News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Instrument Cluster Screws

Started by gswann, May 22, 2020, 09:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gswann

Hi everyone,
I'm having some issues with the gauges in my instrument cluster and I'm wondering if the problem might be at least partially due to improper screws being used to secure the instrument bezel to the dash.  I saw there is a standard kit from CJ Pony parts as an example for a 67 mustang.  Would these be a good replacement that would give me an OEM look or can you suggest other options:

https://www.cjponyparts.com/dash-bezel-screw-kit-mustang-1967/p/HW906/?msclkid=cefe321519e613b5528a6cd2364fb03f&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=New%20Bing%20Shopping%20Ads&utm_term=1101201852112&utm_content=All%20Products

Also had a question on which screws go where.  Right now all of the screws I have are black except for the one to the lower left on the face of the dash.  Any help would be much appreciated to help me to remove my electrical gremlins in the instrument cluster.

Thanks!
-Geroge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: gswann on May 22, 2020, 09:19:08 AM
Hi everyone,
I'm having some issues with the gauges in my instrument cluster and I'm wondering if the problem might be at least partially due to improper screws being used to secure the instrument bezel to the dash.  I saw there is a standard kit from CJ Pony parts as an example for a 67 mustang.  Would these be a good replacement that would give me an OEM look or can you suggest other options:

https://www.cjponyparts.com/dash-bezel-screw-kit-mustang-1967/p/HW906/?msclkid=cefe321519e613b5528a6cd2364fb03f&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=New%20Bing%20Shopping%20Ads&utm_term=1101201852112&utm_content=All%20Products

Also had a question on which screws go where.  Right now all of the screws I have are black except for the one to the lower left on the face of the dash.  Any help would be much appreciated to help me to remove my electrical gremlins in the instrument cluster.

Thanks!
-Geroge
Best option is to stop buying from CJ. you can count on them to typically sell the lowest grade of parts.They have caused me so many headaches when pointing out deficiencies to owners on and off the show field. Owners always say "got it from CJ".  Instead  buy from NPD , Virginia classic Mustang (forum member )or AMK direct. AMK has a minimum order so NPD who handles AMK (AK suffex on npd part # ) is typically easier and faster.  While your at order a set (6)of 67 assemblyline manuals . The electrical manual of the set will show where screws go and numbers in the illustrations will tell which screw is which. You will also need to buy the AMK guide to fasteners manual from NPD to decipher the numbers in the asemblyline manuals illustrations.They will answer questions now with illustrations and schematics 9in the case of the electrical manual and in the future. When you get your dash out I would check all of your connections to make sure they are tight . Screws holding in the dash cluster are way down on the list of possible ultimate culprits to your problem . They may contribute to a problem but would not be the ultimate cause.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

I had a forum member who has a 68 PM me about the assemblyline manuals so I thought i would mention some of the issues for other years.Keep in mind that the assemblyline manuals are different and seperate from the shop manuals of each year. The shop manuals are gear for repair where the assemblylyline manuals are geared for assembly. There are more manuals available for 67 because that is how many Osborne was able to copy from the originals. Unfortunatly they were not able to copy all of the manuals for the other years successfully . That is why even on some pages of the ones they were able to copy the illustrations are blurry.  Osborne was not able to copy as many of the 68 or other year versions because of the poor quality of the originals . Get all of the manuals (Assemblyline and Shop) you can for what ever year you are working on or interested in is my suggestion. They are a good investment IMHO. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

The Going Thing

AMK offers both standard and deluxe kits. They matched what came out of the car. As Bob mentioned many of us resored cars that had been apart for decades in some cases. The Osborne manuals are you best friend.

gswann

Guys,
Thanks so much for the feedback.  I'm getting myself a set of manuals and will use your suggestions to source the parts.