News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Real Period NOS carb?

Started by The Going Thing, May 26, 2020, 03:30:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

Quote from: s2ms on May 26, 2020, 12:53:58 PM
If date is important isn't this one too late for 67 GT350 production?
It could be argued ether way for a latest built car. I would be more on the skeptical side.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Dan Case

Quote from: s2ms on May 26, 2020, 12:53:58 PM
If date is important isn't this one too late for 67 GT350 production?

The date might work for a GT40 MKIII (street car 4V induction). I have a carburetor F.A.V. installed in a new GT40 long ago and it is dated 755.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

gt350hr

Cory,
       Holley would not have any reason to call them out as "service" carbs. The S "to me" does not look original as it is too "smudged" IMHO.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

J_Speegle

Quote from: gt350hr on May 26, 2020, 06:38:00 PM
       Cory,
       Holley would not have any reason to call them out as "service" carbs. The S "to me" does not look original as it is too "smudged" IMHO.
    Randy

+1 Yes looks smudge during application. Could even be a smudged "5" we see on other examples. Like others some of these markings "moved"  around/location apparently didn't matter while others were consistent to identify a particular part of the assembly or an inspection as well as an assembler. Other colors of ink have been seen also
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

gt350hr

Quote from: CharlesTurner on May 26, 2020, 12:09:11 PM
A lot of details on the carb that are missed by some of the rebuilders...

That is an understatement Charles! Current restorers plate WAY too many parts incorrectly color wise and the "beauty" of the plating has become more extreme. "Many" ( not all) carb restorers go too far and make their work very obvious.  Close scrutiny of this carb by those in the restoration business should be a MUST.

CharlesTurner

If the price wasn't so $$, someone could swap out the main body with an earlier date correct one and use all of the NOS parts.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

The Going Thing

The cork-rubber composition gaskets don't like ethanol. It's why I mentioned what I did. If it was stored correctly it may be fine for a while.

CharlesTurner

Quote from: The Going Thing on May 27, 2020, 08:26:39 PM
The cork-rubber composition gaskets don't like ethanol. It's why I mentioned what I did. If it was stored correctly it may be fine for a while.

I'm able to find ethanol-free gas in a few places locally... I usually try to use it on the classic cars, especially ones that sit around for extended periods of time.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

The Going Thing

It's not easy to locate anymore. Some states don't have it available period with the exception of race fuel. The ethanol wreaks havoc in hot weather on the dual quads on the Shelby.

68krrrr

oh wow this thing is 1/2 mile from me
Current
1967 GT500 #1724
Nightmist Blue /Parchment
2005 Ford Gt Midnight blue
Porsche 911 Turbo 2007 Highly modified
1934 Ford Chopped & channeled

Previously owned
1968 GT500KR #03528 Lime green
1968 GT/CS

"Fly low & avoid the radar"
Thanks Adam

gt350hr

+1 once a cork /rubber composition "sees" fuel , it must see continuous use or the gaskets will shrink and crack if stored. The aftermarket ( non Holley) cork gaskets were worse. They have  reddish brown color instead of the original very dark brown/black Holley gaskets. The ONLY safe way to run a Holley now is the paper composition gaskets like you mentioned. Concours or not , cork is dangerous with modern fuels.
   Randy

shelbydoug

Quote from: gt350hr on May 28, 2020, 10:20:46 AM

+1 once a cork /rubber composition "sees" fuel , it must see continuous use or the gaskets will shrink and crack if stored. The aftermarket ( non Holley) cork gaskets were worse. They have  reddish brown color instead of the original very dark brown/black Holley gaskets. The ONLY safe way to run a Holley now is the paper composition gaskets like you mentioned. Concours or not , cork is dangerous with modern fuels.
   Randy

The inlet valves will stick in a couple of days too. I've had them stick open and closed.

I complained to Holley and they "don't know nutin' ". 

Interestingly enough, there have been glass ball inlet valves available for Weber carbs for years. I have them in my 48ida's and they fixed the issue.

Make sure that you use a heat insulating gasket on the base of the carb and the intake manifold or else the carb will act like a heat riser when you shut the engine off, boil the fuel in the carb(s) and flood like Niagara Falls.

You don't want this to happen. Your life will flash before your eyes like a drowning man. The Adrenalin hit actually HURTS!
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Drew Pojedinec

I've always viewed NOS stuff with suspicion.

Used or unused, the only benefit to this carb would be bragging rights. Of course the minute it is installed on a car that is shot. Maybe cool for a museum.

I also think of all the people that bought NOS 427 blocks only to discover that they were Factory rejects. So for $4000 I'd want to inspect it before signing on the dotted line.

EdwardGT350

did brand new carbs come from the "holley depot" with the shelby fuel inlet fitting already installed?
1966 GT350 6s1761