Author Topic: 1967 GT-350 Air Injection Smog System pictures  (Read 3563 times)

Mike_Senar

• View Profile
1967 GT-350 Air Injection Smog System pictures
« on: June 12, 2020, 11:21:42 AM »
Hello,
  Where can one find pictures (loose or installed/complete) of the 1967 GT-350 smog system?   Also, where does the top hose (just below the wing nut on the filter canister) go???
                                                                        Mike

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
Re: 1967 GT-350 Air Injection Smog System pictures
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 11:33:00 AM »

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 11:34:40 AM »
The Master Parts Catalog might be helpful

Engineer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 11:35:24 AM »
Hello Mike,

Here are some photographs of #2545 when I owned her.

These were taken shortly after the restoration was completed.

Rick (aka Engineeer)

Engineer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 11:37:16 AM »
A few more .....

Engineer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 11:38:34 AM »
and a few more .....

Engineer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 11:39:44 AM »
last few .....

Engineer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2020, 11:43:03 AM »
Pete's recommendation to secure a copy of the Master Parts Catalog is a great one.

I also recall Bob Mannel's book Mustang & Ford Small Block V8 1962 - 1969 Volumes 1 & II to be of value too.

Hope this helps.

Rick

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2020, 12:22:37 PM »
  And the Osbourne Engine Assembly manual might be helpful.

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2020, 01:31:17 PM »
First - Rick:  many, MANY thanks for all the pictures you posted!  I had a few of them previously, and the extra ones you posted help A TON!!  Please post more of the engine bay, if you have them / have time.

Second - Mike:  I feel your pain!  I own #2666, and it's a Thermactor Car with A/C and Auto (just like Rick's old car).  I've been working through the process of tracking down the correct routing, etc. for some time.  And, while I'm no expert (I did meet Bob Gaines a few times  ;D), I've learned a ton.

The Osborne Manuals are a God send!  They helped me out a ton, especially given all the hoses located on the passenger side of the engine bay and their unique routing.

In addition, I've gathered some pictures / information from other on the forum (thanks, Jeff Speegle and Bob Gaines!). 

The first picture attached (using the great photos that Rick provided) shows a red circle around the hose for which I believe you are referring - is that correct?

The second picture shows where that hose attaches to the back of the backfire / gulp valve from the air filter

The third picture is a diagram which shows the connection points for all the hoses.  You'll see the hose in the two pictures I've circled in red represented by a red line connecting the air filter to the #1 port of the backfire valve.

I hope this helps!

BTW - which number car do you have?  Let's see some pictures!  :D
Nothing beats a classic!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2020, 01:38:58 PM »
  And the Osbourne Engine Assembly manual might be helpful.
+1. There are very informative illustrations in the engine assemblyline  manual for the 67 HiPo  .Those illustrations which when used in conjunction with pictures in the Bob Manell book and ones posted here will give clarity .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Mike_Senar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2020, 04:27:33 PM »
Shelby_r_b,
  I do not have a Shelby.  I have had a lot of these parts and have parted out a lot of Mustangs years ago and I just bought some parts from a recently passed friends shop here in San Diego which apparently included one of those filter canisters (the one for the '67 GT-350) as well as a lot of other air injection smog parts.  I am pretty familiar with the GT-500 set-up and kinda thought what I had just acquired was for the smaller engine.     So, I did some research and it looks like I do not have the correct top hose after all.   My hose has a bend at both ends and may be too short  according to these pictures supplied in this post.    THANK YOU ENGINEER to all the pictures posted!!   

I am curious about something on these cars, was the air injection smog an A/C car thing?   I know not all the cars came with the set-up.  That also does not make it easy to realize what is missing when trying to assemble a set-up!    I am really just trying to realize exactly what I have and what is missing.
                                                                                               Mike
P.S.  I take it all the mounting brackets, pump and pulley are the same as a regular (Ford) Mustang 289?

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2020, 04:32:27 PM »
  I am curious about something on these cars, was the air injection smog an A/C car thing?   

No it was an engine and state (where the car was originally sold in) thing. For some reason it took Calif until April 67 to catch up with the fact that K codes had been ignore the prior year and in 67 had not been included in the certification process.

P.S.  I take it all the mounting brackets, pump and pulley are the same as a regular (Ford) Mustang 289?

Some of the parts are shared with 67 and some with  66 289 Mustangs. For what ever reason Ford designed the Thermactor system on the K code heads with the external system design rather than the internal style used on 67 289's.

Think the pulley (for the pump) is a different diameter but would have to double check. On most applications AC and non-AC systems use different pulleys
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 06:43:24 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2020, 06:42:33 PM »
Since you don't seen to be focusing on a specific car no reason to get in specific production periods providing some answers can be a bit tricky since parts during one week appear to be different than a different period of time. Not allot of cars were ordered and in turn doesn't look like Ford planned on making special parts instead adapted what they could for this handful of cars. Might be why (low production numbers) why this application 67 K codes, didn't get the attention of the California Emission standard until the spring of 67

.......................  So, I did some research and it looks like I do not have the correct top hose after all.   My hose has a bend at both ends and may be too short  according to these pictures supplied in this post. ..................

Does this look like the long thermactor hose with the formed bends at both ends that you have?

« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 06:54:14 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Mike_Senar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2020, 12:08:12 AM »
Jeff,
  Sort of.  Your hose almost looks like has two different diameters at the ends and is looking a little twisted like..  My hose (in question) is the same at both ends and has a near 90 degree bend and is near straight.  I cleaned it and looked for any signs of a part # and no luck!   The bigger diameter hoses for the system and the "T" and the clamps and the other parts are common and I have plenty of those.   I also am aware (1966... [and a whole other topic 428CJ smog] pulleys with a/c) are different than the non-a/c ones.   Ford needed to slow down the smog pump r.p.m. and strain as the smog pump becomes the tensioner of the belt with a/c and those pulleys are larger in diameter and wider due to the a/c belt size.    I had someone mention the pulley (??for non a/c??) has a "B" suffix and is near impossible to find.    I am just inquiring with the brighter minds on this stuff as if I can complete a set-up it could benefit someone in need (in the future) sometime.
                                                                                                              Mike