Author Topic: Clips and discussion of the 1966 Shelby French Film  (Read 15454 times)

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: Clips and discussion of the 1966 Shelby French Film
« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2020, 09:30:22 PM »
But it is fun to speculate, Jeff.  Thanks for posting this.

By the way, is there any way to identify which intake variation is being installed here?

Squinted and adjusted the poor resolution clip we had and could not make out any/or if there was any raised printing on the front runner to suggest which intake was in the close up shot.  But did think of that and tried.  Good thought
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2020, 10:47:40 PM »
But it is fun to speculate, Jeff.  Thanks for posting this.

By the way, is there any way to identify which intake variation is being installed here?
In #14 and #15 I can see the notch for dist clearance. That gives a pretty good idea which intake given the squared off Cobra version is earlier. Also the earlier picture showed the additional vacuum port on the intake and tube for automatic modulator .   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #77 on: June 11, 2020, 12:33:05 AM »
In #14 and #15 I can see the notch for dist clearance. That gives a pretty good idea which intake given the squared off Cobra version is earlier. Also the earlier picture showed the additional vacuum port on the intake and tube for automatic modulator .   

+1, the notched Cobra matches what we have seen for this production period. No way to tell if the front runner has the firing order as Jeff mentioned since the installer's hand is perfectly in the way, guess he was thinking someone would be interested in this stuff 50+ years later.

IMO all the intake shots from I1-I12 show a silver style fuel filter as opposed to the bronze-gold style. Not enough resolution to tell if it has an Autolite or Rotunda logo, or perhaps the markings were rotated and not visible to the camera.
Dave - 6S1757

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2020, 11:34:04 AM »
I was able to find a better (best?) resolution version of the film owned by a media archiving institute in Paris. Even though the resolution is much better, there isn't enough IMO to give much more useful detail.  Plus it would require licensing the film, or sections of it, to share on here, which would be rather expensive.

Per the license agreement I'm allowed to post just one still frame, chose this one as it shows this car does have shock tower washers. I've been keeping track of the 66's without washers for over 20 years and was actually hoping to see evidence of washerless cars at SAI. But this actually makes sense, based on the time frame the film was taken, these cars are most likely in the 1200's to possibly early 1300's and from my records the washerless cars don't start showing up until the late 1400's.

This frame also shows the carb spacer discussed in another thread...

Dave - 6S1757

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2020, 12:40:27 PM »

+1, the notched Cobra matches what we have seen for this production period. No way to tell if the front runner has the firing order as Jeff mentioned since the installer's hand is perfectly in the way, guess he was thinking someone would be interested in this stuff 50+ years later.

IMO all the intake shots from I1-I12 show a silver style fuel filter as opposed to the bronze-gold style. Not enough resolution to tell if it has an Autolite or Rotunda logo, or perhaps the markings were rotated and not visible to the camera.

Dave,
         I have Rotunda and Autolite logo ( red ink) silver body fuel filters. the gold ones are Motorcraft. ( that I have anyway)
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2020, 02:47:20 PM »
For the moment I'm not focusing on what was the original finish of the fuel filter was for mid year 66's just how problematic using B&W pictures are in determining original finishes.

IMHO I don't believe you could determine the difference between a zinc plated fuel filter and one that had a slight gold die on the surface in a black and white picture, especially without the same finishes confirmed in the same picture of both the finishes to compare to. One of the challenges of black and white.

To help demonstrate  - I can't tell from just the picture below which one or more are plated which color or if they were all the same,  though I know what each are and the resolution is much much better than the French clip I believe. Just offering for discussion

« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 04:29:15 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2020, 04:29:29 PM »
I was able to find a better (best?) resolution version of the film owned by a media archiving institute in Paris. Even though the resolution is much better, there isn't enough IMO to give much more useful detail.  Plus it would require licensing the film, or sections of it, to share on here, which would be rather expensive.

Per the license agreement I'm allowed to post just one still frame, chose this one as it shows this car does have shock tower washers. I've been keeping track of the 66's without washers for over 20 years and was actually hoping to see evidence of washerless cars at SAI. But this actually makes sense, based on the time frame the film was taken, these cars are most likely in the 1200's to possibly early 1300's and from my records the washerless cars don't start showing up until the late 1400's.

This frame also shows the carb spacer discussed in another thread...

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2020, 04:30:27 PM »

Thanks for taking the effort to both chase down the current owners and explore the possibilities

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2020, 04:52:46 PM »
  This is a fantastic testament as to how this group (at least) was built. The amount of dis assembly and work done shows exactly why cost cutting measures were employed and production was so slow. Thanks to all who have contributed.
   Randy

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #84 on: July 08, 2020, 07:52:57 PM »
Thanks for taking the effort to both chase down the current owners and explore the possibilities

My pleasure Jeff, this whole topic has not only been interesting and educational but also fun!
Dave - 6S1757

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #85 on: July 08, 2020, 08:17:46 PM »
For the moment I'm not focusing on what was the original finish of the fuel filter was for mid year 66's just how problematic using B&W pictures are in determining original finishes.

IMHO I don't believe you could determine the difference between a zinc plated fuel filter and one that had a slight gold die on the surface in a black and white picture, especially without the same finishes confirmed in the same picture of both the finishes to compare to. One of the challenges of black and white.

To help demonstrate  - I can't tell from just the picture below which one or more are plated which color or if they were all the same,  though I know what each are and the resolution is much much better than the French clip I believe. Just offering for discussion

It would not be easy but I'm going to disagree, a little. The filter nut is silver on both the zinc plated filter and the goldish hue filter making it a valuable reference IMO.  The filter in the film sequence goes through many different camera angles as the intake is lowered into place, I believe we would see a slight difference in the body shade compared to the nut somewhere in that sequence if it was the gold filter, and I just do not see that in this case.

I was really hoping the high res film version would show more detail, especially the filter logo, but nope...

Dave - 6S1757

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 08, 2020, 09:47:05 PM »
+1. the zinc dichromate typically shows up as the darker shade. Admittedly it would be slight in a BW photo but the nut is a good reference .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #87 on: July 08, 2020, 10:19:37 PM »
It would not be easy but I'm going to disagree, a little. The filter nut is silver on both the zinc plated filter and the goldish hue filter making it a valuable reference IMO. 

Well not on all of the examples I posted plus yours were posted and converted at a higher resolution.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this point ;)

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #88 on: July 08, 2020, 11:51:30 PM »
Well not on all of the examples I posted plus yours were posted and converted at a higher resolution.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this point ;)

Fair enough on both points. I was referring only to the OE style with the thicker nut we see in the film and period car mag test articles.

Anyway, no need to even "agree to disagree" at this point, just need more discussion, and most importantly, more examples!

Dave - 6S1757

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 09, 2020, 11:20:50 AM »
   Thanks from me too Dave! I had never seen the "gold" Autolite version you have shown. That is great to see. I agree we aren't arguing , just "discovering" . No other entity goes to the extremes we do here. Again ALL due to the super sleuths HERE that "give a damn" about originality.
    Randy