News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Marti Radiator Hose

Started by 67350#1242, June 03, 2020, 06:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67350#1242

I recently bought a set of "Concours"  Marti  clamped and stapled radiator hoses for my 67 GT350 from NPD.  The top hose is WAY too short (by about 2").  Lower hose is fine.
Has anyone had the same experience?   Original stock radiator, stock water neck, stock motor mounts.  Any help appreciated.
Kurt.
67 GT350  SJ 02/01/67  Gray 4spd A/C
67 Coupe  SJ 11/16/66  White Auto A/C PDB

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 67350#1242 on June 03, 2020, 06:14:38 PM
I recently bought a set of "Concours"  Marti  clamped and stapled radiator hoses for my 67 GT350 from NPD.  The top hose is WAY too short (by about 2").  Lower hose is fine.
Has anyone had the same experience?   Original stock radiator, stock water neck, stock motor mounts.  Any help appreciated.
Kurt.
Yes, over the many years that they have been in business there have been anomalies. I would suggest sending it back to NPD and getting another. Of course let them know the problem and have then check the dimensions of the replacement so that you don't have a repeat experience.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

The Going Thing

Kurt, I replaced the upper hose on my Shelby because Marti had ink stamped in on the side almost down towards the water pump. I ordered a new set from NPD. The set I received was softer than the set that had been on the car for two years and the upper hose was longer.
The ink stamp lasted three months.  Come to find out if Marti is out of inventory they use the hose sets supplied by Mustang Market.
Perhaps that is your issue.

68krrrr

I wasn't real happy with my hose set that I ordered from Marti the ink seems to be smudged and a hose is kind of got a ribbed finish, and the pictures I've seen of other peoples cars the hose is smooth and the print is clear & not smudged because of the ribs, I ordered these ones directly from Marti  and then I ordered another set from another source and they were both exactly the same.
Current
1967 GT500 #1724
Nightmist Blue /Parchment
2005 Ford Gt Midnight blue
Porsche 911 Turbo 2007 Highly modified
1934 Ford Chopped & channeled

Previously owned
1968 GT500KR #03528 Lime green
1968 GT/CS

"Fly low & avoid the radar"
Thanks Adam

polyglas

Quote from: 68krrrr on June 03, 2020, 07:29:08 PM
I wasn't real happy with my hose set that I ordered from Marti the ink seems to be smudged and a hose is kind of got a ribbed finish, and the pictures I've seen of other peoples cars the hose is smooth and the print is clear & not smudged because of the ribs, I ordered these ones directly from Marti  and then I ordered another set from another source and they were both exactly the same.

The hose should have texture as pictured.

Shelby_r_b

I've had the same issue twice with the Marti upper hoses for a 67 GT350 being too short.  I contacted Marti Auto Works, and they, unfortunately, were no help.  I ended up getting a different hose on my own and getting the correct clamps.

I feel your pain.  It's extremely frustrating, especially when the hose I removed was more than correct in length and bend.  And, these hoses are not cheap.
Nothing beats a classic!

67350#1242

QuoteI've had the same issue twice with the Marti upper hoses for a 67 GT350 being too short.  I contacted Marti Auto Works, and they, unfortunately, were no help.  I ended up getting a different hose on my own and getting the correct clamps.

I feel your pain.  It's extremely frustrating, especially when the hose I removed was more than correct in length and bend.  And, these hoses are not cheap.

Ditto for me.  This is actually the second set for me too.  The first time about 2 yrs ago that I returned to NPD had the same short hose.  Marti was no help at all.  I thought they would have corrected by now but apparently not.
The NPD/Marti listing says "every 67 GT350 should have these hoses".  Well I don't know what GT350 it fits but I suspect NONE.
Agreed with others that their stampings are very marginal at best and do not last long in use - also the texture is too smooth and hose quality not the best.
I am curious what brand or make hose you ended up using as I have decided to get an upper elsewhere and staple on clamps myself like you did.

By the way I have  encountered problems with the Marti battery cable sets being too short on the engine ground side and  also not the greatest quality.
Thanks for everybodys response.     Kurt.
67 GT350  SJ 02/01/67  Gray 4spd A/C
67 Coupe  SJ 11/16/66  White Auto A/C PDB

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: 67350#1242 on June 03, 2020, 09:28:20 PM
QuoteI've had the same issue twice with the Marti upper hoses for a 67 GT350 being too short.  I contacted Marti Auto Works, and they, unfortunately, were no help.  I ended up getting a different hose on my own and getting the correct clamps.

