Author Topic: Clips and discussion of the 1966 Shelby French Film  (Read 15456 times)

Szabo

• View Profile
Re: Clips and discussion of the 1966 Shelby French Film
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2020, 06:15:12 PM »
There's a few frames at the 43-44 second mark that can narrow down the time period the film was taken, at least part of it, to March 1966, which puts the production firmly in underride territory.

This is just after Shelby drives through the guard booth in the 427 Cobra and parks next to the 66 GT350.  The calendar in the guard booth is plainly visible, not quite good enough resolution to clearly see the details but you can see the 1st day of the month is a Tuesday and there are 31 days.  The only 1966 calendar that matches that is March.  The race shop footage at the 2:53 mark matches this as we see what appears to be P/1015 still mostly in it's Daytona configuration.

The assumption of course is that the sequences showing the calendar, 66 GT350 production, and race shop footage were all shot at about the same time. That seems likely IMO, it makes sense journalists coming from France would do it all in the same trip.

Thanks you very much !!!

i tryed by myself but was not able to find the right Month...

this is awesome detectiv work, Mr. Holmes  :)

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2020, 10:12:56 PM »
This photo clearly shows the thin spacer required on cars with Autolite carbs so the carb would seal to the Cobra intake. I always thought the spacer was a B9AZ part, but the ones I've seen are black, the spacer in the photo looks almost white?

« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 12:20:53 AM by s2ms »
Dave - 6S1757

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2020, 10:59:52 PM »
I wonder if it was white asbestos like the header gaskets?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2020, 11:09:02 PM »
One thing I overlooked at mentioning in the AL9-11 picture set  was that the drivers side exterior mirror was not yet installed and none let in the next group of clips in the post that follows this one below.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 11:28:06 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2020, 11:11:18 PM »
Next section. In this very short clip we see a line of cars in the foreground and another line of cars (well at least one in the films view) behind. We see the rear most car being moved forward up tightly  :o to the other in front of it. All cars int he shot are again very dark exterior colored cars.

AL12-

AL13- Just some points I picked up on (sure I missed others) and wanted to share

From top left corner - clockwise

White Arrow - After reviewing this and other pictures we have this appears to be one of the paint booths at the plant.

Blue Arrow - Shows the other line or at least another car in the line behind and between the line in the foreground and the booth area -line

Yellow Arrow - Card placed at the windshield with the cars Ford sequential number and the Shelby VIN (this observation is from other similar pieces of paper seen in the same location)

Red Arrow - A worker in his white coveralls

Light Green Arrow - one or two cardboard boxes often used to organize hardware - nuts, bolts, small brackets and the like. Could be used to hold extra bolts needed to install Monte Carlo bars or hardware from items removed from the cars. Who knows at this point 55 plus years later

Purple Arrow - Interior extractor cover panels removed and not yet modified for 66 GT350's, all shoved, kindly  :) in a box. Not why they didn't get scratched allot given the handling.

Second Yellow Arrow - Not sure how that happened. :( Anyway a stack of cardboard boxes. Can't tell how wide each one is. Tall enough for oil pans?

AL14- Car gets moved up tightly behind the one on the left. Arrow points out that again the grill paint has not been removed nor the grill "running horse" emblem been installed at this point in the assembly line.

AL15- Nice and tight. To a point where it appears it would be difficult to move between the two cars

AL16- Last clip of this set. Angle changes to a closer view of one car.

Yellow Arrow - Another view of the paper or heavy stock with the VIN's to help identify the car to workers

Orange Arrow - Wiper blades are still covered with clear plastic bags/protectors that would be removed before the car was sold/dealer prep

Red Arrow - Exterior rear quarter panel extractor grills and panel  have been removed before this point in the conversion but the sheet metal has not yet been modified, it appears, for the quarter windows. On the interior area you can see sun light passing through the opening were on the drivers side its pretty dark to make out. Looking back we can also see the drivers side area better in AL12 and AL13

Blue Arrow - Ford assembly line stickers showing inspection. Like the wiper and seat covers these would be removed during dealer prep.

Purple Arrow - Again we see chrome Magnums like we have seen on all the cars where wheels are visible in this section of the film showing the inside's of the plant.

