News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

dark charcoal metallic paint

Started by kasearch@ix.netcom.com, May 16, 2020, 12:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kasearch@ix.netcom.com

For the dark charcoal metallic paint that is used on the interior pieces of a 69 Shelby, what brand (and color name on the can) do you recommend to use?

Special Ed

The Going Thing

Free advice. I purchased the Charcoal black for my 1967 GT500. I did shake it as specified and utilized it on primed dash moldings. It was a gloss finish. I would ask NPD if they had resolved the issue with the high gloss instead of a semi/satin finish as it should be before purchasing.

CharlesTurner

If using spray cans, the only way I can get them to work is after a few coats to cover (some don't cover worth a flip), the final coat is a dusting so it dries low gloss.

Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

NC TRACKRAT

Not sure it's what you're after but SEM makes a "Tuxedo Black" in spray and liquid cans that is low gloss that approximates the correct interior black used in the early Mustangs.  When used per directions, it's very durable when allowed to properly dry and cure.  I've even used it in engine compartments with excellent results.
5S071, 6S1467

Bob Gaines

Quote from: NC TRACKRAT on May 16, 2020, 07:29:24 PM
Not sure it's what you're after but SEM makes a "Tuxedo Black" in spray and liquid cans that is low gloss that approximates the correct interior black used in the early Mustangs.  When used per directions, it's very durable when allowed to properly dry and cure.  I've even used it in engine compartments with excellent results.
To clarify for those reading who may that think all pre 70 Mustangs are "early Mustangs" , Black is 65/66 only.  Dark charcoal metallic is 67-70 Shelby/Mustang.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Rbwiii

This is correct for 67 to 70 that I have used on my cars with excellent results. You will need to spray it from a gun, but I think results would be better than what's out there in a spray can.

PPG DDL32586

JD

Here is what some have used in the past, have to add flattener to get the correct sheen and also as stated it doesn't cover so a base of flat black or hot rod gray (dark gray) but not so much as to fill the stamped texture in the metal ot plastic molded parts.

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

To add to what thers have said ,the Dark Charcoal Metallic does not cover well . Regardless of what product you use it is best to lay down a base coat of black before the top coat of Dark Charcoal Metallic.  A too heavy coat will fill in the texture on the grain in the door metal.That is why you put on a base coat in black .FYI the rattle cans are OK for small parts but I have had inconsistant results on larger surfaces. I use one of the professional brands PPG etc. The base coat is ok to be rattle can but the top coat is best done with a spray gun for best results. Just my 2 cents.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Rbwiii

As Bob and JD stated its very easy to fill the natural grain in the metal. For the best results I have experienced, the original paint needs to be removed using paint stripper or a soda blast. A DTM black primer needs to be applied, then painted. One coat of primer, 2-3 coats of the PPG paint shown above.
The grain really shows and looks good using this procedure.

J_Speegle

You can also purchase it in qt and gallon through TCP Global/Auto Color Library

As mention a couple of light full coats of a base followed by a light full coat of the Charcoal will usually provide nice coverage with the metallic and slightly gray look to the final product. Too think and you can fill the grain and produce a glossier than intended final look :( I apply the top coat a little dry to keep the final look on the flatter side
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbydoug

I used the PPG. JD is right. It needs more flattener. This is my 68. You can see the slight sheen.

When I do the interior of my '67, it needs to be flatter.

I think he said he added 20% more flattener?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

98SVT - was 06GT

Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

The Going Thing

The sheen should not be semi-gloss but more of a semi-flat or eggshell.  One of the other issues with second generation fastback gloss is that it reflects light and makes it difficult to see out of the rear window. The Light parchment in my Shelby makes it hard to see and it's the correct sheen.
BBQ black is the wrong color as the black isn't black, it's gray and has some metallic flakes in it. My The windshield trim is all that required the charcoal metallic so buying a quart of paint made no sense.  The color looks good so I simply shot Vintage clear and adjusted the activator to control the amount of sheen it had. It worked well with the rest of the interior and is very durable.