News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

69 GT350 tires

Started by SChatman, July 21, 2020, 05:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SChatman

Is there a radial tire reproduction that looks like the Goodyear original style Lettering tire? I've seen the bias ply Original reproduction But I was hoping to get the original look but radial drivability.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: SChatman on July 21, 2020, 05:17:09 PM
Is there a radial tire reproduction that looks like the Goodyear original style Lettering tire? I've seen the bias ply Original reproduction But I was hoping to get the original look but radial drivability.
Not yet and probably not in the near future that I am aware of. A viable alternative is to relabeling a radial tire set. A over simplified explanation is to get  one of the Goodyear tire letter kits available through various companies . It relatively easy to do .There are companies that specialize in shaving the side walls for a clean canvas to lay out your letters before applying the letters and wingfoot. You pay up for that service but the finished product looks nothing short of fantastic. One of the forum members does this services or at last used to hopefully he will respond.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

SChatman

Thanks Bob, hopefully he will reply. I'd like to get that original look and I'm not sure that I would drive the car much when I'm done anyway but just tying to kill two birds with one stone.

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Bob Gaines on July 21, 2020, 05:37:49 PM
Not yet and probably not in the near future that I am aware of. A viable alternative is to relabeling a radial tire set. A over simplified explanation is to get  one of the Goodyear tire letter kits available through various companies . It relatively easy to do .There are companies that specialize in shaving the side walls for a clean canvas to lay out your letters before applying the letters and wingfoot. You pay up for that service but the finished product looks nothing short of fantastic. One of the forum members does this services or at last used to hopefully he will respond.
Never seen that kit. Can you lead me to one? Thanks. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on July 22, 2020, 02:52:22 PM
Here is just one of a number . https://www.tirestickers.com/shop/?gclid=CjwKCAjwx9_4BRAHEiwApAt0zkfGdO_nnn5OIClC0oQswIjUj6dn2YIWVwvPk0CF1ehNwN_yp7jVfxoCEn4QAvD_BwE  .You can do a google search for others.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Bob Gaines on July 22, 2020, 03:10:16 PM
Quote from: shelbymann1970 on July 22, 2020, 02:52:22 PM
Here is just one of a number . https://www.tirestickers.com/shop/?gclid=CjwKCAjwx9_4BRAHEiwApAt0zkfGdO_nnn5OIClC0oQswIjUj6dn2YIWVwvPk0CF1ehNwN_yp7jVfxoCEn4QAvD_BwE  .You can do a google search for others.
Thanks
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

SCJSTU

Bringing this topic back up I have a 69 GT350 convertible built Jan 69 and want correct appearing tires

Found these.... are the closet to original?
1969 Shelby GT350 convertible 4 speed/ AC
Built Jan 1969 Red/Black

1967 S-Code 4 spd Black/Parchment
2004 Mustang Mach 1
1956 Ford F-100 Big Window 392 Hemi
1957 F-100 Fridge
1963 Falcon Ranchero
1961 Econoline PU
1961 Falcon 2 dr wagon
1970 Challenger R/T vert 4 speed
1970 Chevy Blazer 2WD

Mongo

your v.i.n. in The Registry will show you what tires!  my original car 480448 Jan 22 and my beater 480627 Jan 30 both are F70x15 blackwall tires from the factory.

SCJSTU

Quote from: Mongo on May 16, 2021, 07:53:18 PM
your v.i.n. in The Registry will show you what tires!  my original car 480448 Jan 22 and my beater 480627 Jan 30 both are F70x15 blackwall tires from the factory.

Thanks for the quick reply........I guess I want the look of white letter tires then.......
1969 Shelby GT350 convertible 4 speed/ AC
Built Jan 1969 Red/Black

1967 S-Code 4 spd Black/Parchment
2004 Mustang Mach 1
1956 Ford F-100 Big Window 392 Hemi
1957 F-100 Fridge
1963 Falcon Ranchero
1961 Econoline PU
1961 Falcon 2 dr wagon
1970 Challenger R/T vert 4 speed
1970 Chevy Blazer 2WD

Mongo

Extra tip!  Your car probably small bearing spindle, Shelby told dealer "not" to put the wider tires on small bearing because of bearing failure.
Hense the F60x15 were part of the HD suspension upgrade to prevent that around end of May beginning of April for the production run change.

