News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1967 Thermactor Hose Clamps

Started by Shelby_r_b, May 09, 2020, 11:32:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelby_r_b

I've looked high and low for two clamps, but I cannot locate them.

The first one is attached to the top of the AC unit and holds a Thermactor hose (lower red circle), and the assembly manual lists is as "376906-S". However, I couldn't find an AMK reference in their "Ford Fasteners" book, and I've tried looking online, but to no avail. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

And, the top red circle shows what looks like a clamp holding an AC hose, but it's listed as "37776876-S". Again, I can't find a reference.

Thanks!
Nothing beats a classic!

J_Speegle

That location of the clamp for the AC line doesn't look factory. Does your car have an extra ( other than the wire loom retainer hole) in that location? I can't find any small block AC thermactor San Jose 67's with an extra hole in the shock tower there nor have I seen an unrestored example with the clamp in that location.

If you don't mind reminding us when your car was built or the VIN it might help us determine what was going on as far as these details when your car was built.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Shelby_r_b

Hey Jeff,

My car doesn't have an extra hole for a clamp to hold the AC hose. I looked previously; which added to my confusion.

The Shelby number is 2666. It was produced on May 15, 1967.

Thanks!
Nothing beats a classic!

J_Speegle

The Fasteners Guide  shows "376906-S" being skipped/not included in the printing.  Or the assembly manual page may include a mistake and something hopefully caught and corrected on the next page revision . Seems to have happened ( mistakes, changes and correction) on a regular basis. Looks like that number was first applied in 1960 for some other purpose.

Page 269 of the Guide to Ford Fasteners ( basically a redo of the Utility Manual in a nice updated form) jumps from 376905-A to 376912-S

"37776876-S" looks like to many numbers in the listing as written. 5-6 digits are typical depending on when the part was introduced and entered into the system 

Close-up of the clamp your looking for. Don't think your going to be able to find on in a catalog

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

The clamp that holds the two AC hoses together is typical on factory 67 Mustang and other models A/C hoses and beyond. I usually find them used and restore them . They are relatively easy to make . I have had to do it before and I know others have too. I would call West Coast Cougar . I bet it is a good possibility he them used what with A/C being a popular option on Cougars.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

68blk500c

Other car lines use that same rubber-coated type strap.  Ones I have seen simply hold both hoses together, but do not attach to anything else; (if we are talking about the same thing).

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 68blk500c on May 10, 2020, 11:27:24 AM
Other car lines use that same rubber-coated type strap.  Ones I have seen simply hold both hoses together, but do not attach to anything else; (if we are talking about the same thing).
+1 ,I have a high confidence level that the rubber coated aluminum A/C hose clamp did not attach to anything else on any year 67-70 Shelby 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Shelby_r_b

Thanks to all!

Bob - is this the clamp that you're not referencing? If so, is this the clamp I circled in the upper red circle of my first picture?
Nothing beats a classic!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Shelby_r_b on May 10, 2020, 12:29:21 PM
Thanks to all!

Bob - is this the clamp that you're not referencing? If so, is this the clamp I circled in the upper red circle of my first picture?
No. That clamp holds the to metal A/C lines as they go through the radiator support. you may need that one too if missing. I can't tell what the one in the top circle is because it may not be correct style but the one that is supposed to be there is not reproduced as far as I know. It is thin aluminum and rubber dipped. One end has a slot and the other a tongue shape. The tongue shape is inserted through the slot and bent over to secure.  Typically two are used to secure the hoses. One closer to the passenger side of the engine compartment and the other near the spot in your picture. They are illustrated in the assemblyline manuals that you should have. You will have to call West Coast Cougar and ask to buy it used. You can make one also but of course will have to have a pattern to go by.  Ask for Scott At WCCC I am sure he will know which one. 

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: Bob Gaines on May 10, 2020, 01:08:11 PM
Quote from: Shelby_r_b on May 10, 2020, 12:29:21 PM
Thanks to all!

No. That clamp holds the to metal A/C lines as they go through the radiator support. you may need that one too if missing. I can't tell what the one in the top circle is because it may not be correct style but the one that is supposed to be there is not reproduced as far as I know. It is thin aluminum and rubber dipped. One end has a slot and the other a tongue shape. The tongue shape is inserted through the slot and bent over to secure.  Typically two are used to secure the hoses. One closer to the passenger side of the engine compartment and the other near the spot in your picture. They are illustrated in the assemblyline manuals that you should have. You will have to call West Coast Cougar and ask to buy it used. You can make one also but of course will have to have a pattern to go by.  Ask for Scott At WCCC I am sure he will know which one.

Great.  Thanks, Bob!
Nothing beats a classic!