Author Topic: Finned aluminum pan for C4 availability?  (Read 5074 times)

KerryBWhite

• View Profile
Re: Finned aluminum pan for C4 availability?
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2020, 08:11:55 PM »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2020, 10:03:07 PM »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

TJinSA

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2020, 10:22:58 PM »
Cory ,
    That is a "newer" version than mine. Mine has the fins going front to back and has two COBRA logos ( similar to a '65 intake) in between the outer fins on each side.
   Randy

The one I had seen has the COBRA on the sides.

That is the one I think seeing at one time, but also Cory's. The double small lettered pans-- on ebay and as described by Rusty are new to me. The one on ebay not being machined has my spidey senses going off-- bad casting, discarded before machining? Mating surfaces too thin?... the small innocuous (almost hidden) "COBRA" .... dont know... (even knowing wjo was behind the original castings)

I would like a finned pan on the car at the least; COBRA lettered on the sides a definite plus...

Come to think about it I wounder about macining my own with the intertwined CS on the sides with the C and S ends extended out as two side fins with 1 or 2 to balance?...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 10:54:34 PM by TJinSA »
Tom Kubler
6S296

john galt

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2020, 07:13:45 AM »
Cory ,
    That is a "newer" version than mine. Mine has the fins going front to back and has two COBRA logos ( similar to a '65 intake) in between the outer fins on each side.
   Randy

Less than ten cast alum Cobra C4 deep pans (like Cory's) were made in the late 70's to early 80's. So, they are nearly 40 years old.  As Randy said, the pans came with a steel bolt on extension to place a Chrysler Torq filter close to the bottom of the pan. The COBRA script was done to compliment the COBRA script on the engine oil pan.  Very heavy 356-T6 casting (think bubba with a floor jack).

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2020, 09:33:25 AM »
Currently on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/383525080202

What’s funny to me is after looking closely at this person’s auction pics and knowing what’s currently available on different avenues, is this person to me seemingly pieced this “cobra” C4 pan together.
As an example, Craig Conley sells on eBay this “cobra” emblem practically identical to what’s on an early Cobra or GT350 manifold. (I’m not picking on C Conley as this piece is available from a number of vendors, it just my example).
The person selling the pan, again to me looks like the similar pieces were fitted and attached (looks like tiny tig welds)/ tacked to a cheap cast pan, then painted. Look at my last attached close up pic. Doesn’t that look like a seam? The emblem is raised and attached to the sides of the fins, and they’re not even. Then painted ... pretty funny.  It’s guys and parts like this one needs to watch for.

Cheers,
~Earl J

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2020, 10:46:55 AM »
Currently on ebay

That is exactly what I have. The number inside is the B&M part number. IIRC these were made at Buddy Barr in the 80's for Craig. I don't think he ever advertised them for sale. Mine too was un machined when I got it from Craig except on the gasket surface.
 They are NOT SAI parts but are cool as hell.
   Randy
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 10:53:41 AM by gt350hr »
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

TJinSA

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2020, 11:25:18 AM »
Hopefully, NOBODY, will EVER think any of the are from SAI. They are ALL someone else's imaginative creation to satisfy some inner designer/engineer, or market void. I leave this as a marker for anyone stumbling on this thread and coming away misinformed.
Tom Kubler
6S296

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2020, 11:47:51 AM »
Currently on ebay

What’s funny to me is after looking closely at this person’s auction pics and knowing what’s currently available on different avenues, is this person to me seemingly pieced this “cobra” C4 pan together.
As an example, Craig Conley sells on eBay this “cobra” emblem practically identical to what’s on an early Cobra or GT350 manifold. (I’m not picking on C Conley as this piece is available from a number of vendors, it just my example).
The person selling the pan, again to me looks like the similar pieces were fitted and attached (looks like tiny tig welds)/ tacked to a cheap cast pan, then painted. Look at my last attached close up pic. Doesn’t that look like a seam? The emblem is raised and attached to the sides of the fins, and they’re not even. Then painted ... pretty funny.  It’s guys and parts like this one needs to watch for.

Cheers,
~Earl J
Earl, FYI Craig made those Cobra intake letters (notice the notch on the end like genuine) so that vintage racers could weld them to intake . After getting rid of OEM mfg trademark the racers would weld the Cobra trademark on so as to comply with vintage regulations that allowed a Cobra marked intake on a GT350.  The scrutineers would only look for "Cobra" even if on a Edelbrock single plane torker intake and "most " of the time let it pass. Also the intake one is much bigger the the one in between the fins of the pan on ebay.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 11:49:25 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2020, 12:48:25 PM »
  Funny you should mention that Bob. I have a Vic Jr done by Dave Dralle( rip) with the COBRA "grafted" onto #1 runner. It took about two seconds to be "outlawed" at a vintage race. Dave "just happened to have" a dual plane at the track so his customer WAS able to race after re inspection LOL.
   Randy

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2020, 01:20:47 PM »
I too remember when Jack Schroll tried to get away with a cobra emblem welded onto the first gen Edelbrock Torker. He got it past a couple races but was eventually caught. His more recent busts involved fireworks...

~E

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2020, 02:27:37 PM »
I too remember when Jack Schroll tried to get away with a cobra emblem welded onto the first gen Edelbrock Torker. He got it past a couple races but was eventually caught. His more recent busts involved fireworks...

~E
Jack Schroll was the first person I knew of that did that. 

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2020, 03:34:57 PM »
   My lips are sealed but Jack could have raced with a 2bbl and won.

67411F--0100-ENG.

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2020, 06:19:54 PM »
   My lips are sealed but Jack could have raced with a 2bbl and won.

Hello Randy,

We used to go and watch the vintage races in Steamboat Springs, Colorado over the Labor Day weekend back in the 80s and 90s.  Jack brought his '66 GT350 (SFM6S830?) out here to race for a lot of those years.  That car of his was extremely well prepped (borderline legal) and driven extremely well.  I hung out around Jack's trailer quite a bit during those weekends and spoke to him at length.  I believe that he only won that race in 1991, but he was always in the top 3 unless the car broke.  I believe he broke an axle right before the start of the feature race in 1994.  He and that car were awfully fast and great fun to watch.  The last race at Steamboat was in 1998.  Bill Murray won that race driving CSX3274.  I really miss those races.

Thanks,
Eric

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2020, 12:39:53 PM »
  It was always about what the rules "didn't" say.

67411F--0100-ENG.

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2020, 01:01:37 PM »
  It was always about what the rules "didn't" say.

Hello Randy,

Yes.  There were a lot of interesting modifications done to that car, and I am sure that I did not see them all.  I loved watching that car show its tail end to most of the Corvettes (big and small blocks).

Thanks,
Eric