Author Topic: What is it about the 66 GT350  (Read 11997 times)

shelbyluva

• View Profile
Re: What is it about the 66 GT350
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2020, 05:43:24 PM »
1966 below aprox 1,000 is the high watermark. The ones with over-ride traction bars and either factory or owner lowered A arms along with Konis gives you all the BP winning chassis advantages. The engine continues the performance upgrades of the 65. The rear 1/4 windows set it apart from pedestrian Mustang grocery getters. As soon as you get to 1967 the cars start to be heavier and more of a styling exercise than performance road racers. By the time Ford was building them in 1968 they were only heavy expensive restyled Mustangs with nothing different in the drivetrain that you couldn't order on any Mustang. Which explains the rapid demise of GT350 and GT500 once Ford took them over.

I agree, and continue to find that the market doesn't seem to recognize cars 253 through approximately 1000 as including more desirable features that 98SVT mentions through different valuation to be interesting.

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2020, 06:06:59 PM »
Quick note to all your 65 Shelby owners out there reading up about how much better 66 Shelbys are...

I'm offering a special promotional program currently where Ill trade you a 66 of equal quality and originality for your lesser, crude, plain-jane 65...and I don't even want any cash on the hood! Straight trade...my loss is your gain...hurry while supplies last!

;D

You mean you would be the middle man and make money on the transaction  - especially since you don't own either ::)
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

Vernon Estes

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2020, 06:25:20 PM »
Quick note to all your 65 Shelby owners out there reading up about how much better 66 Shelbys are...

I'm offering a special promotional program currently where Ill trade you a 66 of equal quality and originality for your lesser, crude, plain-jane 65...and I don't even want any cash on the hood! Straight trade...my loss is your gain...hurry while supplies last!

;D

You mean you would be the middle man and make money on the transaction  - especially since you don't own either ::)

Neither here nor there...but I own the cars I sell. I only "broker" on rare occasions when guys who have bought cars from me want to resell them and would prefer it that way.

Just not my bag..takes all kinds to make the world go round though.

1966 below aprox 1,000 is the high watermark. The ones with over-ride traction bars and either factory or owner lowered A arms along with Konis gives you all the BP winning chassis advantages. The engine continues the performance upgrades of the 65. The rear 1/4 windows set it apart from pedestrian Mustang grocery getters. As soon as you get to 1967 the cars start to be heavier and more of a styling exercise than performance road racers. By the time Ford was building them in 1968 they were only heavy expensive restyled Mustangs with nothing different in the drivetrain that you couldn't order on any Mustang. Which explains the rapid demise of GT350 and GT500 once Ford took them over.

I agree, and continue to find that the market doesn't seem to recognize cars 253 through approximately 1000 as including more desirable features that 98SVT mentions through different valuation to be interesting.

I think its hard to peg what the "market" at large puts value on...no two buyers are the same. I think a lot of guys, when it comes to 66s, want an earlier car for the spec details you are referring to...  Conversely, a lot of guys buy strictly on the quality, originality, history, or combination of all of a specific car. Personally, I don't value a late "non carryover" car any less than an early "non carryover" 66 if both cars are equal. Might you take the earlier one if you literally had the choice of two cars with equal traits in every regard except the difference in serial numbers?...probably. But that sort of idealistic choice scenario is something which generally wouldnt happen in the real world.  At the same time, Id personally rather have a great late 66 over a lesser quality, earlier car.  Same with 65s...id rather have a fantastic front battery car over a middle of the road "2-digit". To me, I think its harder to find a great car than it is a great serial number.  Again, that is just my own personal taste. Everyone is different in what they prefer when it comes to buying these cars.

Kind regards,
Vern
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

6s2055

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2020, 07:26:50 PM »
Well put Vern!

shlby66

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2020, 07:42:56 PM »
    For me it is all about the 1/4 window. From the moment I saw the window in '66 I knew I had to have one.

Randy, hit the nail on the head. The 1/4 windows, are the major focal point, of the 66's.

So much so, I remember, several friends with '65's, went right over to Shelby's store, in El Segundo, bought
      the 1/4 window kits and installed them in their 65's.

One of those 65's, lived in Dave Dralles (rip) shop, for a long time and I bet Randy, knows about it.

