News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

What did you do to your '67 today?

Started by rmarble57, July 18, 2020, 04:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lfino

JD

Quote from: Lfino on August 27, 2021, 01:41:52 AM
Finally got the engine installed.

Great, did it go in with the headers on or did you have to take them off?

(rotated)
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Lfino

I was told with those particular headers (Stans), they would go right in.
Other than removing the gas pedal assembly, there was enough room for a thin towel on each shock tower!
I did raise the rear of the car.

Lfino

Toploader is now in place.
Now that the engine is in it's final resting place, a quick look around found there is not enough room for the upper nut of the idler arm bracket. Headers too close. Now I will have to tweak my brand new ceramic coated headers!! DAMN!!

shelbydoug

Stan has a lot of enablers around who frankly don't know WTF they are talking about. I do admit that he does beautiful work but the Hookers are the only ones that I know of that fit out of the box. How well any particular set of his headers fit is really a crap shoot.

Admittedly I do have a set of his 180° headers on my Pantera and they fit well but having said that, they got coated after they were fit to the car AND there isn't ANYTHING on this planet that is a more difficult fit for headers that I can think of then a '67 GT500.

Even so, on a 67 GT500, you need to get them uncoated. Then you have to "fit" them with a hammer since you are going to have tubes right up against obstructions that you could not have otherwise predicted.

Mine (Hookers) have strange dimples in them here and there just because of this situation.

Once you have them installed with "adequate" clearances, THEN AND ONLY THEN, you send them out to be coated.

This subject has been discussed HERE before. Where you get your information from and from WHOM is very important and significant. We are not the automotive Q-anon here to carry false information and conspiracy theories created by a 15 year old he-she sex performer from Singapore.

Most of us here are not geniuses. Our knowledge base comes from a VERY LONG history of learning largely from the School of Hard Knocks. Lots of times (but not always) we try to help others avoid the pitfalls that we had and share our bumps of knowledge to help you avoid that needlessly. Agreed though that there are many doubters and in that case there are those that follow the false prophets and get cast into the pits.

My advice at this point is get a nice heavy hammer and start dinging up your nice shiny headers. Sorry being the one to bring the bad news. I feel your pain. :(
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Lfino

Just a dash of frustration showing through.
I'll handle it and move on to the next.
Always have, always will. DAMN!!

jguyer

Got tired of the exhaust leak, put on a new header gasket.
"Never trust a man that don't eat cornbread, or a woman that don't cook it"

shelbydoug

Quote from: jguyer on September 05, 2021, 09:11:30 PM

This time remember to tighten down the bolts! :o
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

jguyer

Quote from: shelbydoug on September 05, 2021, 09:39:14 PM

Used to do that every spring. Had the perfect 7/16" wrench, but I lost it. So I let it go, until it drove me crazy.
"Never trust a man that don't eat cornbread, or a woman that don't cook it"

shelbydoug

Quote from: jguyer on September 05, 2021, 11:39:33 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on September 05, 2021, 09:39:14 PM

Used to do that every spring. Had the perfect 7/16" wrench, but I lost it. So I let it go, until it drove me crazy.

I've never found a way to permanently keep the header bolts tight. Best to go with a inexpensive Mr.Gasket header gasket and check them frequently.

Some bolts never need re-tightening, others constant re-tightening. I have no doubts that there is an unpublished formula that involves the bolt location, your relative's ages and condition of your back, whether or not the car has new paint on it's fenders and the distance to the Earth's center of gravity that exactly explains it?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

davez

Found this behind the license plate of my 67 original paint 2382

Lfino

Ran the fuel lines from the tank to carbs!
Tomorrow will clamp them in place.
Why does everything take so long?

tonys_shelby

Cleaned up the car after driving back from the car show. Put on the lift, found the oil filter adapter gasket leaking and ps pump leaking from the big nut on the back. I'll try tightening it up. As for the gasket ordered a new one.

shelbyhertz66

Just hit 500 miles on my rebuilt hipo so I decided nothing catastrophic was probably going
to happen and it was probably time to adjust the valves , a pain to do it hot but
I guess that's the most accurate

Skidado

I noticed the right rear brake was locking up even with light pedal pressure, so I removed the wheel and drum and found a light covering of gear oil over everything including the friction surfaces. Time for new axle seals!

The old seals were difficult to remove but once out they appear to be a leather seal rather than rubber and have embossed on them what appears to be a Ford logo that has been subsequently obscured for some reason - both sides the same. I wonder if these were the original factory seals?