News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Flying Mustang

Started by deathsled, July 11, 2020, 10:45:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlesTurner

Quote from: KPHARTLEY on July 22, 2020, 09:00:13 AM
BEAUTIFUL CAR, BUT IF YOU ARE GOING TO RESTORE A 1965R OR EVEN A REGULAR 1965 SHELBY, YOU SHOULD A LEAST USE THE RIGHT FUEL PUMP.  NOT A 1966-1967 BUTTON TOP.  3.8 MILLION SHOULD GET YOU A 100 POINT RESTO!  JUST SAYING.

KEN H.

I see a canister.  Something so trivial would not have been overlooked on this car.  Also, there were several engine variations, they chose what was thought to be correct when the car was raced at Green Valley, which if I remember right is a 5 bolt 289.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

KPHARTLEY

Thank you Charles for pointing that out.  I didn't realize that the button head pumps came with a filter.  Was this something race only?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: KPHARTLEY on July 22, 2020, 11:16:36 AM
Thank you Charles for pointing that out.  I didn't realize that the button head pumps came with a filter.  Was this something race only?
FYI 65 289 V8's typically came with a button top with integral filter.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

KPHARTLEY

Thank you all for your information, I stand corrected.  What would be the list or stamped number for that pump?

Ken H.

CharlesTurner

Quote from: KPHARTLEY on July 23, 2020, 09:26:41 AM
What would be the list or stamped number for that pump?

Ken H.

Hipo would be 3939S
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Helmantel

Quote from: CharlesTurner on July 22, 2020, 09:34:34 AM
Quote from: KPHARTLEY on July 22, 2020, 09:00:13 AM
BEAUTIFUL CAR, BUT IF YOU ARE GOING TO RESTORE A 1965R OR EVEN A REGULAR 1965 SHELBY, YOU SHOULD A LEAST USE THE RIGHT FUEL PUMP.  NOT A 1966-1967 BUTTON TOP.  3.8 MILLION SHOULD GET YOU A 100 POINT RESTO!  JUST SAYING.

KEN H.

I see a canister.  Something so trivial would not have been overlooked on this car.  Also, there were several engine variations, they chose what was thought to be correct when the car was raced at Green Valley, which if I remember right is a 5 bolt 289.

Since the car must have come with a 6 bolt engine from Ford, they had installed an earlier engine? I can imagine they just took one from their inventory of already race prepped Cobra race engines and spent their time and effort on getting the rest of the car ready instead.

CharlesTurner

Quote from: Helmantel on July 23, 2020, 04:43:24 PM
Since the car must have come with a 6 bolt engine from Ford, they had installed an earlier engine? I can imagine they just took one from their inventory of already race prepped Cobra race engines and spent their time and effort on getting the rest of the car ready instead.

Right, it would have come from Ford with the 6 bolt.  The car was restored to the best representation as it was raced at Green Valley, Feb 14, 1965.  It arrived at Venice at the end of October, supposedly around Halloween, 1964.  That's 2 full months of build/testing... it was the first competition model prototype and most likely changed day to day.  There were probably hundreds, if not thousands of miles put on it during that time and the 6 bolt was probably used up or would have needed a rebuild before the first race.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge