News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

NOS Ford sill trim finish

Started by Rukiddin, August 16, 2020, 07:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rukiddin

The Ford supplied door sill trim seems to be polished,or just too shiney,in my opinion after comparing back sides of original era pieces. Most of my cars have a finish that looks like a beer can ,for lack of better description. My genuine Ford parts that I have had for 10 years,I believe, look like repo parts because of the near-chrome finish. Am I imagining this or? Any ideas on dulling the finish w/o destroying the parts? Thanks!

roddster

Bob G described some aluminum wash that knocked the "chrome-like" brilliance down in a post a few years back.  I do not recall the exact name.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: roddster on August 19, 2020, 09:38:39 AM
  Bob G described some aluminum wash that knocked the "chrome-like" brilliance down in a post a few years back.  I do not recall the exact name.
Rod, basically any product with acid in it will knock the shine done. Each to a different level. You have to experiment with each product and time applied. The Eagle One Cleaner Original Etching Mag Cleaner for open pore aluminum that in the instructions says not to put on polished aluminum is one that really knocks the shine down. I use that on some aluminum items that have to be polished to correct problems to bring them back to a more original dull smooth finish. I only leave it on for about 10 seconds coating completely fast and rinse off. If you are slow it will turn out blotchy. There is a learning curve on the technique.If your part has a clear coat or is anodized in any way forget  it. Coating has to be stripped off first.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

CharlesTurner

Here's a '65 SA photo... they look pretty shiny to me.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

68blk500c

Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Rukiddin

So,either type, is acceptable,right? I actually prefer the dull(er) finish. Trying to choose the most authentic,original, pair possible. Figures,I have a pair of shiney,and one duller.... ;)

CharlesTurner

Quote from: Rukiddin on August 20, 2020, 10:00:19 AM
So,either type, is acceptable,right? I actually prefer the dull(er) finish. Trying to choose the most authentic,original, pair possible. Figures,I have a pair of shiney,and one duller.... ;)

Dull would be more acceptable for an Unrestored car.  For a restored car, they should be shiny.  Maybe not mirror finish, but not too far from it either.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge