Author Topic: Clips and discussion of the 1966 Shelby French Film  (Read 15450 times)

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Clips and discussion of the 1966 Shelby French Film
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2020, 03:07:32 PM »
This is great - thanks for the pictures and detail, Jeff!
Nothing beats a classic!

Szabo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2020, 04:56:38 PM »
Did this picture separately as I expect it may create the most discussion so far.

AL8- I took the picture above and highlighted a few things I noticed. Sure others will see other details. Trying to stay with what we see and would like to see us stay with a narrow focus (66 GT350 production shown in the film) but we'll see how this goes

Arrows

Red - Tires with what appears to be painted rims. Are these the "take off's" that were installed at San Jose and replaced with the style that matched the order of a particular car. That's my guess

Purple - Sway bars. If the wheels right next to them are take off's then are these the sway bars removed from the cars as deliver from San Jose or the new ones? No way of telling.

Dark Blue - Three bin's. Could these also be for parts removed from the cars that would be resold to recyclers. Possibly items such as original sway bars, exhaust manifolds and so on

Light Blue - Couple of tall racks. Purpose?

Yellow - Couple more racks. Don't see a bunch of boxes or a stack of parts waiting to be installed. Tools and or smaller hardware?

Light Green - Paint booth?  Car inside is pretty low when compared to the car below.

Dark Green - Another car still on the wheeled dolly with no wheels and tires at this point

Again just my observations

More later :)

Hello,

thanks for more pics and details.

i am not so the technik details for the cars, but when i goes inside ob LAX i will do my best to give some more
information.

I dont think the "Light Green Arrow" Car is coming from the Paint Booth iside LAX Hangar.

in 66 the cars are putting together in a 3 Row Way inside LAX

i do some cross pic research and hope i found some good ones.

this well knows pic is from 65 Production at the beginning
cars come in on the pit lane and stand on a 2nd row bevor leaving the hangar

we see there is a lot of space between pit lane and Paint booth

for 66 Production i found this one from another Video, but only in
bad qualitiy.

but we can see there are 3 Rows of production
(i think it is filmed right bevor the Paint Booth)

so when looked again of your new Pic i would mostly think
it is the second row we see

for last pic i found another one from the french video but you didnt
post it at this moment

i think we see the 3rd Row and behind the Shelby the wall from
the paint booth (notice the "No Smoking" Letters on the Wall)

Greets from Germany

Stephan

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2020, 05:30:55 PM »
Hello,

thanks for more pics and details.

i am not so the technik details for the cars, but when i goes inside ob LAX i will do my best to give some more
information.

I worry that comparing different years may not be helpful (just sharing out loud) since things often got moved around to suit new needs and improve flow as well as other needs between one year or period of production. We see that, within reason, at the ford plants where belts used for moving cars are disassembled and moved around the floor/building to suit a new need. Just a concern. Not a big deal in those days to move a booth (for example) and to focus on just that detail the closer shot we have of the hoods in the booth being  painted makes the second line over about the right distance shown in the French film about right IMHO in comparison. But not a big point/deal :)

I dont think the "Light Green Arrow" Car is coming from the Paint Booth iside LAX Hangar.

in 66 the cars are putting together in a 3 Row Way inside LAX

The bright reflection from the sun at the end of the building may be something else but to me it appears to be the side wall of a structure of some type

Yes the picture from another source does show that the assembly line wove back and forth, it appears, forming three lines at least. We don't know what may be taking place outside of the camera view

Of course we're all trying to take crumbs and make some sense of them 55 years later peering through only a small hole the films and still provide. Thanks for the discussion, additions and opinions. How it all works together for a better understanding over time

for last pic i found another one from the french video but you didnt
post it at this moment

i think we see the 3rd Row and behind the Shelby the wall from
the paint booth (notice the "No Smoking" Letters on the Wall)

Yes we/I had not gotten to that portion of the film yet - kind of was trying to post them in order as they were shown

Don't believe the No Smoking would prove that its a booth ( other details may) since areas like paint or cleaning solutions would have require the same warning signs in the general locations based on county or city rules. Was a firefighter for over 30 years is a similar metro
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 05:41:23 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

SFM6S087

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2020, 03:54:10 AM »
Please keep this going, Jeff. I know there aren't many replies yet in this topic, but don't take that as a lack of interest. I'm sure there are plenty of others like me who are reading this and learning, but who don't have any constructive comments yet.

Steve

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2020, 07:39:25 AM »
Please keep this going, Jeff. I know there aren't many replies yet in this topic, but don't take that as a lack of interest. I'm sure there are plenty of others like me who are reading this and learning, but who don't have any constructive comments yet.

