News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Shelby American; USA Transporters and Service Vehicles

Started by Richstang, March 16, 2018, 06:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richstang

I don't know if anyone cares about the details as much as I've been noting them here, but if you are following along with them...

I noticed the two Ford HD1000- COE cabs have another detail that helps tell them apart. The first cab sent to Nassau in late 1963 has a single exhaust stack.  The newer cab that appears in Sebring '65 has dual exhaust stacks. This would mean the cab at Daytona in Feb '65 is actually the older cab with the single exhaust stack (or it could be a replacement). It gets difficult to follow with all the changes.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Side-Oilers

Richstang: I definitely appreciate all the little details that you and the other guys on here regularly share. 
And it's always fun to see new things in an old photo.
Please continue!
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Stillakid54

Quote from: Richstang on March 27, 2018, 10:52:34 PM
I don't know if anyone cares about the details as much as I've been noting them here, but if you are following along with them...
Excellent!
Wonderful to see how this aspect of the overall story has been preserved.
68-2766, since 1990
69-2524, since 1992

Richstang

Thank you for the interest in the detailed notes along with the posted photos! I'll keep on adding them.

Here we see the new Ford HD1000 COE cab parked out front of 1042 Princeton Drive with the dual exhaust stacks painted white. It has the CA plate "1A MFG 013" that I spoke of previously. Notice the address on the cab doors is 6501 W. Imperial Hwy. The photo must have been taken during the transition between both locations. My guess is this was in the May 1965.

We can also see the new ridged box trailer behind it along with a glimpse of the older Ford HD1000 COE cab (and its single exhaust stack.) The Carter Ave shop is in the background.

Richstang

Here's the other side of the cab showing off the MFG plate much clearer. The boxes and trash might indicate of move underway, but...

At first I thought this photo was taken behind the Carter Ave building, but there are no garage doors in sight. Strike one!
Then I thought it might be along the side of the Carter Ave building, but there is no window at the back corner. Strike two!
That only leaves Princeton Drive, but it couldn't be the front or side. So it has to be the back, but I've never seen any photos from that location. Surely it isn't as wide a building as the picture alludes to. I'm thinking the cab is parking in the perfect spot to hide the alley way in between to two buildings. There really isn't any other explanation I can think of.

Anyone else have some thought here?

6R07mi

Quote from: Richstang on March 27, 2018, 10:52:34 PM

I noticed the two Ford HD1000- COE cabs have another detail that helps tell them apart. The first cab sent to Nassau in late 1963 has a single exhaust stack.  The newer cab that appears in Sebring '65 has dual exhaust stacks. This would mean the cab at Daytona in Feb '65 is actually the older cab with the single exhaust stack (or it could be a replacement). It gets difficult to follow with all the changes.

Rich,
Back in 1964/65 the HD100 were usually powered by Detroit Diesel engines, the single stack may have been the 6-71 DDA inline six that would use the single 4 or 5" exhaust, the other truck may have the 8V-71 "V"8 version. Since these were natural aspirated engines without turbo charging, the V8 likely used a dual exhaust as the routing is much simpler.

regards,

jim p
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense

Richstang

Thanks Jim,

I found the truck name from some of the period Ford brochures online. I noticed a non diesel would have been called simply a H1000 while the diesel became the HD1000. I don't recall seeing anything about an "inline 6" or a "V8" option. Thanks for adding your notes on them and the exhausts.

papa scoops

gt350cs

Thanks for all the detail information being posted here.

Richstang

Quote from: papa scoops on March 28, 2018, 01:54:00 PM
Detroit diesel = twice pipes. phred

That does not seem to hold true. The photos of the first SA acquired Ford HD1000 cab show the "Diesel" emblem on the nose of the cab with a single exhaust. A good photo of both the single exhaust stack and diesel emblem can be seen in reply #108.

Richstang

Quote from: honker on March 28, 2018, 04:51:41 PM
Rich, great stuff on the trailers & tractors, and those little differences, wouldn't have noticed.

moving up a couple of years,this is my photo (was posted on the old forum)  from the '68 Trans-Am race at Tremblant (St. Jovite) not the best, was concentrating on the car, would you say they would still be using the same trailer ?

Mike

Mike,
I believe both box trailers were kept and used through 1969, although the COE cabs do change. Your posted B&W photo here in '68 appears to be the smooth side box trailer with the tool boxes mounted on the right side.

I'm going to try to stay in chronological order as I continue to post. It a work in progress thread and I'm learning along the way too. Fell free to jump in again when I get up to '68 with that other B&W photo of the trailer. Either that or I can post it in full size and give you the photo credit. (I will send a PM at the point).

Richstang

Well I'm still very curious what anyone thinks about the lone rig photo in Venice in the above reply #124, but let's keeping moving forward.

Here we see a full length photo of the dual stack transporter and smooth side trailer at LAX. This was said to be May 2, 1965 heading to Riverside.
I'm not 100% certain on that exact date. I would think they might need to arrive a day or so earlier than the race for practice and set up.

Richstang

The following weekend, May 9, 1965 the same transporter as above was at Laguna Seca.

A whole sequence of photos were pictured in the 2016 Spring issue of "The Shelby American".
That's it for 1965 season and the Box Trailers, except for the "Cobra Caravan", it up next....

Richstang

This first photo taken at LAX actually shows an incomplete transporter. Although very close to finished in its new paint refresh, the door does not have the company name and address on it yet. Also more significant, is the lack of exhaust stacks put back on after its new paint. A color photo can be seen in the 2011 Winter issue of "The Shelby American".

Richstang

Here the rear view of the trailer shows the full schedule of stops planned for the Cobra Caravan tour.
We can also see the CA license plate to confirm it is the same original smooth sided box trailer.