Ditto for me.  This is actually the second set for me too.  The first time about 2 yrs ago that I returned to NPD had the same short hose.  Marti was no help at all.  I thought they would have corrected by now but apparently not.
The NPD/Marti listing says "every 67 GT350 should have these hoses".  Well I don't know what GT350 it fits but I suspect NONE.
Agreed with others that their stampings are very marginal at best and do not last long in use - also the texture is too smooth and hose quality not the best.
I am curious what brand or make hose you ended up using as I have decided to get an upper elsewhere and staple on clamps myself like you did.

By the way I have  encountered problems with the Marti battery cable sets being too short on the engine ground side and  also not the greatest quality.
Thanks for everybodys response.     Kurt.

Man, I had the same problem with the engine ground side as well! Conours routing is almost impossible, given the shortness and the of the cable.
Nothing beats a classic!

6s1640

I am having the same issue, twice with the pre-assembly clamps stapled on for 66 GT350.  It is frustrating.  On the first set,  I did call a retailer, member on this forum, and they said it was correct and some thing was not right with my car.  They said it should work and try again.  I have several early first gen Mustangs to compare against, and the hose was too short for all them.   I even had them measure a hose they had in stock to compare lengths.  They were the same length as mine.   I tried a second pair from Marti directly and have the same problem.  I should let Marti know my purchase is not working.  If we all advised Marti of the issue, maybe he would fix.

Cory

Bob Gaines

The texture on your hose looks fantastic to me but then I search far and wide for original assemblyline texture like that at swap meets etc. You can make up a stamp with enough patience and accurate artwork but it is the texture hose that is hard to find. The smooth look is typically the tell tale sign of a later repro or replacement hose. The texture was considered a "undesirable effect" back in the day and steps were taken to make them more smooth. The ink stamps on mass produced hoses ,coils,early starters etc. were often smudged more times then they were not.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

rcgt350

I got new upper and lower from Marti a few years ago to get the stapled clamp versions instead of the tower clamps which were on the car when I got it.I had to pull the top hose pretty tight to reach the water neck, therefore the hose doesn't have that ninety degree look to it now, it's smooth surface too.
I don't know how to load pictures on here, but if I can email to someone who can I will do that.
I wasn't happy at the time, but just lived with it.

I always imagined Marti being a small hands on business. I mean, his buying pool has to be kind of limited and not getting bigger.

Guys willing to pay top dollar for correct parts don't grow on trees.

68krrrr

Quote from: Bob Gaines on June 03, 2020, 10:54:22 PM
The texture on your hose looks fantastic to me but then I search far and wide for original assemblyline texture like that at swap meets etc. You can make up a stamp with enough patience and accurate artwork but it is the texture hose that is hard to find. The smooth look is typically the tell tale sign of a later repro or replacement hose. The texture was considered a "undesirable effect" back in the day and steps were taken to make them more smooth. The ink stamps on mass produced hoses ,coils,early starters etc. were often smudged more times then they were not.
ok thanks guys i thought the smooth ones were the correct ones
Current
1967 GT500 #1724
Nightmist Blue /Parchment
2005 Ford Gt Midnight blue
Porsche 911 Turbo 2007 Highly modified
1934 Ford Chopped & channeled

Previously owned
1968 GT500KR #03528 Lime green
1968 GT/CS

"Fly low & avoid the radar"
Thanks Adam

JD

Quote from: rcgt350 on June 04, 2020, 01:18:51 AM
I got new upper and lower from Marti a few years ago to get the stapled clamp versions instead of the tower clamps which were on the car when I got it.I had to pull the top hose pretty tight to reach the water neck, therefore the hose doesn’t have that ninety degree look to it now, it’s smooth surface too.
I don’t know how to load pictures on here, but if I can email to someone who can I will do that.
I wasn’t happy at the time, but just lived with it.
Randy, sent you a PM...or call me
JD
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Royce Peterson

+1 totally agree. The NOS hoses look very much like that hose except the ink stamps on NOS hoses are often much weaker and smudged. Also the ink stamp on NOS hoses could be facing the ground or on the very top. Ford didn't care - it was a radiator hose, not a chrome badge on the outside of the car.

Quote from: Bob Gaines on June 03, 2020, 10:54:22 PM
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock