Author Topic: 1969 GT350 Z bar clutch linkage adjustments  (Read 1493 times)

Dan353

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
1969 GT350 Z bar clutch linkage adjustments
« on: August 09, 2020, 05:50:33 PM »
Im not sure if my Z bar is bent.   Does anyone know if someone makes a stronger Z bar or a way to reinforce one so it doesn’t bend?  I have to almost push the pedal through the floor to get the clutch to engage so I can shift into gear. I used the procedure in the shop manual but my pedal always has to be pushed all the way to the floor to shift.  Is there a way to adjust the lower rod to make it disengage closer to the top of the pedal travel and still have enough free play?  Also I installed a Center force clutch and pressure plate and throw out bearing and cannot get the pedal to come all the way up without assistance. I had to put a heavier spring to the Z bar from the firewall in order to get the pedal to come full up.    Thanks in advance for any help you can give
Dan

cj750

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1969 GT350 Z bar clutch linkage adjustments
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 08:50:28 AM »

Dan:

I ran into the same problem after installing a heavy duty clutch in my '69 Cougar Eliminator with a 351W, which used the same spindly Z-bar as the Mustangs and Shelbys. I welded a piece of flat strap to the back of the long upper arm to make it thicker and stronger, and also triangular gusset pieces from the pivot tube to both the upper and lower arms. Clearance is tight, but there's enough room to add significant reinforcement. I also drilled out the egg-shaped upper and lower linkage holes and installed Hurst shifter bushings, which eliminated a lot of slop.
If you'd rather not go the do-it-yourself route, Opentracker has a kit: https://opentrackerracing.com/product/roller-z-bar-clutch-rods-351w-1967-1970-mustang/
Good luck!

Jay
Every post I make comes with an implied request for corrections. I'm here to learn.

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 01:09:12 PM »
You can weld a saddle over it or use a diaphragm clutch.
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

mikeh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 02:29:21 PM »
That opentracker piece is slick!!

cj750

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 02:45:27 PM »
FWIW, these are the shifter bushings I used: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/huu-3327302
(They're also good for tightening up Ford shift linkage.)
Another worthwhile upgrade, especially with a heavier than stock clutch, are roller pedal bearings. I've installed them on two cars, and they make a noticeable difference. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sdk-c5zz2478rbmk
Every post I make comes with an implied request for corrections. I'm here to learn.

Dan353

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 12:18:41 PM »
Thank you for all your help I’ll try it
Dan