7-Even wider look

« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 07:12:22 PM by J_Speegle »

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2020, 02:14:19 PM »
Did this picture separately as I expect it may create the most discussion so far.

AL8- I took the picture above and highlighted a few things I noticed. Sure others will see other details. Trying to stay with what we see and would like to see us stay with a narrow focus (66 GT350 production shown in the film) but we'll see how this goes

Arrows

Red - Tires with what appears to be painted rims. Are these the "take off's" that were installed at San Jose and replaced with the style that matched the order of a particular car. That's my guess

Purple - Sway bars. If the wheels right next to them are take off's then are these the sway bars removed from the cars as deliver from San Jose or the new ones? No way of telling.

Dark Blue - Three bin's. Could these also be for parts removed from the cars that would be resold to recyclers. Possibly items such as original sway bars, exhaust manifolds and so on

Light Blue - Couple of tall racks. Purpose?

Yellow - Couple more racks. Don't see a bunch of boxes or a stack of parts waiting to be installed. Tools and or smaller hardware?

Light Green - Paint booth?  Car inside is pretty low when compared to the car below.

Dark Green - Another car still on the wheeled dolly with no wheels and tires at this point

Again just my observations

More later :)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 07:12:36 PM by J_Speegle »