Author Topic: Clips and discussion of the 1966 Shelby French Film  (Read 15455 times)

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: Clips and discussion of the 1966 Shelby French Film
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2020, 03:20:40 PM »
Next segment. At this point the film shows to workers installing the aluminum intake with Autolite 4100 installed. As a reminder this film is one great opportunity to see what SA was doing on this particular day. We have to look to other resources to determine (if we can) what may have  taken place in the months prior or the ones after these films were taken.

Lots of details just choose some to point out. Some may seem basic and obvious for many of you but remember we have allot of viewers that might not have the as many years as some of us in the hobby and just want to learn so pointing our some of them as I go through the stills :)

I1-  Prepared intake with carb, temperature sender, vacuum fittings and thermostat housing install and sitting  ::) on a fender cover ready to be installed. You can clearly see that the thermostat housing is the painted one from the original cast iron intake with the factory masked off necks as done at the Ford engine plant.

I2-  Distributor cap and spark plug wires removed the worker on the driver's side of the car tilts the intake so he can slip it under the distributor. In later pictures you can see that the rotor is set so its facing directly forward. On purpose for a purpose?

I3- 

Red arrow - Heater hoses

Purple arrow - Another look at the painted housing and masked/bare hose necks

Dark Blue arrow - New light colored intake gasket

White arrow - Chrome valve covers still in place

Lavender arrow - Looks like the fuel line disconnected at the top end and pulled out of the way at this point

I4-  Moving the intake into its resting point

I5- 

Yellow arrow - Cardboard box with dist cap and wires (maybe more small items) sits on the cowl and propped up by the windshield

Orange arrow - A couple of shop rags placed under the box to protect the cowl paint

Lavender arrow - Machined surfaces contrast against the fresh cast look of the main body of the COBRA intake. Can't make out in the film where the FIRING ORDER is located on the intake : ( 

No copyright is claimed in [content copied] and to the extent that material may appear to be infringed, I assert that such alleged infringement is permissible under fair use principles in U.S. copyright laws. If you believe material has been used in an unauthorized manner, please contact the poster.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 07:13:50 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2020, 03:20:58 PM »
Intake installation continued

I6-  Passenger side worker reaches in (puprle arrow) and possibly helps guide the radiator hose or bypass hose back on the thermostat

I7- 

I8-  A couple more details? to share

Light Teal arrow- Could this be the brazed on radiator tag that we would expect to find on most of the 66 GT350's and that would also match the time period we believe these cars were built? Looks like it

Medium Blue arrow- Possibly the W-MO and date in the top tank

Light Blue arrow -  Blank flat section where the radiator ID was stamped on earlier versions of the San Jose radiator.

I9-  Passenger side grabs some intake manifold bolts and starts each one on his side of the intake.

I10-  Just a couple of observations

Orange arrow - Appears to be the wire style of radiator hose clamps on the upper hose. As we would expect  of we have the correct 1966 month

Green arrow - Engine feed wire loom ID label/tag

I11- 

I12-  Driver side worker is back with a handful of intake manifold bolts to start on his side of the intake

Green arrow- Air cleaner stub appears to have never been removed from the Autolite carb during the swap

Yellow arrow- Couple of intake manifold bolts

No copyright is claimed in [content copied] and to the extent that material may appear to be infringed, I assert that such alleged infringement is permissible under fair use principles in U.S. copyright laws. If you believe material has been used in an unauthorized manner, please contact the poster.

One last section to follow
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 07:14:10 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2020, 04:50:30 PM »
    That means the memo Bob has about the Cleveland Engine Plant "dressing" the engines prior to shipment to San Jose was recinded before this and SAI returned to doing the conversions. This matches the statement from Bert Brown who worked in "the pit" doing header and oil pan changes. Bert stayed with Shelby until Shelby Racing Co closed.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2020, 05:38:21 PM »
Almost forgot to add the very short clip showing the work bench.

To complete the 66 Shelby assembly line section of the film we have a very short section showing a new intake on a work bench, a 4100 Autolite in the back ground and a worker installing the fittings on the new intake.

In the clip the worker is installing the vacuum line to the rear intake brass fitting and tightening it. Int he picture you can see that the heater hose nipple is already installed. In this picture it appears to be a new one rather than one swapped from the original cast iron intake. If it was we would see the bare section where the nipple would have been masked off and have no paint on it in contrast to the rest of the painted body.  Also the finish of the intake shows the freshly machined surfaces from another angle not seen in the earlier pictures were the areas around the bolt holes were visible and in these pictures the carb mounting surface and the COBRA stand out in contrast to the cast surface of the intake.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 07:14:28 PM by J_Speegle »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2020, 07:32:35 PM »
I wanted to add for those reading who may not be aware that given the carburetor and the vacuum port being installed the intake is intended for a automatic car. A four speed car would have the second vacuum port plugged and a Holley carburetor.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2020, 06:04:48 PM »
Parking Lot 2

PL2- Appears (due to color and stripe) to be a group of white Hertz 66 GT350

In this picture you can see the identification cards in the front windshield and the outline of the tach.

If your wondering. At this side of the parking lot there was a sound wall between this area and the runways on the other side.

I think we can use this batch of white Hertz cars to further pinpoint the filming date...

