News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1969 Shelby GT500 console wiring harness question

Started by kasearch@ix.netcom.com, June 13, 2020, 09:32:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coralsnake

Danc1969

Sorry I know this an old topic however it is the closest topic to my question. Is anyone aware if 69-70 Shelby center console wire harness completes the circuit for the wiring that powers the entire car?
I replaced my heater core and before installing the center console figured i would test all dash functions after having removed everything, when i hooked up the battery I had no power,
I spent 5 hours looking for bad grounds, bad battery, bad solenoid etc...  My friend that was helping suggested maybe install the center console, i replied no way this car was designed to be powered through the center console, we'll we plugged in the console and power was restored and i was in disbelief.
I proceeded to move the console into place and the lights flickered and it lost all power, i rotated the top section of the console upward so i could see the wires and the power came back on. Make a long story short I wiggled every wire going into the consoles two main harness plugs and could not isolate which wire is causing the problem or if its the plugs themselves, even more disturbing was it lost power and came back on without me touching or moving anything i was just sitting there.   

Coralsnake

I believe the Alternator wiring runs through the console.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Danc1969 on May 16, 2023, 10:36:56 AM
Sorry I know this an old topic however it is the closest topic to my question. Is anyone aware if 69-70 Shelby center console wire harness completes the circuit for the wiring that powers the entire car?
I replaced my heater core and before installing the center console figured i would test all dash functions after having removed everything, when i hooked up the battery I had no power,
I spent 5 hours looking for bad grounds, bad battery, bad solenoid etc...  My friend that was helping suggested maybe install the center console, i replied no way this car was designed to be powered through the center console, we'll we plugged in the console and power was restored and i was in disbelief.
I proceeded to move the console into place and the lights flickered and it lost all power, i rotated the top section of the console upward so i could see the wires and the power came back on. Make a long story short I wiggled every wire going into the consoles two main harness plugs and could not isolate which wire is causing the problem or if its the plugs themselves, even more disturbing was it lost power and came back on without me touching or moving anything i was just sitting there.   
The power for the entire car is routed through the amp gauge and then back to the Shelby junction block where it connects to the regular Mustang harness to provide power . By running through the gauge it shows charge or discharge depending on what is on or off.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Danc1969

Is there a known problem with the console plug connectors not making contact internally or a known problem where the Shelby junction block is spliced into the factory Mustang harness?
Currently it's maintaining power and will only loose power for a second or two so it makes it almost impossible to find it. If there is a known problem it would narrow my search.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Danc1969 on May 16, 2023, 09:00:07 PM
Is there a known problem with the console plug connectors not making contact internally or a known problem where the Shelby junction block is spliced into the factory Mustang harness?
Currently it's maintaining power and will only loose power for a second or two so it makes it almost impossible to find it. If there is a known problem it would narrow my search.
The known problem for the console plugs are the ones the toggle switches are connected to. They sometimes do not make good enough contact and because of that resistance builds up heat because all of the current running through them and sometimes to the point of melting the plugs and in extreme cases starting a electrical fire. They should always be squeezed together as far as they can go. If the plugs look distorted at all that means that they got hot in the past and at the least need to be replaced to be safe. I have hardwired the connection eliminating the plugs before to solve the problem but most just replace the harness.   The Shelby junction block is not spliced into the Mustang harness. The wires have terminal eyelets and when placed on the Shelby junction block stud make connection when the nut is tightened down that holds the terminal eyelets in place.   The Shelby junction block is not known to have a problem . You just have to make sure the nut is tightened snug.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Danc1969

Thanks everyone, i will give an update on what i find.