Author Topic: Finned aluminum pan for C4 availability?  (Read 5076 times)

TJinSA

• View Profile
Finned aluminum pan for C4 availability?
« on: April 30, 2020, 06:09:00 AM »
Given recent discussion of leaky C4 oil pans:

I’ve constantly got a leak from the pan gasket.

I’ve removed the pan and straightened the ridge along the bolt holes, refitted a cork gasket and torqued the bolts to 15 foot pounds.

The leak continues.

I’ve don’t it 3 times and still leaks.

I welcome suggestions as to what can fix this problem.

Acknowledging an aluminum pan for a C4 transmission is not original, is there a fully finned no-name pan out there, or one with enough meat so any raised name can be ball milled down to remove the name (or just leave the finned remnants there of)?
Tom Kubler
6S296

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Finned aluminum pan for C4 availability?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 07:01:39 AM »
I haven't seen them in 30 years or so BUT there were three that appeared around the time that I bought my COBRA 351c oil pan. Maybe 1978 or so.

There were two depths. Standard and extended depth. Plain finned and COBRA lettered.

You are going to need to make the rounds with the vendors. I'd start with Branda since he has carried so many different products and see if they remember or know the source?

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 07:37:09 AM »
As I recall, didn’t B&M offer one? Polished Cast aluminum with fins on the bottom and the B&M logo in the center of the fins. The ones I remember seeing in magazine ads I think were not C4 applications. Anyway that’s what I remember. A Cobra one would be cool. Good luck in your search.

Cheers,
~Earl J
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 07:39:33 AM by SFM5S000 »

Rukiddin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 08:17:05 AM »
There are a few sources for the C4 ,aluminum pans. Most all are about 1” deeper than most stock pans and come with filter extension. Most Mustangs use a “case fill” ,where fill tube enters the case,not the pan. I think they have plenty of “meat” to mill a design.

TA Coupe

• View Profile
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 08:31:49 AM »
Be careful on the deep pans. They really hang down in harms way. Standard depth is safest in a Mustang. A pickup truck is another story. It's up there.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 11:25:35 AM »
   I have several. two from B&M, one "rare" one made by Craig Conley with COBRA logo in the finned area ( no not for sale) and a couple from SpeedMaster ( AKA Procomp). They use a bolt on pickup extension and Chrysler Torqueflite filter. These hold about two additional quarts and when used with a"modern" paper gasket and virtually leak free. They don't hang down lower than headers .
     Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 12:12:38 PM »
My vote would be for the no name Summit pan if you wanted to go with a extra cooling finned pan . The Cobra ones are extremely rare.I haven't seen one for sale for many years.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2020, 12:59:39 PM »
   I have several. two from B&M, one "rare" one made by Craig Conley with COBRA logo in the finned area ( no not for sale) and a couple from SpeedMaster ( AKA Procomp). They use a bolt on pickup extension and Chrysler Torqueflite filter. These hold about two additional quarts and when used with a"modern" paper gasket and virtually leak free. They don't hang down lower than headers .
     Randy

Headers don't really care much if you put a flat spot on the collectors. The filter and pickup on the pan might feel differently and cast aluminum doesn't like getting crunched?

There was one cast iron manhole here, sticking up about 1-1/2" higher then it should have been. Towers would hang out near it waiting for the next victim. It was like that for ten years and I keep thinking of the Mangusta that needed a skid plate to help the bellhousing survive?

Do you need extra fluid capacity on a c4? I do think I had the B&M pan on the car when the c4 was still in it?

Don't mind me. I'm normally paranoid.

Here's another tip. When you are in the field and you hear this whip, whip buzzing at your ears, you don't stand up and say WTF, you get down on your belly because that sound is someone shooting at you from a distance and the bullets are whizzing past your ears.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 01:04:58 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2020, 01:42:50 PM »
   In my case I have a 3" smaller than stock diameter convertor which loses about two quarts of volume and it slips more generating more heat.  For that reason I use the deep pan. Good thing is it doesn't see street miles.   
    Randy

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2020, 03:39:28 PM »
   In my case I have a 3" smaller than stock diameter convertor which loses about two quarts of volume and it slips more generating more heat.  For that reason I use the deep pan. Good thing is it doesn't see street miles.   
    Randy

I decide by making a fist. If I can hold it vertically between the ground and the item, that's enough clearance. If it only fits horizontally, then that's a no go.

Some of the gas stations here also have very high filler necks for the tanks. They don't think so. They call me an AH.

Now if they actually knew me, then that's harder for me to defend against but just out of the blue, they have no documentation?

« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 03:43:52 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2020, 05:19:05 PM »
Is this what you are trying to find.  It is aftermarket.  Too nice to put on a car and not see.

Take care

Cory

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2020, 05:24:03 PM »
Cory ,
    That is a "newer" version than mine. Mine has the fins going front to back and has two COBRA logos ( similar to a '65 intake) in between the outer fins on each side.
   Randy

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2020, 05:46:22 PM »
Cory ,
    That is a "newer" version than mine. Mine has the fins going front to back and has two COBRA logos ( similar to a '65 intake) in between the outer fins on each side.
   Randy

The one I had seen has the COBRA on the sides.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2020, 06:02:16 PM »
Cory ,
   Randy

Hi Randy,

Do you have a image to share?  I'd love to see.  When you say "newer" are we talking 1990's, 1980's or ?  I wold guess my pan is a least 40 years old, but just guess.  For sure it is not the 60's.

Take care

Cory