I count 23 white cars as the film pans this section.  According to the 2011 Registry, pg. 757, there was only one batch of white Hertz cars that large. 35 cars are listed spanning (non-sequential) SAI VINs 6S1204 - 6S1253, all shipped between March 7 - March 16. Based on the shipping dates listed I believe the film date is most likely March 10 or March 11.
Dave - 6S1757

Wedgeman

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2020, 06:35:04 PM »
Hey Dave ( S2MS ) what did we start with this film clip ?... :o

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2020, 06:41:11 PM »
I think we can use this batch of white Hertz cars to further pinpoint the filming date...

I count 23 white cars as the film pans this section.  According to the 2011 Registry, pg. 757, there was only one batch of white Hertz cars that large. 35 cars are listed spanning (non-sequential) SAI VINs 6S1204 - 6S1253, all shipped between March 7 - March 16. Based on the shipping dates listed I believe the film date is most likely March 10 or March 11.

Might be off by a few days. Of course (at this moment) we don't know which of the 35 cars in that order (from San Jose) were in that holding/parking area when the film was made. Guess you have already done a color break down to see if the number of white cars is near or close to your 23 count.

Didn't go through all the cars (have some other studies on my plate right this moment) but see a fair number of cars in a quick scan were already shipped out by March 10th

If allot of the cars represent this group of cars plus a few from earlier San Jose orders looks to be first of March IMHO at this point

Great to have a discussion :)

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2020, 09:24:12 PM »
Hey Dave ( S2MS ) what did we start with this film clip ?... :o

Yes sir, fun stuff! YOU get credit for starting it with your FB post... 8)
Dave - 6S1757

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2020, 09:41:34 PM »
Might be off by a few days. Of course (at this moment) we don't know which of the 35 cars in that order (from San Jose) were in that holding/parking area when the film was made. Guess you have already done a color break down to see if the number of white cars is near or close to your 23 count.

Didn't go through all the cars (have some other studies on my plate right this moment) but see a fair number of cars in a quick scan were already shipped out by March 10th

If allot of the cars represent this group of cars plus a few from earlier San Jose orders looks to be first of March IMHO at this point

Great to have a discussion :)

Yes, hoping to get the discussion going again!

Certainly some assumptions here, I'm just going on the Registry info showing the listed 35 white Hertz cars being shipped in March and the film apparently shows 23 of them. No other production block of white Hertz cars is even close to that and outside of those 35, none were shipped in March. The last white Hertz shipped before March was shipped in January. This batch in March was the last batch of white Hertz cars produced.

The cars were shipped on 5 separate days:

March 7th - 1 car
March 8th - 9 cars
March 10th - 3 cars
March 11th - 10 cars
March 16th - 12 cars

Just looking at and juggling those numbers, March 10 or 11 makes the most sense IMO to have 23 cars in the lot.
Dave - 6S1757

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2020, 11:07:05 PM »
The cars were shipped (out - my addition) on 5 separate days:

March 7th - 1 car
March 8th - 9 cars
March 10th - 3 cars
March 11th - 10 cars
March 16th - 12 cars

Just looking at and juggling those numbers, March 10 or 11 makes the most sense IMO to have 23 cars in the lot.

Thanks - see how you reached the dates you did.

If the date were  March 6th for example and the first four of those groups were finished and parked in the lot waiting to be shipped out (last group not built yet) Your total would be exactly 23. Where your groups would equal 25 or 22.

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2020, 11:59:29 PM »
Thanks - see how you reached the dates you did.

If the date were  March 6th for example and the first four of those groups were finished and parked in the lot waiting to be shipped out (last group not built yet) Your total would be exactly 23. Where your groups would equal 25 or 22.

Yeah, I was looking at a rough average chance of 23 cars being on the lot at the same time compared with the listed shipping dates. Your scenario makes perfect sense too.

Looking at the Registry individual car details brings up another variable. All these cars had radios installed by Hi-Performance Motors anywhere from 2-11 days before being shipped out. Were they shipped or driven to HP motors for the install? Regardless looks like there was a fair amount of activity on the lot at any given time making it harder to narrow down a specific date than I originally thought.
Dave - 6S1757

S7MS427

• View Profile
    • S-Tech Enterprises, LLC
« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2020, 09:14:22 PM »
Looking at the Registry individual car details brings up another variable. All these cars had radios installed by Hi-Performance Motors anywhere from 2-11 days before being shipped out. Were they shipped or driven to HP motors for the install? Regardless looks like there was a fair amount of activity on the lot at any given time making it harder to narrow down a specific date than I originally thought.

I'm going to take a shot at this and say that the HP Motors installations were done by a crew that physically did the work on site at LAX.  Make more sense to me than to drive or ship the cars somewhere else.
Roy Simkins
http://www.S-TechEnt.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2020, 09:23:14 PM »
Not to say  ( we just don't know at this time) your not correct but allot of things "make sense" looking back though they might have not at the time for other reasons we don't know. In this case did the boss's at HP want to send guys over to Shelby every day? For where they sat maybe that didn't make sense. For some of the cars HP might have just been a shop along the way to where they were being sent and they may have even been able to install the radios while the cars were on the transport. 

So many questions that will likely never be answered :)

S7MS427

• View Profile
    • S-Tech Enterprises, LLC
« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2020, 09:25:39 PM »
But it is fun to speculate, Jeff.  Thanks for posting this.

By the way, is there any way to identify which intake variation is being installed here?
Roy Simkins
http://www.S-TechEnt.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040