News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Gas cap

Started by Jakobs67gt500, July 05, 2023, 01:12:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jakobs67gt500

Hi all #1739 here

Can anybody advise where I can buy a compleye gas cap kitas close as possible to the original. The one I have is not very representative for the car.

1000 thanks/ best Jakob

roddster

Well, explain what you think is incorrect about the one in the photo.  It is best to have an original rechromed, as expensive as that might be.
  And, with a repop emblem, whoever makes the repop seems to have gotten the gold a little wrong.

One other thing: you do realize that you will need to take off the fiberglass taillight panel to replace the fuel cap as it does not fit through the hole.

deathsled

I think it looks fine to me. If it's original keep in on.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Coralsnake

And none of the replacements have the Ford trademark on the cap 😉
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Bob Gaines

Early production 67 Shelby gas caps where marked with a FOMOCO in a rectangle and later production 67 and 68 Shelby were AUTOLITE marked . This is seen on the cap portion of the assembly near the stopper and spring.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Jakobs67gt500

thanks all. This is a reproduction - a very bad one :-(
A few things were missing when I bought #1739 67 GT500 as a project - unfortunatelt the gas cap

Bob Gaines

When was your car built at Ford? That will determine which gas cap trademark is most appropriate. Some people feel best when they only have genuine assemblyline parts on their car. With that said the trademark is only seen when you pop open the cap. Exterior wise the repro caps look the same as assemblyline. The repros caps typically have at least as good and many times better chrome then the assemblyline or NOS Ford caps.     
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

tesgt350

If he finds a very nice used 1967/1968 Regular Mustang Pop Open Gas Cap, isn't it the same, just remove the Pony Emblem and install the Shelby Foil Emblem?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: tesgt350 on July 06, 2023, 12:34:51 PM
If he finds a very nice used 1967/1968 Regular Mustang Pop Open Gas Cap, isn't it the same, just remove the Pony Emblem and install the Shelby Foil Emblem?
The cap used on a 67/68 Shelby was the same as the  regular Mustang pop open cap . Any emblem would of course be removed before Shelby emblem was applied. FOMOCO and AUTOLITE trademark applies to regular Mustang ipop open cap n the same way as the regular Mustang. I know what you meant but FYI The only thin Shelby "foil" emblem was used in the Shelby steering wheel horn button. The other Shelby emblems were made of thicker metal

tesgt350

Quote from: Bob Gaines on July 06, 2023, 01:43:54 PM
The cap used on a 67/68 Shelby was the same as the  regular Mustang pop open cap . Any emblem would of course be removed before Shelby emblem was applied. FOMOCO and AUTOLITE trademark applies to regular Mustang ipop open cap n the same way as the regular Mustang. I know what you meant but FYI The only thin Shelby "foil" emblem was used in the Shelby steering wheel horn button. The other Shelby emblems were made of thicker metal

Thanks Bob.  I thought the Gas Caps were the same.  I have seen many nice used ones for sale at Automotive Swap Meets.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: tesgt350 on July 06, 2023, 02:11:39 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on July 06, 2023, 01:43:54 PM

Thanks Bob.  I thought the Gas Caps were the same.  I have seen many nice used ones for sale at Automotive Swap Meets.
Although you can still see many nice used ones at automotive swap meets because so much time has past the ones now that you see are overwhelmingly of the later service variety that is different then assemblyline upon close inspection.