Mongo

i'm sorry i made a typo  early small spindle bearing cars got E70x15 black walls later big bearing HD cars F60x15 white letters.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: SCJSTU on May 16, 2021, 07:41:39 PM
Bringing this topic back up I have a 69 GT350 convertible built Jan 69 and want correct appearing tires

Found these.... are the closet to original?
No, not correct for your car given the build date. Yours most likely came with the E 70 15 black wall tires like many 68's used. End of March 69 was the approximate changover date.  If you are pleasure driving I would reconsider the repro tires. You will not like them compared to even the worst radial.

Bill

1584 came with the F70 Goodyears per Mongo, but the larger KKX spindle assemblies when new. I used the BFG's for many years and recently (IE two years ago) switched over to a Goodyear Assurance 215/65R15 (smooth black wall which I can eventually add raised white letters to with the kits out on the market). It fills the wheel wells fairly well, not quite that same look as the F60, but the ride and the handling are great, both around town, and at "highway speeds"  ;)

Spec wise, they are close enough for me
Original F60
Overall Diameter in inches-25.9
Section Width in inches-9.2

Goodyear Assurance 215/65R15
Overall Diameter in inches-26
Section Width in inches-8.5

Other than the Avon's, or the radial version of the Firestone wide ovals, not original, but still a period look, I have not found a worthy alternative...I was recently told that the Cooper Cobras are a nice, all around tire, I'd have to mount them blackwall out though. Have yet to hear from anyone running the radial version of the Firestone, would be interesting to know how they are for mixed driving.
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Mongo on May 16, 2021, 08:03:45 PM
Extra tip!  Your car probably small bearing spindle, Shelby told dealer "not" to put the wider tires on small bearing because of bearing failure.
Hense the F60x15 were part of the HD suspension upgrade to prevent that around end of May beginning of April for the production run change.
Even though most of 69 Mustangs(Shelbys or reg cars) out there are not driven daily I still shutter on all those on Facebook Mustang groups that are putting such big tires-tall and wide as well as larger rims on stock 69 Mustang suspensions(earlier years also). I wonder if any of them were doing extra curricular activity and had a failure or even rubbing issues. I think an E-70-15 equivalent(215-65-15) up front is more than enough tire to stuff inside a stock front wheel well(I've gotten 255-60-15s on 15x7 rims) to work in the rear on virgin cars) owners are hell bent on stuffing in tall fat tires up front on stock 69 suspensions.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

shelbydoug

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on May 19, 2021, 07:09:55 AM
Quote from: Mongo on May 16, 2021, 08:03:45 PM
Even though most of 69 Mustangs(Shelbys or reg cars) out there are not driven daily I still shutter on all those on Facebook Mustang groups that are putting such big tires-tall and wide as well as larger rims on stock 69 Mustang suspensions(earlier years also). I wonder if any of them were doing extra curricular activity and had a failure or even rubbing issues. I think an E-70-15 equivalent(215-65-15) up front is more than enough tire to stuff inside a stock front wheel well(I've gotten 255-60-15s on 15x7 rims) to work in the rear on virgin cars) owners are hell bent on stuffing in tall fat tires up front on stock 69 suspensions.

The "official" reason for the change is often quoted as bearing failure.

When I compare the differences between the small and large spindles, just the spindle itself is thicker. The outer bearing is the same. The inner bearing is smaller.

Engineering wise, what I am reading is that it was a spindle failure rather then a inner bearing failure?

I personally am now running the "big spindles" but for 35 years ran the small '68 spindle with some serious tire combinations. I had no front bearing issues at all even after running the car hard.

Considering the possible tire combinations and hearing absolutely no talk of front end failures, I'm wondering if this was an over reaction?

I'm ok with it because it resulted in a better part but I suspect is a little bit of overkill?

What about T/A racing? Never hear much about bearing failure on the pre-big spindle cars?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!