Author Topic: What is it about the 66 GT350  (Read 11999 times)

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Re: What is it about the 66 GT350
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2020, 09:50:28 AM »
    For me it is all about the 1/4 window. From the moment I saw the window in '66 I knew I had to have one.

Randy, hit the nail on the head. The 1/4 windows, are the major focal point, of the 66's.

So much so, I remember, several friends with '65's, went right over to Shelby's store, in El Segundo, bought
      the 1/4 window kits and installed them in their 65's.

One of those 65's, lived in Dave Dralles (rip) shop, for a long time and I bet Randy, knows about it.

Doug

Got a chuckle from this. Reminds me of the '63 Corvette owners that removed the split window because they preferred the "clean look" and visibility improvement of the '64 rear window. Flavor of the month. I'll bet there are not too many '65s with the 1/4 windows still around today?

One came up for sale on BaT today

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-shelby-mustang-gt350-5/

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2020, 10:52:07 AM »
Guys,

Just to be clear, my initial comment was intended to be taken with jest.  Sorry to anyone who didnt take it that way...but I felt it would clearly come across as a joke.

Anyone who actually knows me, knows that my attaction to the cars goes way beyond being "only attacted by money". In fact, I love the cars so much that I have made them my life's work. If that offends anyone, is what it is.  But I'm not going to sit on a forum and take random swipes at someone I don't know.

For what it's worth, I love 66s every bit as much as the OP does on this thread. I agree that the cars represent an awesome balance between the raw performance of a 65 and the styling upgrades more associated with the later years. Again, was making a harmless joke. Lighten up fella, its all good!

Carry On,
Vern

Let me remind everyone the first Shelby that Vern bought was a '66! He's bought a few more since then.
     Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2020, 11:02:43 AM »
Guys,

Just to be clear, my initial comment was intended to be taken with jest.  Sorry to anyone who didnt take it that way...but I felt it would clearly come across as a joke.

Anyone who actually knows me, knows that my attaction to the cars goes way beyond being "only attacted by money". In fact, I love the cars so much that I have made them my life's work. If that offends anyone, is what it is.  But I'm not going to sit on a forum and take random swipes at someone I don't know.

For what it's worth, I love 66s every bit as much as the OP does on this thread. I agree that the cars represent an awesome balance between the raw performance of a 65 and the styling upgrades more associated with the later years. Again, was making a harmless joke. Lighten up fella, its all good!

Carry On,
Vern

Let me remind everyone the first Shelby that Vern bought was a '66! He's bought a few more since then.
     Randy
Any Shelby enthusiast should be so fortunate as to buy a Shelby 66 or not from someone Dealer or not that has as good of moral compass that Vern has.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2020, 12:03:59 PM »
Guys,

Carry On,
Vern

Randy
Any Shelby enthusiast should be so fortunate as to buy a Shelby 66 or not from someone Dealer or not that has as good of moral compass that Vern has.

This is like some kind of commercial, these threads always get hijacked - this was just going to be a discussion about the cars - now it's a dealer discussion - a Vernon Estes discussion . Can't we just have a car thread? Ever?
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

Vernon Estes

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2020, 12:38:56 PM »
Hey Guys,

First of all I appreciate the kind words from the above posters. This will be my last post on the thread because I don't believe my or anyone else's time is well spent b#itching back and forth on an internet forum. Life is too short for meaningless drama which is what this thread has, for some reason, become.

"427Hunter" is right in that the thread shouldnt be about me. Where he and I seem to disagree is that he feels ive made the thread about myself.

My understanding of my involvement on this thread is as follows.
1) In my first post I made a sarcastic comment about trading 66s for 65s straight up. This is where a normal, well adjusted adult would either choose to snicker or not depending on whether or not you appreicate my particular brand of humor. 
2) My second post was made in response to another poster expressing an opinion about potential value differences in late vs early 66s. I responded to that post in a way which, at least I think, emphasized how great 66 Shelbys of all serial numbers are and that values dont generally tend to reflect serial number as much as they do the quality of the car. At least my intention of that post was to emphasize enthusiasm for the model year. I'm sorry if I was mistaken, but considering that this is a forum emphasizing the sharing of info, I thought I was trying to share my opinions in a way that might inform others about a specific topic which another poster brought into the conversation. Instead, I was branded as making the thread "all about values".
3) My third post was an attempt to get along with "427Hunter" who, in my view, has taken three fairly clear swipes at me on a public forum without anything which I would assume was or could be considered a provocation.