Steve

^^^ YES!!  Thanks to all.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2020, 11:25:13 AM »
     Jeff,
    The pictures on dollies and stacks of indistinguishable parts along side could be because this group had "over ride" traction bars which obviously would require interior removal. Your thoughts?
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2020, 11:52:30 AM »
     Jeff,
    The pictures on dollies and stacks of indistinguishable parts along side could be because this group had "over ride" traction bars which obviously would require interior removal. Your thoughts?
   Randy
Randy ,maybe so but given the carb install picture that would indicate a later car the time frame would most likely be after the time when the override were used.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2020, 12:43:27 PM »
    Bob ,
        Which one was the carb install? I didn't watch the video , just looked at the posted pictures.
      Randy

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2020, 02:31:51 PM »
    Bob ,
        Which one was the carb install? I didn't watch the video , just looked at the posted pictures.
      Randy
In the video a Ford carb is being installed on a automatic car . That would indicate probably after 900 or so. That was also the time that the override traction bars were discontinued.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2020, 03:25:22 PM »
   Thanks , I'll look at the film.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2020, 05:38:40 PM »
     Jeff,
   Randy

Not sure where your came up with the group being cars with the over-rides. I must have missed something. Nothing I've seen so far would determine when the film or individual shots were taken only when they couldn't ;)  Items "in front" (from the camera mans view) of the bins are sway bars.

The intake ( to be shown in the later sections of the film not yet posted) was being installed on dark colored (non- white) car. Can't make out a filler tube ( if there) for the automatic but  "IF" the that part of the film was taken around the same time of day the other sections were taken, of the line - those cars had chrome magnums which ( as you know) were most often seen on Hertz cars though other non-Hertz cars received them also.

Later in the film there is welding going on under one of the cars at the rear suggesting, possibly, that the worker was welding the forward under ride attachment point  to the frame rail
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2020, 05:43:15 PM »
Referring back to picture labeled AL8- Just to orientate the viewer to other pictures of the assembly line we've seen from 65 and 67 there is a large fan on the right hand side wall just in front of a large dark colored pipe. In colored pictures the lower part of the pipe is painted red. The spot, where ever it was in the large floor area seems to have been a popular point for many different camera people to shot pictures from.  Didn't mean to go off thread just wanted to offer offer that observation. Maybe we can discuss the changes made to the inside of this building through the years in other threads on that subject yet to be

OldGuy

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2020, 08:25:17 PM »
     Jeff,
   Randy

Not sure where your came up with the group being cars with the over-rides. I must have missed something. Nothing I've seen so far would determine when the film or individual shots were taken only when they couldn't ;)  Items "in front" (from the camera mans view) of the bins are sway bars.

The intake ( to be shown in the later sections of the film not yet posted) was being installed on dark colored (non- white) car. Can't make out a filler tube ( if there) for the automatic but  "IF" the that part of the film was taken around the same time of day the other sections were taken, of the line - those cars had chrome magnums which ( as you know) were most often seen on Hertz cars though other non-Hertz cars received them also.

Later in the film there is welding going on under one of the cars at the rear suggesting, possibly, that the worker was welding the forward under ride attachment point  to the frame rail

Randy's theory (regarding overriders) could be correct. According to the Registry, the installation of Autolite carbs began with serial #6S801 which had overriders, Koni's, Mico, etc. I also believe that the healthy amount of sparks/slag that is coming from the passenger side-rear are from a cutting torch (one of their favorite precision tools) being used to remove the factory outer rear end bump-stop brackets from the frame.

.........to be continued, I'm sure.

Frank

SFM6S087

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2020, 12:49:19 AM »
     Jeff,
   Randy

Randy's theory (regarding overriders) could be correct. According to the Registry, the installation of Autolite carbs began with serial #6S801 which had overriders, Koni's, Mico, etc. I also believe that the healthy amount of sparks/slag that is coming from the passenger side-rear are from a cutting torch (one of their favorite precision tools) being used to remove the factory outer rear end bump-stop brackets from the frame.

Frank

I believe the last car known to receive over-rides was 6S919 and the first car known to have under-rides was 6S923. If the Autolites started with 6S801 then it looks like these cars should be in the range between 6S801 and 6S919 (or possibly 6S922).

Steve

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2020, 01:25:57 AM »
     Jeff,
   Randy

Frank

I believe the last car known to receive over-rides was 6S919 and the first car known to have under-rides was 6S923. If the Autolites started with 6S801 then it looks like these cars should be in the range between 6S801 and 6S919 (or possibly 6S922).

Steve
Steve,you could narrow that down if the car can be confirmed to have overrides. I don't think that has been established yet.It is still a "could be"possibility however.