News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1967 Owners Manual

Started by rmarble57, July 07, 2020, 01:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmarble57

Moving to stand alone thread.
Pictures attached of the owners manual that was with my car.  Handwritten VIN# at bottom left and name on bottom right.
Has this manual faded?  Was it originally in color like the reproductions?
Inside, an owner has made a couple of corrections on rear gear ratio for the GT350.  Manual was printed with 2.89:1 and has been corrected to 3.89:1.
Interesting part for me is the weight comparison between the GT350 and GT500.   Hard to believe the over 500 lbs difference.

Bob Gaines

There are least four different variations of original owners manuals for 67 that I have identified. Arranged in first usage to last the first one in color was the typical one but other variations were printed to replace ones forgotten to be put in cars or lost. They are different in size ,color and content. In some case the work was primitive in others the content was condensed. The first three had the LA address and the last had the Michigan address the first three were a combined 67 Mustang manual plus the Shelby information. The last only had the Shelby specific information and was meant to be used with a regular 67 Mustang owners manual. There are examples of these variation owners manuals for 66,67,68,69 and 70. There are others that I have not yet added in the multi year picture so that picture reflects at least that many variations.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

The Going Thing

I have the more colorized version to the left of Bob's post.  It looks as if there wasn't much thought as to what to add. The shoulder harness information listed is the standard mustang option, not the roll bar mounted harness. A few quirky things in it.
I appreciate the postings.

rmarble57

Thanks for all that Bob.  Always good to verify what I have.
You would have thought that by the 4th iteration that they would have at least correct the part and put GT350 / GT500 on the cover instead of the /500.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: rmarble57 on July 07, 2020, 06:55:27 PM
Thanks for all that Bob.  Always good to verify what I have.
You would have thought that by the 4th iteration that they would have at least correct the part and put GT350 / GT500 on the cover instead of the /500.
My thoughts are that they were taking short cuts which is obvious with the quality compared to the first version . Proof reading by a competent person was obviously not a priority. Most likely a saving money issue IMO ::)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

SHELB66

I have one of the '67 yellow manuals like Bob has pictured above.  The print quality is horrendous!  The first 10 pages are Shelby specific while the rest of the manual is Mustang.  I believe it's a tad over 60 pages total (64 maybe).

Craig R.

66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac

Shelby_r_b

This is great. Thanks, Bob!
Nothing beats a classic!

greekz

Quote from: SHELB66 on July 07, 2020, 10:49:45 PM
I have one of the '67 yellow manuals like Bob has pictured above.  The print quality is horrendous!  The first 10 pages are Shelby specific while the rest of the manual is Mustang.  I believe it's a tad over 60 pages total (64 maybe).

Craig R.

I have one of the yellow manuals as well.  For years I thought it was some early reproduction until several years ago Bob told me it was a replacement.

Greek
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

Vernon Estes

Obviously this thread is mostly centered around 67 manuals but since bob posted above about all the various years...i thought I would post up one more 66 version I have come across...bob has already seen it in person but wanted to share for the general forum.

Kind regards,
Vern

http://www.vernonestesclassics.com/memorabiliaandparts/fordperformancebook-9r796-3lab7-yar6d-8geeg-x78t3-4sr2l-6wjpz-et7ys-3b9k2-yabpp
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

J_Speegle

Quote from: Vernon Estes on July 08, 2020, 04:41:52 PM
.............i thought I would post up one more 66 version I have come across...bob has already seen it in person but wanted to share for the general forum.

That's an odd one/ Can't say I recall ever seeing one like that before

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: J_Speegle on July 08, 2020, 07:40:24 PM
.............i thought I would post up one more 66 version I have come across...bob has already seen it in person but wanted to share for the general forum.

That's an odd one/ Can't say I recall ever seeing one like that before
I hadn't seen one like that ether until Vern showed me it. It kind of makes sense if you put it in the context of the 67 B/W versions. I wasn't too surprised but just glad to get a chance to see it.

Vernon Estes

I had not seen that version either till this one came in. It came in a pile of around 200 pieces of some of the rarest original literature imaginable that a west coast collector had assembled. Every other piece in the pile is original and the manual is a "copy" of a second printing manual with the hole punches in the center page.

Pretty neat stuff.

As an aside to the conversation, I recently had a 66 GT350 (2218) in which had its complete original owners manual packet with it...with the light blue "construction paper" cover version of the manual as seen in bob's pictures above.

Further, I seem to have a knack for managing to own early 67s with "late" owners manuals as 23 had the black and white manual which is the subject of this thread and another early 67 "red light" i had still had its original black and white manual with it also. I forget what date 23 was sold but the other car wasnt sold till August of 68 so it having a "late" owners manual in it made perfect sense in my mind.

Kind regards,
Vern
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

s2ms

Obviously this thread is mostly centered around 67 manuals but since bob posted above about all the various years...i thought I would post up one more 66 version I have come across...bob has already seen it in person but wanted to share for the general forum.

Kind regards,
Vern

http://www.vernonestesclassics.com/memorabiliaandparts/fordperformancebook-9r796-3lab7-yar6d-8geeg-x78t3-4sr2l-6wjpz-et7ys-3b9k2-yabpp

Thanks Vern!

I have seen one, maybe two, like that over the years but always blew it off as someone's cheap copy attempt.

Thanks,
Dave
Dave - 6S1757

rmarble57

Vern,
Car #23 was built and released on 10/11/1966.
Randy

Shelby_r_b

Thanks Vern for the reference. I had no idea!
Nothing beats a classic!