In my view, I'm not the specific poster on this thread who has chosen to make this thread about myself. That was handled very effectively by the guy who seems to be repeatedly making the accusation by going out of his way to take swings at someone who doesn't know.

I've got no beef with "427Hunter" personally...and I'm willing to let "bygones be bygones" and move on. We can all agree that we share a passion for the cars. More importantly, what I appreciate more about the hobby are the people involved, its only partially about the cars after you're "in it" for long enough.  I'm hopefully "427Hunter" and I can get along and both appreciate the passion that we share for these great cars.

Let's all move on with the thread.

Vern
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2020, 12:44:05 PM »
It can never be about the cars - NEVER !
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

sfm5

• SAAC Member
  • Great White North
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2020, 12:47:25 PM »
    For me it is all about the 1/4 window. From the moment I saw the window in '66 I knew I had to have one.

Randy, hit the nail on the head. The 1/4 windows, are the major focal point, of the 66's.

So much so, I remember, several friends with '65's, went right over to Shelby's store, in El Segundo, bought

One of those 65's, lived in Dave Dralles (rip) shop, for a long time and I bet Randy, knows about it.

Doug

Got a chuckle from this. Reminds me of the '63 Corvette owners that removed the split window because they preferred the "clean look" and visibility improvement of the '64 rear window. Flavor of the month. I'll bet there are not too many '65s with the 1/4 windows still around today?

Good find 2112! I recall seeing this car listed for sale on Hemmings a few years ago. According to the notes on one of the accompanying BAT photos a previous owner replaced the louvers with plexi quarter windows to improve visibility "so he could see better when he was racing". Function over form? Interesting that "R" Models, that were built for racing, were completely blocked off.
65 GT350

A-Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2020, 12:51:13 PM »

Just following this thread but I'm confused with this comment. 427hunter, would you help me understand the comment?

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2020, 01:10:15 PM »

Doug

Good find 2112! I recall seeing this car listed for sale on Hemmings a few years ago. According to the notes on one of the accompanying BAT photos a previous owner replaced the louvers with plexi quarter windows to improve visibility "so he could see better when he was racing". Function over form? Interesting that "R" Models, that were built for racing, were completely blocked off.
   I can say that driving and or racing my 66 GT 350 for many years I dont think I relied ever on the quarter windows for visibility. Loved the look thou! ;D

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2020, 01:30:47 PM »

Doug

The quickest lightest option.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

6s2020

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2020, 02:25:57 PM »

Doug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTVDpOaTGsc    8) ;D
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 02:27:28 PM by 6s2020 »

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2020, 08:07:04 PM »

Doug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTVDpOaTGsc    8) ;D
The mirror dented the nose of the Cobra. I was fixed before it was returned. One of the Cobras also got frame damage when they slid it into the center channel of the LA River. The first time they drove the Ferrari into the back of the truck the stunt driver didn't get it stopped in time and hit the front of the trailer - he got fired.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

A-Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2020, 08:08:30 PM »

Just following this thread but I'm confused with this comment. 427hunter, would you help me understand the comment?

I guess '427hunter' has left the building...

Sfm6sxxx

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2020, 09:12:13 PM »

I guess '427hunter' has left the building...

Don't make it about him!

6S1114

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2020, 10:26:25 PM »
Had my sights set on a 65-66 GT350 as long as I remember. One photo steered me more in the direction of a 66 for all the reasons mentioned here...the photo of 6S1291 in Ray Miller's "Mustang Does It" on pages 84-85. Not sure why, but that B&W photo is still one of the coolest I've ever seen of a 66, when I saw that I decided I had to get me one of those...
Dave - 6S1757