News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Fresh find GT500KR

Started by bugnbox, July 24, 2020, 11:10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68blk500c

Congratulations!  You are taking the correct approach: learn before you leap.

Coralsnake

QuoteYou can find charts on the internet that say what FL SAAC said but they seem to have all copied the same incorrect information from earlier printed books.

Excellent point, sir. There are those that have knowledge and others that have, well...

Chris Thauberger

Quote from: Royce Peterson on July 24, 2020, 06:24:37 PM
The exact same casting ID was used on every size FE (except the 427) so it could be a 352, a 390, a 410 or a 428. Casting numbers on FE blocks are generally useless except the date code next to the oil filter adapter. It may or may not be a 428CJ but hopefully it is.

You can find charts on the internet that say what FL SAAC said but they seem to have all copied the same incorrect information from earlier printed books.

At the end of the day you need the date code, the presence of a C scratch on the rear bulkhead, and a 4.13" bore size with a 1U crank to know for sure.

Quote from: FL SAAC on July 24, 2020, 12:47:10 PM
Block 1966-1970 428

Carb holley 4 barrel for auto

+1
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

Chris Thauberger

Quote from: Coralsnake on July 24, 2020, 06:39:05 PM
QuoteYou can find charts on the internet that say what FL SAAC said but they seem to have all copied the same incorrect information from earlier printed books.

Excellent point, sir. There are those that have knowledge and others that have, well...

++1

It's pretty obvious after a couple days. ;)

Or just a few post...  ::)
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

FL SAAC

bugnbox,

I do not paint, restore, consult, judge  or offer goods for sale.

I can offer you some advice. Be careful who you trust. Salt and sugar look the same, life is full of fake people.

Enjoy your journey

Quote from: bugnbox on July 24, 2020, 11:10:58 AM
Hey everybody! Newbie here with lots to learn. I recently pulled a GT500KR home from an Arizona estate where it's owner since 1970 had it stored. It's a solid car, but sun cooked, looks to be all original (for the most part) and I want to learn everything I can about it.

I ran the Marti report and it's a legitimate 500KR 4 speed , but I want to check the numbers on the engine and all the major components to make sure it's correct .

03330 is the number, it's in the Shelby Registry (a friend sent me a copy of the listing)

Where do I start?
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

cali_kr

Welcome to the KR family!

Enjoy the ride
SAAC National member since 1981
SAAC NorCal member since 1985 (past editor, DRIVEN) past Board Member
Team Shelby Charter member & State Director

Stillakid54

Quote from: 68blk500c on July 24, 2020, 06:25:46 PM
Congratulations!  You are taking the correct approach: learn before you leap.

One more congrats. Please keep us posted on your progress.
68-2766, since 1990
69-2524, since 1992

GT350AUS

Great find, enjoy and welcome.

Plenty of members here that can help you get it to where YOU want it.

They've helped me with my KR each time I've shouted out from down under

Enjoy it mate.

bugnbox

Thanks everybody for the well wishes. Im approaching this one as a great opportunity to learn. I love learning new stuff and this being my first time through such a beast, I am already having a blast.  Got the engine started and tuned a bit...sounds really good actually. The fuel pump is leaking out the weep hole so I ordered up a rebuild kit. The starter solenoid was not behaving properly so I replaced it with a new one (but kept the original)

I crawled under the car just now to check the casting date numbers...sadly I don't think it is the original block. The number is 6L28 which if Im not mistaken is November 28th 1966 (the day before my birthday coincidentally). I would imagine that is a notable hit in value for the car. It is what it is...still a neat find with solid history. Still proud to have it in the garage.

68krrrr

Congrats & enjoy ,thats amazing you got it running already now you can be the "King of the Road"
Current
1967 GT500 #1724
Nightmist Blue /Parchment
2005 Ford Gt Midnight blue
Porsche 911 Turbo 2007 Highly modified
1934 Ford Chopped & channeled

Previously owned
1968 GT500KR #03528 Lime green
1968 GT/CS

"Fly low & avoid the radar"
Thanks Adam

Coralsnake

Great work so far! You are in the right place. The best experts in the world are here.

That would be a replacement block. Its not a large hit to the value, but in my opinion, you should find a Cobra Jet engine.

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/Price

Lets check the numbers on the back of the intake, between the carb and fiewall. Is the intake aluminum or cast iron?

Secondly, lets check the heads. Look around the two center spark plugs on each side. You may need a flashlight. You should find some casting numbers there.

You may have an engine with some very valuable parts. The carb you have is not correct for this car, but it is very valuable. Dont let that or any other parts get feet.

Coralsnake

mark p

great find - welcome aboard and good luck. Sounds great that it is already running.
Keep us posted  8)
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

Royce Peterson

It could still be a 428 from an earlier era. Fortunately there is nothing unique about a 428CJ block. The same blocks that were used to build 428CJ's were used to build 428 cop cars or grandma's 428 Park Lane station wagon. Virtually any 428 with a proper date code could be a good block for your car.

Other things are 428CJ specific. Hopefully the intake, heads, and exhaust manifolds are the real ones. There ought to be a VIN stamp on the rear face of the driver side cylinder head. I've had good luck taking photos of it using a cell phone below the brake booster.

Quote from: bugnbox on July 25, 2020, 12:28:41 AM
Thanks everybody for the well wishes. Im approaching this one as a great opportunity to learn. I love learning new stuff and this being my first time through such a beast, I am already having a blast.  Got the engine started and tuned a bit...sounds really good actually. The fuel pump is leaking out the weep hole so I ordered up a rebuild kit. The starter solenoid was not behaving properly so I replaced it with a new one (but kept the original)

I crawled under the car just now to check the casting date numbers...sadly I don't think it is the original block. The number is 6L28 which if Im not mistaken is November 28th 1966 (the day before my birthday coincidentally). I would imagine that is a notable hit in value for the car. It is what it is...still a neat find with solid history. Still proud to have it in the garage.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Coralsnake

Here is another resource for you as you gather information:

vinman@infionline.net

Vinny is the 1968 Shelby Registrar. He may have paperwork or information in the car.

;D