Author Topic: Is there any Daytona Coupe replica that will retain value  (Read 4117 times)

HUBBELL RACING

• View Profile
I was interested in a CSX9000. I collect cars and I’d like them to retain value and not just throw my $ away. I LOVE Daytona Coupes but I don’t have $10M+ for a real one SO are there any more desirable than others ? Or is it just hopeless ?
What if you have a replica that has race history ?
Thanks

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Is there any Daytona Coupe replica that will retain value
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 10:00:29 PM »
I was interested in a CSX9000. I collect cars and I’d like them to retain value and not just throw my $ away. I LOVE Daytona Coupes but I don’t have $10M+ for a real one SO are there any more desirable than others ? Or is it just hopeless ?
What if you have a replica that has race history ?
Thanks

If you are looking at the future value, you are buying the car for the wrong reason. Any you purchase now, will depreciate for most, if not all of your projected lifetime. Why, because they are continuously producing more and more of them, especially replicas like the CSX9000 series. Again, best bang for the buck, buy a Kirkham. Get in, turn the key, and go.

Just my two cents worth

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 10:34:35 PM »
Since 2005 there have been between 150 & 200,000 Cobras, GT350, GT500 etc built by Ford and Shelby American. In the time between 1962 and the end of 69 they only produced just over 13,000 (1,000 Cobras) cars total. The new ones will never be "collectible" at the level of the originals whose legacy they are using as the sales pitch. If you want to narrow it down even further in mid 67 Ford assumed the assets of Shelby American. The tail end of 67 (thought to be the Z marked serial number tags) and all 68-70 Shelbys were built by Ford Motor Company not Shelby American. The 2005 GT500 was completely developed and finished by SVT before marketing struck on the genius idea to stick GT500 on it - they had owned the rights to the name since 1967.
So will they be an appreciating asset - nope - no way - never in your lifetime. Why? No history and not rare the things that drive the classic car market. Maybe in 50 years a nice low mileage survivor will sell for decent money so get one for your great grandson.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 06:15:12 PM by 98SVT - was 06GT »
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 10:39:01 PM »
^^^^+1.   

I am wondering about the 2020 GT500 with the carbon fiber track package, though.  If any "new ones" would appreciate in the near term (after the current economic meltdown ends...whenever that will be) I'd think it would be that one.   

Thoughts?
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 10:41:05 PM »
In addition to Kirkham cars being the best of the best, they seem to suffer the least amount of depreciation.

You may be able to mitigate the depreciation they do suffer by finding a good pre-owned car.

I for one don't think they will building them forever, so eventually, the used cars will be the only ones available.

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 12:30:12 AM »
^^^^+1.   

I am wondering about the 2020 GT500 with the carbon fiber track package, though.  If any "new ones" would appreciate in the near term (after the current economic meltdown ends...whenever that will be) I'd think it would be that one.   

Thoughts?

How rare will it be? If they decide to send a few to each dealer to justify the tooling costs it will take a long time. If they decide to build 500 there will be a giant markup that won't translate to return in the used market. The dealer will be putting your expected rise in value in his pocket before it even leaves the showroom. Take a look at older Cobra R Mustangs those were rare and are worth more than regular Mustangs but not a large amount unless they are real low mileage (under 1,000) unmolested cars.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 09:20:48 AM »
Thats another example of a beautiful FAUX-BRA. Not a real one ... But accepted by most for what it is. FANTASTIC  :)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2020, 09:50:55 AM »
I haven't seen any "continuation" cars depreciate. They hold their values of about what they cost new.

As far as Kirkham vs. CSX continuation aluminum body cars go, a CSX continuation car is a Kirkham with a Shelby VIN tag on it.

The decision to go Kirkham is because of the 80 thousand dollar difference in purchase price.

The Shelby cars are sold painted. I don't know if Kirkham offers that. I can't think of any that I have seen that were not raw aluminum.

The Kirkham's struck me as being more then just a little rough on presentation.

The CSX continuation cars might have inched up in asking prices? I think though  that you basically break even on them?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Chris Thauberger

• Gold is money. Everything else is credit.
    • View Profile
    • And how many words have I got to say? And how many times will it be this way? With your arms around the future And your back up against the past You're already falling It's calling you on to face the music And the song that is coming through You
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2020, 09:54:00 AM »
Since 2005 there have been between 150 & 200,000 Cobras, GT350, GT500 etc built by Ford and Shelby American. In the time between 1962 and the end of 69 they only produced just over 13,000 (1,100 Cobras) cars total. The new ones will never be "collectible" at the level of the originals whose legacy they are using as the sales pitch. If you want to narrow it down even further in mid 67 Ford assumed the assets of Shelby American. The tail end of 67 (thought to be the Z marked serial number tags) and all 68-70 Shelbys were built by Ford Motor Company not Shelby American. The 2005 GT500 was completely developed and finished by SVT before marketing struck on the genius idea to stick GT500 on it - they had owned the rights to the name since 1967.
So will they be an appreciating asset - nope - no way - never in your lifetime. Why? No history and not rare the things that drive the classic car market. Maybe in 50 years a nice low mileage survivor will sell for decent money so get one for your great grandson.

I couldn’t agree more.

Unfortunately many have pie in the sky dreams of the collectibility of the newer “Shelby’s” happening again.
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

A-Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2020, 10:30:05 AM »
In the time between 1962 and the end of 69 they only produced just over 13,000 (1,100 Cobras) cars total.

Just for clarity ;) There were 998 original Cobras produced.

HUBBELL RACING

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2020, 11:49:51 AM »
Thanks, I just love the Daytona Coupe. I have a real 67 Jag Etype and I love the new Eagle lightweight but it’s stupid $, like $800,000.  The Eagle looks a little like the Daytona Coupe.  Even if it doesn’t appreciate I think a CSX9000 would be a blast to own.  I drove one feels a little like an E type w A LOT more hp

Dittle

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2021, 05:43:50 PM »
I have both a very early Kirkham #0021 (built by Chuck Gutke exact as original from a Kirkham roller). And an original unrestored 1965 Jaguar E type OTS #1E10701 with the 4.2 L. Both cars are fun as well as a challenge to work on and to drive. I can see why they were fierce competitors back in the day.  David Kirkham builds a Daytona coupe now with the aluminum body. I believe he just finished # 14. He posts regularly on FB with his work. And is very easy to talk to online. His factory is in Utah and the bodies are made at an old MIG plant in Poland. You can build it exactly as original with the suspension, engine, electrics, etc. Or do a more modern chassis and drivetrain. The craftsmanship is superb both in the metal work and machine work. You can get a polished aluminum body to leave bare or a filed one to paint. My car is painted black and is now almost 25 years old. He now fabricates quite a bit of the parts used out of billet as to keep the quality supreme as well. I believe most of the coupes as well as quite a few of the Cobras are raced on a regular basis.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 11:47:57 PM by Dittle »

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2021, 06:20:15 PM »
In the time between 1962 and the end of 69 they only produced just over 13,000 (1,100 Cobras) cars total.

Just for clarity ;) There were 998 original Cobras produced.

I've always had under 700 and under 400 in my mind for years and always just rounded it up to about 1,100. Here's the totals and correction to my memory bank: 655 leaf-spring 289 Cobras and 343 coil-spring 427 Cobras

A-Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2021, 06:56:00 PM »

I've always had under 700 and under 400 in my mind for years and always just rounded it up to about 1,100. Here's the totals and correction to my memory bank: 655 leaf-spring 289 Cobras and 343 coil-spring 427 Cobras
Your total is correct but not all 343 coil-spring cars were 427's (AC 289 Sports were coil spring cars)