Author Topic: What is it about the 66 GT350  (Read 11998 times)

6T6/7

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: What is it about the 66 GT350
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2020, 12:05:24 AM »
I've been fortunate to own a both a '66 and '67. I actually like all years of Shelbys. I've always looked at each year as an evolution and consider the situation when each car was developed and first came to market when evaluating. Each year has something unique to offer.  However, I have noticed for a long time that the '66s seem to have, shall we say, the most "cult-like" following. Perhaps even more so than the '65s? Maybe with the '65s rarity and exclusivity there's not enough to form a large enough cult🙂?  Possibly, the '66's "relative" attainability, color/wheel/transmission variety and of course the original Mustang platform, it just hits a sweet spot for many. Just some random thoughts and speculation.
‘66 6S379, ‘67 GT350 #1661

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2020, 10:53:55 AM »
    The '65 is the closest looking version to the original car. Stripes and a hood scoop (  were the visual besides wheels) were the visual clues. '66 added the "non Mustang" windows and scoops setting them apart. IMHO the '66 is the most commonly cloned of all years and only behind coupes in popularity for doing so. Sure '67 and up require more specialty parts and work but the appeal of the '66 is there.
  The most popular "modification" is by far the 1" front suspension relocation. There seems to be some "magic" with doing that mod. I had a carry over and my current '66 at the same time years ago , and the difference in normal driving was undetectable "to me". In an open track situation there was an improvement .
   Randy
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 11:42:24 AM by gt350hr »
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

pchmotoho

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2020, 11:18:10 AM »
I think it's hard to determine the most faked Shelby because often I have no idea what the owner of the car is doing.  Ill see a self described fake 65 with an automatic, painted blue with 66 side windows and then Ill see a fake 66 with stock Mustang side vents, pony interior and a 4 bar horse corral on the grill. 

But hey like the guy told my wife one time at a car show.  He knew my 66 was real because it had Shelbys signature on the glove box (I was currently looking for a 66 glove box door with nice patina to it). 

6s1802

• Mamber since 1981
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2020, 11:45:11 AM »
That's why I had Uncle Chuck sign mine. I go to cars and coffee park 6S1802 and the crowds stand around the fake Shelby restomod whatever the hell it is because the engine compartment is painted body color, it has 17" wheels and a lot of chrome. Maybe it's just the people in California. All Shelby Mustangs shared the same vision, performance. I'm partial to 65-6 but I like every year that they built.

Doug C

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2020, 11:46:24 AM »
In my observations - if one adds stripes to a Mustang its considered a Shelby.  We all know thats not true.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2020, 12:16:18 PM »
  Doug you're going to have a lot of ''hardtop" owners sending you hate mail now. Especially those with the "Shelby drop". 8)

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2020, 01:26:35 PM »
The side scoops and quarter glass really change the look of the car compared to the 65. My 69 is way more exotic (People in there 20's ask me what brand and make it is) but the 66 is a car everybody knows - the most common question I get with the 66 "is it real", that's a good measure of the number of fakes running around.
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2020, 03:42:15 PM »
   I get that too , especially without roof stripes. The "armchair experts" know "all REAL" Shelbys have roof stripes LMAO.

Doug C

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2020, 04:12:19 PM »
  Doug you're going to have a lot of ''hardtop" owners sending you hate mail now. Especially those with the "Shelby drop". 8

Randy, I guess so but after having a White, Green and Red Hertz with Gold stripes and being told that never had any color than Black I think I can live with the “stripped hardtop” owners.  Cheers and stay safe.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2020, 05:03:20 PM »
    The '65 is the closest looking version to the original car. Stripes and a hood scoop (  were the visual besides wheels) were the visual clues. '66 added the "non Mustang" windows and scoops setting them apart. IMHO the '66 is the most commonly cloned of all years and only behind coupes in popularity for doing so. .....

Remember when we were kids we built a fake 65 for my brother ('74 time period) . Everyone told us that they could tell it was a fake since it didn't have side scoops, Shelby gas cap and quarter windows  ::)

Got stolen and totaled in the car chase that followed about 6 months after we completed it :o Hood popped open during the chase since the idiots didn't put the hood pins back in after they hot wired it
Guys that took it had a body waiting to swap all the parts into.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

trotrof1

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2020, 10:15:14 PM »
A few years back I was offered 40K cash at a local car show for my 66. He thought it looked correct to him. Turned out it was the first real Shelby he ever saw and apologized. No harm no foul. I gave him a on site tutorial to avoid  future embarrassments on first gen cars.

pchmotoho

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2020, 12:24:33 AM »
A few years back I was offered 40K cash at a local car show for my 66. He thought it looked correct to him. Turned out it was the first real Shelby he ever saw and apologized. No harm no foul. I gave him a on site tutorial to avoid  future embarrassments on first gen cars.

NICE.  Their going up in value.  I think I was offered 35K.  In all fairness I don't think my guy knew what it was either.  A year ago my neighbor asked me why the Mustang was in the garage and the 79 911 outside. 

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2020, 10:46:01 AM »
   Yes I too had LOTS of "charitable" people wanting to take my "Mustang" off my hands for ten or so thousand bucks. Now I have to keep it hidden and under lock and key.
    Randy

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2020, 10:47:39 AM »
I am blessed to have a 65 and a 66 and they are very different cars.  The 65 has an all out assault race car feel with the 15inch wheels, side exhaust, no back seat with the tach and oil gauge seemly grafted into the dash.  The 66 has more of a gentleman's sports car feel.  65 and 66 are both great cars and I love the side scoops and plexiglass side windows on the 66.   
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2020, 01:11:25 PM »

Personally speaking I like the way 66's look, they are lighter, have balanced performance wise and the handling mimics sports cars of that era.