News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Identification Help Magnum 500

Started by 6S1568, May 18, 2020, 03:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6S1568

I'm looking for a little help to see if this is the correct Magnum 500 wheel for a Hertz car. It sure looks close, and the backspace is 3 3/8's as you can see from the one photo. However the stencil by Wheel Corp. is in the same location as my other wheels. Also this wheel has several stampings on the reverse side of the rim. None of my other wheels have this. This wheel has no "C" behind the 795 stamping. Thanks in advance, Denny

6S1568

Side by side with a known Magnum 500. You'll see the factory marks on on different places. The know 500 has the factory stencil on the flat-wider portion of the wheel and the unidentified wheel has the factory stencil on the more rounded part of the rim. Thanks

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 6S1568 on May 18, 2020, 03:53:16 PM
I'm looking for a little help to see if this is the correct Magnum 500 wheel for a Hertz car. It sure looks close, and the backspace is 3 3/8's as you can see from the one photo. However the stencil by Wheel Corp. is in the same location as my other wheels. Also this wheel has several stampings on the reverse side of the rim. None of my other wheels have this. This wheel has no "C" behind the 795 stamping. Thanks in advance, Denny
The rim profile does not look right . Not set back far enough IMO. Most likely a Mopar wheel . Close but no cigar IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

SHELB66

Hello Denny,
The profile actually looks correct to me.  Is the weld line, which is seen in your side my side grouping, in the same position on each wheel?  Your backspacing measurement is spot on.  I have a set of wheels with markings similar to yours.  The consensus was that they were manufactured later in the 60's.  I believe the Mopar rim has a greater backspacing measurement (maybe 4") meaning the center of the rim is closer to the outside,

Craig R.
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac

Bob Gaines

Quote from: SHELB66 on May 18, 2020, 06:18:07 PM
Hello Denny,
The profile actually looks correct to me.  Is the weld line, which is seen in your side my side grouping, in the same position on each wheel?  Your backspacing measurement is spot on.  I have a set of wheels with markings similar to yours.  The consensus was that they were manufactured later in the 60's.

Craig R.
What I meant by profile was not the rim. The rim looks correct .It is the profile of the center as it relates to the rim. How the center is welded into the rim . Just looks like it isn't in far enough to me.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

6S1568

Hey Bob and Craig, Thanks for the quick reply, I appreciate it.

I tried to take a couple more photos to share with you guys, this time with measurements. Now keep in mind, it's difficult to hold the ruler in one hand, and take photos with my iphone with the other, especially at the same time., The resulting measurements are looking like the weld line on both wheels is similar when seen from the back of the wheel and the front. The offsets on the face of the wheel match up well too. Lastly, I tried to measure the distance from the high point of the wheel center, where the caps goes on, to edge of the face or rim, and these measurements are similar too.

To Craig's point, perhaps this wheel is an early copy of the originals. I don't know what the stamping on the rear of the rim represents, maybe a date code of some sort? Someone out there might know.
Thanks, Denny

6S1568

Last two photos.

Shelby73

The Hertz wheels were special built I guess for Shelby. The wheel you have is what everyone else got that sold magnums from Motor wheel. We sold Magums new in the 60s and the ones we had looked like yours. I have one like the one you have plus I have a couple sets of the Hertz wheels.
67 Cobra CSX3251  65 K-code Conv
65 5S073.               65 A-code fastback
66 6S304.                67 390 GTA Conv.
66 Hertz 6S1863.      67 Playboy Coupe
68 KR Conv. 2529.     70 Mach1
07 Shelby Hertz Conv. 69 Z/28
66 MK1A Tiger.            66 Vette coupe
13 GT500                   
69 Boss 429

6S1568

Thanks everyone for your help answering this question. Denny

Shelby73

After looking at your pictures again on a bigger screen your wheel looks like an original Hertz wheel to me the back space setting looks correct. Some of your pictures are a little distorted and on my small I-pad I saw it wrong. I thought you were showing a non-disc brake wheel but they had a lot more back spacing. I guess all the ones my dad had back in the 60s when we sold them were non disc brake wheels since most of the cars had drum brake.   Here is a picture of a NOS non disc brake wheel front and back.
67 Cobra CSX3251  65 K-code Conv
65 5S073.               65 A-code fastback
66 6S304.                67 390 GTA Conv.
66 Hertz 6S1863.      67 Playboy Coupe
68 KR Conv. 2529.     70 Mach1
07 Shelby Hertz Conv. 69 Z/28
66 MK1A Tiger.            66 Vette coupe
13 GT500                   
69 Boss 429

6S1568

Shelby73, Thanks for taking the time to post the photos, I believe you're correct. I appreciate your help. Denny

6s1640

Quote from: SHELB66 on May 18, 2020, 06:18:07 PM
Hello Denny,
The profile actually looks correct to me.  Is the weld line, which is seen in your side my side grouping, in the same position on each wheel?  Your backspacing measurement is spot on.  I have a set of wheels with markings similar to yours.  The consensus was that they were manufactured later in the 60's.  I believe the Mopar rim has a greater backspacing measurement (maybe 4") meaning the center of the rim is closer to the outside,

Craig R.

Hi Denny,  You wheel appears to have the correct features for the 66 GT350 Hertz wheel, but is not likely the assembly line wheel, but a service part or sold directly from Motor Wheel.  I have seen these wheels before with the rim markings.  Interesting the "C" is missing  from the '795" stamping.  The Mopar wheel does have a larger back spacing near 4 inches.

Best of luck.

Cory

6S1568

Thanks Cory, I was hoping you'd chime in. I know you've researched this topic and posted your findings here in the past. Yep, no "C" following the 795. Not an assembly line wheel makes sense to me. Craig R. has put together quite a bit of data on Magnum 500 wheels too, and I'm pleased that you guys are in agreement. Look for it in the trunk of 6S1568. Thanks, Denny   

sfm5s081

Wow, this looks to be quite detailed! Any date codes on these wheels? Any chance to make an assessment while it's on the car?