News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

68 shelby brake lines- Rear

Started by hurlbird, April 28, 2020, 02:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hurlbird

i need new rear lines including the long one. Is there a recomended manufacturer to be using that is "most corect' and how do i know if i have a 28 or 31 spline without taking things apart? GT 350 4spd Con. thanks!!

KR500

For your car get the 28 spline set. For 1968 the set they say is for 31 spline only fit 428CJ 4 speed cars, automatic 428CJ's even though they are 31 splines use the same lines as the 28 spline axles. The difference is in the rear brake hose. The 4 speed 428CJ cars have staggered rear shocks and use a different ( longer with a different fitting size ) brake hose than the A/T cars The A/T car use the same brake hose regardless if it is 28 or 31 spline. The 4 speed 428cj cars have a different size tube nut size on one of the one axle brake lines that screws in to the hose block. I think it is the same situation in 1969 also.
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

hurlbird

thanks for the advice. Do you have an opinion on who manufactures the most original looking lines? -John

CharlesTurner

Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

KR500

68blk500c

Wasn't there a topic recently about preferred lines?  Try searching.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: KR500 on April 29, 2020, 09:11:16 AM
I have used Fine Lines
Rodney ,fine lines was my go to Co. but then they changed the tube they use and have gone to the tube that has the bluesh gray look to it and not the Terne steel look like before.  They told me it was all they could get . I understand that the Terne steel finish has been regulated out of existence. Classic Tube uses something that has a better comparable look .I and others have started to buy from them because of it. You might want to check into it.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

CharlesTurner

Quote from: Bob Gaines on April 29, 2020, 11:46:44 AM
Rodney ,fine lines was my go to Co. but then they changed the tube they use and have gone to the tube that has the bluesh gray look to it and not the Terne steel look like before.  They told me it was all they could get . I understand that the Terne steel finish has been regulated out of existence. Classic Tube uses something that has a better comparable look .I and others have started to buy from them because of it. You might want to check into it.

+1... also Paul Fix owns Classic Tube - SAAC member and Shelby owner too!
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

KR500

Bob
Thanks for the heads up on the lines.

hurlbird

I got Finelines and they aren't very good. Pebble guards aren't even close and the bends are directionally correct not precise. This caused me to have a very rough time installing considering the location of the prop value and the crazy angles on the rear end junction. Stay away.

TLea

For years the parts vendors had complicated Shelby/Mustang rear axle brake lines by describing with 28/31 spline listing. Several years ago Scott Halseth (NPD)  asked me what fits what so they could avoid confusion. Very simple, 9" with staggered shocks, 9" without staggered. Now they list that way. They carry Classic Tube

Bob Gaines

Quote from: hurlbird on May 10, 2020, 09:05:58 AM
I got Finelines and they aren't very good. Pebble guards aren't even close and the bends are directionally correct not precise. This caused me to have a very rough time installing considering the location of the prop value and the crazy angles on the rear end junction. Stay away.
FYI it is typical to have to do tweaking of at least some bends with just about any brake line MFG IMO. Some more then others . do you have a better alternative that provides the correct look and superior bends because there are many myself included that would like to hear about it?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

hurlbird

I haven't compared the brands thus the inquiry/survey here. Tweaks I get perhaps each has a different tolerance... BUT in the end id look elsewhere is my contribution to the next person who has the same question I did about a good reproduction brand.