News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Best SB plug wire

Started by 69mach351w, June 05, 2020, 02:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69mach351w

Thanks 427heaven and the rest.

I have opted for pertronix electronic ignition, Denso plug wires and NGK V-Power spark plugs.

Tomorrow I am going to start it up and TRY to adjust valves w/o it stalling. Should I manually adjust the idle rpm's up a little to see if that will stop the stalling?

TAcoupe, I don't see any photo on your post.

Again, thanks all,
Rich

427heaven

Yes run the idle up just enough to keep it running, remember hot oil slings more then cold oil :-[ have everything ready to do the job in front of you. I imagine you have just a few out of adjustment, and when you find them you will see and feel a smoothing out of your engine, only whack the throttle a little to test because you might be watering the roses next to your car with 20-50 good stuff. Keep us posted

69mach351w

Quote from: TA Coupe on June 10, 2020, 04:25:24 AM
Try using these clips to deflect the oil while you're adjusting the valves, makes it a lot easier.

Roy
TA Coupe, I don't see any photo on your post.

shelbydoug

Quote from: 427heaven on June 10, 2020, 09:09:45 AM
I tried to give you the fastest, easiest way to get to your goal without writing a thesis on the subject matter. You ask 100 guys how to do something and you will get 100 different answers on how to do it. I was going to explain the techniques on how to do it with feeler gauges and spinning the pushrods with your thumb and index finger but that would complicate your goals if not experienced with said techniques. My way is the backyard fix to a repair that I have done since my youth where a couple of times I spooled up my ride a little too tight at the drag strip and couldn't drive it home, so an old timer saw a struggling young man and said here let me help you. A lesson learned and one that I am happy to pass along. ;)

I know what you mean.

I showed someone who was stuck with bad points how to set them with a matchbook cover and it was like a revelation.

I think he still sets them that way now that I think of it? ::)

;D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

427heaven

That's dating yourself Doug... There are no more match books available is there? I use a credit card and zoom your on your way. ;D

shelbydoug

I date myself all of the time. Too old for an attractive woman to date. Oh wait...you didn't mean it that way? Damn. Did it again?  ;D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

1109RWHP

I never found the need to adjust them while it is running.

69mach351w

I remember years ago, maybe 30 years ago, that you could set the balancer at TDC, tighten certain valves to certain ft.lbs., after pushrod quit turning in your fingertips. Then proceed by turning balancer CW so many degrees and do the same thing again until all rockers/valves were adjusted.

Can't remember where I seen that.

TA Coupe

Let's see if the link to the oil deflector Clips works this time.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-1015

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

69mach351w

Quote from: 1109RWHP on June 10, 2020, 08:19:11 PM
Thanks TACoupe, I sort of thought you were talking about those.

1109RWHP,  I did just that. I brought up TDC and went through all 8 cylinders by the firing order, 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8,  and advancing the crank 90 Degrees at a time and twisted the pushrod in my fingers till no twist and/or lash then went 3/4 turn on all 8 cylinders.

Others chime in and give thoughts, they are much appreciated.

Rich

BTW, got the Denso plug wires yesterday and waiting on the pertronix coil and distributor electronic kit. Already have the electronic voltage regulator.  Plan on setting the timing when all is installed.

Drew P. on the SAAC forum here rebuilt my 2V Holley for me  ;)

TA Coupe

2V Holley😨  you need to be banned from SAAC🤣

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

69mach351w

Actually it's not a Shelby neither. Never had the honor to own one😩

But it does have the deluxe interior and exterior 😎

shelbydoug

Quote from: 69mach351w on June 14, 2020, 02:50:45 PM

Just one or one of three? He has a video of running in a 3-2v setup on his Facebook page.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

69mach351w

My 67 coupe pictured is a 2V car. and I'm running a 2V Holley

1109RWHP

Quote from: shelbydoug on June 15, 2020, 06:57:13 AM
Quote from: 69mach351w on June 14, 2020, 02:50:45 PM

Just one or one of three? He has a video of running in a 3-2v setup on his Facebook page.
The rocker arms, not the carbs.