News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

question for the experts

Started by Bossssssss, May 06, 2020, 07:55:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bossssssss

Thanks Doug - I will do some research on 10" pressure plate ratings (I do realize the springs are what makes of the pressure and not the diameter, but just was thinking since a 10" was used in the regular 289 that it would not need to have a higher pressure rating as a hipo one which may be larger, but not sure). Thanks again for your help.

Greg

Unless your running a monster engine, a stock equalizer will be fine.  The pivot bolt on the engine would shear off before the equalizer bent.
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

shelbydoug

Quote from: Greg on May 06, 2020, 10:11:11 AM
Unless your running a monster engine, a stock equalizer will be fine.  The pivot bolt on the engine would shear off before the equalizer bent.

I stand by my comments. Learn at your own peril. Just trying to help and save time and grief.  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Bossssssss on May 06, 2020, 07:55:53 AM
Hi Gents,
I am doing a clutch job on a 67 350 and want to replace the equalizer arm as the pivot holes are all hogged out. Car has a 289 K code HiPo in it and I see where the equalizer arm is unique to the k code vs a regular 289.

The car has Tri-Y headers on it.

Is the equalizer arm for the K code differently shaped to clear the original K code exhaust manifolds (which I know were differently shaped compared to the non-K code exhaust manifolds)?

Can I just buy a new non-K code equalizer bar since this car is running Tri-Y's?   

TIA
If using headers on the 67 GT350 a non hipo Z bar will have fewer clearance issues .Original clutch and pressure plate was 10.5 on the hipo.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bossssssss

You guys are the best. Thanks for all your help and I do appreciate all your input and time to respond!

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on May 06, 2020, 10:30:50 AM
Quote from: Bossssssss on May 06, 2020, 07:55:53 AM
Hi Gents,
I am doing a clutch job on a 67 350 and want to replace the equalizer arm as the pivot holes are all hogged out. Car has a 289 K code HiPo in it and I see where the equalizer arm is unique to the k code vs a regular 289.

The car has Tri-Y headers on it.

Is the equalizer arm for the K code differently shaped to clear the original K code exhaust manifolds (which I know were differently shaped compared to the non-K code exhaust manifolds)?

Can I just buy a new non-K code equalizer bar since this car is running Tri-Y's?   

TIA
If using headers on the 67 GT350 a non hipo Z bar will have fewer clearance issues .Original clutch and pressure plate was 10.5 on the hipo.

Agreed. The only value a K car equalizer has is for use with the HP iron exhaust manifold for clearance.

It was not usable for me with the three different brands of headers used in my car (over the years).

You can't standardize one design for headers since no two manufacturers are exactly the same. In fact companies like JBA make their own equalizers for use with their headers.

The top arm that curves over the steering shaft is pretty much standardized but the short arm that goes to the throw out bearing arm isn't.

I think that initially I used a standard non-hipo equalizer then had to modify it by relocating the short arm.  While I was doing that I just doubled the long arm and heat quenched it to harden the steel?

Like I said, you wind up making your own equalizer.

Incidentally. I have JBA headers on the car now and the JBA equalizer for them didn't work with them and got sent back. They didn't like that but they didn't like the fact that with the first set of headers the Pitman arm hit the #5 tube and the car couldn't turn left at all.  So I don't care how pissy they get.

Their Tech guy said, "there must be something wrong with your car?" I said "no. The only thing wrong here is that for $800 I trusted you to get it right the first time"

So don't COUNT on anything fitting right the first time through...and even the second time for that matter? :o

Hey. I'm doing this over 50 years. Wanna' see the scars on my hands?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!