News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Oil Cooler

Started by 67411F--0100-ENG., March 09, 2018, 02:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67411F--0100-ENG.

Hello Everyone,

When 0100 was photographed and road tested by Sports Car Graphic (12/9/66) and photographed by Motor Trend (12/12/66), it was equipped with an oil cooler that was not your typical '67 Shelby oil cooler.  I have attached a severely cropped photo of the grille and core support area on the passenger side of 0100 that was taken by Sports Car Graphic.  The top of the oil cooler is up against the side of the passenger side hood pin/grille support in the photo.  I am assuming this was something that SA may have used on another vehicle.  Do any of you recognize the cooler?  Please let me know.

Thanks,
Eric

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 67411F--0100-ENG. on March 09, 2018, 02:43:15 PM
Hello Everyone,

When 0100 was photographed and road tested by Sports Car Graphic (12/9/66) and photographed by Motor Trend (12/12/66), it was equipped with an oil cooler that was not your typical '67 Shelby oil cooler.  I have attached a severely cropped photo of the grille and core support area on the passenger side of 0100 that was taken by Sports Car Graphic.  The top of the oil cooler is up against the side of the passenger side hood pin/grille support in the photo.  I am assuming this was something that SA may have used on another vehicle.  Do any of you recognize the cooler?  Please let me know.

Thanks,
Eric
Can you post a slightly less cropped picture?  I am having a hard time getting a point of reference. Seeing better the surroundings could maybe help with a point of reference.You would have R model coolers,GT40, Comp cobra coolers to name a few that would most likely be around at the shop. A better point of reference could give me a chance at making sense of the picture. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

What does the full pic look like?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

acman63

Im thinking same oil cooler as used on the Ford GT race cars
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

67411F--0100-ENG.

Hello Everyone,

The first photo is the only one that was taken from above and actually shows part of the cooler.  This photo was taken on 12/12/66 by Motor Trend.  Notice the grille has been cut for the hose and fitting.  Also notice the hoses zip tied together down next to the driver's side strut rod.  Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,
Eric

SFM5S000

Looks like a Harrison to me, mounted with the veins flowing Top to bottom.

Cheers,
~Earl J

shelbydoug

It's difficult to make out clearly but what Jim said. It has the general outline of the GT40 coolers.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

67411F--0100-ENG.

Quote from: shelbydoug on March 09, 2018, 03:38:22 PM
What does the full pic look like?

Hello Doug,

The full size photo file is 31.3 MB.  Way too large to post on this forum.

Thanks,
Eric

67411F--0100-ENG.

Quote from: Bob Gaines on March 09, 2018, 02:54:31 PM
Hello Everyone,

Thanks,
Eric
Can you post a slightly less cropped picture?  I am having a hard time getting a point of reference. Seeing better the surroundings could maybe help with a point of reference.You would have R model coolers,GT40, Comp cobra coolers to name a few that would most likely be around at the shop. A better point of reference could give me a chance at making sense of the picture.

Hello Bob,

I had to crop the photo down that far to be able to post it.  Any larger and it kicks out as exceeding the allowable file size.

Thanks,
Eric

shelbydoug

It vaguely looks like one of these doesn't it?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 67411F--0100-ENG. on March 09, 2018, 05:52:09 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on March 09, 2018, 02:54:31 PM
Hello Everyone,

Thanks,
Eric

Hello Bob,

I had to crop the photo down that far to be able to post it.  Any larger and it kicks out as exceeding the allowable file size.

Thanks,
Eric
Eric, if you want my opinion you will have to email it to me then .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

67411F--0100-ENG.

Quote from: SFM5S000 on March 09, 2018, 04:23:47 PM
Looks like a Harrison to me, mounted with the veins flowing Top to bottom.

Cheers,
~Earl J

Hello Everyone,

Earl thinks it is a Harrison.  I found this photo of a Harrison cooler on line.  I think it is pretty close.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Eric

Dang, I can only imagine how challenging mounting that cooler between the grill and radiator was.

JD

Quote from: Bob Gaines on March 09, 2018, 07:35:16 PM

Bob does this help?

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

Quote from: JD on March 10, 2018, 12:16:19 AM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on March 09, 2018, 07:35:16 PM

Bob does this help?
Yes it does. It looks like earl is right IMO. Really wild that they would engineer the cooler on the passenger side and have that long feed and return hose. This is really interesting.