Doug

6s1139

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2020, 08:19:20 PM »
I agree with most, to me 65/66 is where it is at, no interest in the later ones

I had always planned to trade my 66 for a 65 when the opportunity arouse (simply put, the 65 started it all - the parent) - but when it came down to the $ I found it hard to justify from the perspective of what I would be doing in the car. I do look after my 66 and am careful where I park but I still get it out for a drive as often as I can (its a driver, not a show car)

I just could not see me doing that with a 65, too much stress etc - my solution was to enjoy the 66, have a 65R clone for track days and a poster of a 65 to dream about  :)

cheers

Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2020, 08:55:46 PM »
They were made to be driven, and that is just what we do with 6S550. Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.

TJinSA

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2020, 09:23:21 PM »
I hope this is not taken as 66s are better than some other year, as the thread was supposed to be just what makes them special to the poster. My favorite model is another year, but regardless of value and price, I really do prefer the early 66s of the 65/6 years... and probably my own car's character most of all... and just maybe, ... maybe it could with some restoration, convince someone else just how beautiful and unique the cars truely are.
Tom Kubler
6S296

pchmotoho

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2020, 10:08:15 PM »
And the best thing about a 66 over a 65 is that I was able (barely) to afford one a few years back.

427hunter

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2020, 11:38:25 PM »
I hope this is not taken as 66s are better than some other year, as the thread was supposed to be just what makes them special to the poster. My favorite model is another year, but regardless of value and price, I really do prefer the early 66s of the 65/6 years... and probably my own car's character most of all... and just maybe, ... maybe it could with some restoration, convince someone else just how beautiful and unique the cars truely are.

Yes 100%, this is not about making money or being better then another year - these cars just have something that's hard to explain - I own a lot of cars but I like driving the 66 the best. 

P.S. most of us are into the cars not "value / market" B.S. It hard to explain true interest to people only attracted by money. 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 11:44:20 PM by 427hunter »

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

Vernon Estes

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2020, 12:19:20 AM »
Guys,

Just to be clear, my initial comment was intended to be taken with jest.  Sorry to anyone who didnt take it that way...but I felt it would clearly come across as a joke.

Anyone who actually knows me, knows that my attaction to the cars goes way beyond being "only attacted by money". In fact, I love the cars so much that I have made them my life's work. If that offends anyone, is what it is.  But I'm not going to sit on a forum and take random swipes at someone I don't know.

For what it's worth, I love 66s every bit as much as the OP does on this thread. I agree that the cars represent an awesome balance between the raw performance of a 65 and the styling upgrades more associated with the later years. Again, was making a harmless joke. Lighten up fella, its all good!

Carry On,
Vern

Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

427hunter

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2020, 12:23:56 AM »
Guys,

Just to be clear, my initial comment was intended to be taken with jest.  Sorry to anyone who didnt take it that way...but I felt it would clearly come across as a joke.

Anyone who actually knows me, knows that my attaction to the cars goes way beyond being "only attacted by money". In fact, I love the cars so much that I have made them my life's work. If that offends anyone, is what it is.  But I'm not going to sit on a forum and take random swipes at someone I don't know.

For what it's worth, I love 66s every bit as much as the OP does on this thread. I agree that the cars represent an awesome balance between the raw performance of a 65 and the styling upgrades more associated with the later years. Again, was making a harmless joke. Lighten up fella, its all good!

Carry On,
Vern

Maybe stop talking about yourself  ::) it's about the cars not you - lets move along and back to the 66 gt350.

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

SFM6S087

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2020, 02:07:52 AM »
    For me it is all about the 1/4 window. From the moment I saw the window in '66 I knew I had to have one.

Always loved the way the top of the 65-66 fastbacks have a bubble shape like the canopy of a P51D Mustang. Add the 1/4 Windows AND functional side scoops and I'm in heaven. Those two Shelby styling touches really make the car for me. The 65's will always be more valuable; and rightly so. But for me, the 66 is the more desirable car. Just personal preference.

Steve

camp upshur

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2020, 02:49:53 AM »

AW, you're alright Vern, no matter what they say about you!
 8) 8)
~SA

sfm5

• SAAC Member
  • Great White North
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2020, 09:22:59 AM »

Randy, hit the nail on the head. The 1/4 windows, are the major focal point, of the 66's.

So much so, I remember, several friends with '65's, went right over to Shelby's store, in El Segundo, bought
      the 1/4 window kits and installed them in their 65's.

One of those 65's, lived in Dave Dralles (rip) shop, for a long time and I bet Randy, knows about it.

Doug

Got a chuckle from this. Reminds me of the '63 Corvette owners that removed the split window because they preferred the "clean look" and visibility improvement of the '64 rear window. Flavor of the month. I'll bet there are not too many '65s with the 1/4 windows still around today?
65 GT350