No copyright is claimed in [content copied] and to the extent that material may appear to be infringed, I assert that such alleged infringement is permissible under fair use principles in U.S. copyright laws. If you believe material has been used in an unauthorized manner, please contact the poster.

More to follow.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 07:13:29 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2020, 11:12:32 PM »
This photo clearly shows the thin spacer required on cars with Autolite carbs so the carb would seal to the Cobra intake. I always thought the spacer was a B9AZ part, but the ones I've seen are black, the spacer in the photo looks almost white?

Maybe one of a number of ones used/experimented with. Running change?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2020, 11:21:07 PM »
We already suspected by the dark shade in the B+W film that the cars were black and what with the automatic carb that these were Hertz. The chrome wheels pretty much confirms it when considered with the other clues.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2020, 11:22:33 PM »
No center caps yet installed on the Magnums?
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2020, 11:26:56 PM »
We already suspected by the dark shade in the B+W film that the cars were black and what with the automatic carb that these were Hertz. The chrome wheels pretty much confirms it when considered with the other clues.

Given the number of dark cars being built with chrome Magnums I would agree.  Of course we don't know if all the cars we're viewing are Autolite equipped cars we only get a look at the one.

Don't know how many green cars were built with chrome Magnums - Hertz and non-Hertz.  Always hard to tell with grainy old B&W  - guess they could be red but not many in that color also so Black is the best guess at this point.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2020, 11:30:11 PM »
No center caps yet installed on the Magnums?

Hard to tell but maybe. They may be on the cars in the other line shown in AL-9 to AL-11. Again not the best angle or picture

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2020, 11:51:52 PM »

Given the number of dark cars being built with chrome Magnums I would agree.  Of course we don't know if all the cars we're viewing are Autolite equipped cars we only get a look at the one.

Don't know how many green cars were built with chrome Magnums - Hertz and non-Hertz.  Always hard to tell with grainy old B&W  - guess they could be red but not many in that color also so Black is the best guess at this point.
I know you are playing devils advocate but Hertz cars were typically built with chrome rim wheels which is how they were specified and non Hertz cars were typically built with painted rim wheels and to a lessor degree tenspoke wheels . I suppose a non hertz car could have been given the chrome wheels by mistake or special order of some type . However what is more likely ? Dark/black ,automatic car with chrome rim wheels that only Hertz cars were supposed to get being a Hertz specified car or a regular Shelby with automatic and with Hertz wheels that got put on by mistake or by special order?   

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2020, 12:00:07 AM »
..........................However what is more likely ?

That is why I posted "Given the number of dark cars being built with chrome Magnums I would agree."  The discussion does allow us to talk about the possibilities - so was exploring the possibilities

Dark/black ,automatic car with chrome rim wheels that only Hertz cars were supposed to get being a Hertz specified car or a regular Shelby with automatic and with Hertz wheels that got put on by mistake or by special order?

Never went through the registry to see how many non-Hertz received chrome Magnums. Would suspect that these were most likely automatic cars also built at Shelby with Hertz cars to make things easier rather than switching back and forth between manuals and automatic. The numbering of the cars ( Shelby sequential order) might support/suggest this also. Someone might possibly has already does a survey or research of that detail. Shouldn't be that many.  Believe I know of at least one off hand

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2020, 10:16:42 AM »
    Also of interest is none of the cars have the wheel center caps. You would think they would be in place by then since the wheel had to be off to install them.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

hertz350

• 509-953-8400
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2020, 02:46:13 PM »
Any pictures that show or suggest that radio antennas were installed?
Own SFM6S1624, Black Hertz Automatic built 3/66 now concours trailered restored by Ken Degenstein. Former owner of 1042 a red Hertz automatic and 1643 a black automatic Hertz

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2020, 03:19:24 PM »
Any pictures that show or suggest that radio antennas were installed?

Since all 66 GT350's didn't get ordered with radios there would be some with and some without. Given we believe that the group of cars the film covers were likely Hertz cars most of those had the radio installed and in turn the antenna but like the mirror that section of the line was not filmed or at least included in the final film as we see it. Many of the cars without factory radios had aftermarket radios installed by the first or a later owner or the new buyer had the dealership install one of their choosing