News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1966 GT350 Trans Thoughts

Started by kkravik, June 05, 2020, 10:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkravik

My 66 GT350 is a factory auto trans car (non-Hertz), however the original trans is long gone.  The current auto trans in the car is not a C servo trans, but operates just fine.  I would prefer a 4 speed.  I know everyone's car is personal to them, but I would be interested in members thoughts on replacing the auto with a manual trans (engine is original).  Money is not the main issue, but I do want to make sure I maintain the car's value.  I would appreciate members feedback on this conversion.
Thanks!

TJinSA

I don't think it hurts the value on the vast majority of car one way or another,  unless the car is a potential thorough breed concours restoration or has a significant SAI history. 4 speeds are preferred by the driver-centric, but ANY buyer will ask what's original, and beat you up over it whether it's important to them or not. Go for your pleasure, make what you have available to any potential buyer, but don't drink the koolaid you've irreparably harmed the car.
Tom Kubler
6S296

If you're going to drive it as intended go with the 4 speed.Makes for a superior,more interactive drive in my experience,especially behind a healthy v8.PLUS you get the added bonus of being able to push the left and right pedals at the same time to REALLY annoy your neighbors..... ;D

427hunter

Go with the 4 speed, if you are concerned with value for a future sale collect the correct parts and put them aside.
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

shelbydoug

Well, a couple of thoughts.

My 68 was an original Hertz car with a C4 automatic. The issue was lack of control of gear selection and it needing more gears.

Street racing against, now get this, street 427 Cobras... no really, quickly pointed to the shortcomings.

I swapped out the automatic for a close ratio 4 speed top loader. An entire sequence of events happened including looking for more power then the J code 302 could deliver.

It eventually wound up with a Boss 351 Cleveland with Webers and a Doug Nash 5 speed.

It's run the entire gamut. It is now back to the 302, with "minor detailing changes" but the 5 speed is still in there. Long story.  ;)

Changing from an automatic to a manual is something that looks more horrendous ONLY on paper or in the nerd columns of on line posters that really should get a life? Can you get a date at all? I wonder?

In person, if you were looking for a manual, thoughts of the car having been raped don't even occur to you.

Now the only thing that MIGHT throw a wrench into the works is that there is some choice as to which automatic you put back into the car? Drat!

What has come along is the automatic overdrive of the mid 70's (which looks like an MTX that is in the 69 GT350) has been beefed and is an honest 4 speed automatic.

To add angst to your choices Ford built a 5 speed and a 6 speed automatic that look similar and fit into the car. Unfortunately the manual crowd can't beat a computer and a robot no matter how hard they try.

One of the ghosts of Christmas Future that often visits me is he drags along with him those transmissions and dangles them in my psyche, sadistic SOB that he is.

Contrary to the "it's gotta' be a stick" prejudicial Facebook interactive group crowd which assembles here like sugar ants on spilled pancake syrup, these new automatics are faster in the 1/4, out think and reflex you and unlike their predecessors are  fun to drive behind a real performance engine.

The craziest one is the paddle shifter that you shift with your thumbs like a video game. Surely that was created by Satin him/herself to temp you with eternal bliss?

Whatever you choose or are seduced into, it is a seduction, save all of the parts you take off and IF you ever sell the car, just put  them in a box in the trunk and let the next caretaker angst over what to do? It's part of the game and they should have to deal with the Ghosts of Christmas as well. TS. Tell Superman!  8)

My only question is, why does the ghost always have to be a guy? Why can't it be the sexy ghost of a very hot horny woman? Damn. Connie Nielsen would be a nice choice (for me...I'm an older guy).

"she comes in colors, she combs her hair" - Stones

Will the torture never stop?  :o

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

NC TRACKRAT

You could install a reproduction C-Code servo into the current C-4 but if your heart's set on a manual, I'd recommend going with a T-5 conversion.  The overdrive 5th gear will make highway driving much more enjoyable. 
5S071, 6S1467

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: NC TRACKRAT on June 06, 2020, 09:12:49 AM
You could install a reproduction C-Code servo into the current C-4 but if your heart's set on a manual, I'd recommend going with a T-5 conversion.  The overdrive 5th gear will make highway driving much more enjoyable.

+1 on going with a T5, if you decide to go manual. I installed one in my 66 Carryover, and have never looked back.

Side note: go with whatever makes you happiest, regarding the transmission. The more you enjoy the car's drivability (which is what you seem to be targeting), the more you'll drive and enjoy the car, IMO.
Nothing beats a classic!

427hunter

I have a tko 600 and vintage air on my 70 ss l34 Chevelle with 3.73's, the 5 speed and diaphragm clutch make it drive like a modern car. The above advice is correct go with a 5 speed if you are going to put lots of miles on the car, a t5 is a bolt in with no mods. you can even buy a reproduction shift handle that bolts to the t5 shifter and looks just like the ford factory shifter.
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

deathsled

I have a four speed close ratio Toploader in 6s843. No regrets.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"