News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Alumimum-bodied CSX4343 on BaT

Started by shelbyluva, August 17, 2020, 08:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbyluva

This Shelby Cobra is a CSX4000 continuation model that is one of 40 examples built to commemorate the 40th anniversary of Shelby American, Inc. The car was completed on July 5, 2005 at Shelby American in Las Vegas, Nevada and features a polished aluminum body with brushed racing stripes. Power comes from an all-aluminum Shelby 427 FE stroker V8 equipped with dual Holley four-barrel carburetors and backed by a Toploader four-speed manual transmission. Other details include side pipes, a chrome roll hoop, a glovebox door signed by Carroll Shelby, and more. The seller acquired the car in 2019 from the widow of its original owner, and has since replaced the battery and performed a fluid service. This 40th Anniversary CSX4000 shows 1,800 miles and is offered by the seller on behalf of his co-owner in Virginia with a Statement of Origin, build photos, a display plaque and chairs, period literature, and a clean Alaska title listing it as a 1965 Shelby in the owner's name.

The 40th Anniversary Edition Shelby Cobra was announced in 2002 and limited to 40 examples split between two versions, the aluminum-bodied 427 S/C (CSX4000 line) and the fiberglass-bodied 289 FIA (CSX8000 line). Chassis CSX4343 is believed to have been one of five cars ordered in polished aluminum.

The polished bare aluminum bodywork features two brushed center stripes, a hood scoop, and soft black fender guards. Other features include front and rear nudge bars with overriders, side-exit exhaust pipes, plexiglass wind wings, a single roll hoop, and Shelby badging. The finish and trim are shown up close in the gallery below.

Halibrand-style 15″ knock-off wheels feature painted centers with machined lips and are mounted with Goodyear Eagle Sports Car Special vintage racing tires. Disc brakes are fitted at all four corners along with adjustable coilover suspension.

The cockpit is trimmed in black leather with matching carpets and features bucket seats, Simpson safety harnesses, plexiglass sun visors, and 40th Anniversary-branded floor mats. A battery cut-off switch is located on the bulkhead behind the passenger seat.

A wood-rimmed steering wheel fronts Shelby-branded AutoMeter instrumentation consisting of a 180-mph reverse-sweep speedometer and an 8k-rpm tachometer as well as gauges for oil temperature, coolant temperature, voltage, oil pressure, and fuel level. Just over 1,800 miles are shown on the five-digit odometer, approximately 100 of which have been added by the current owners. The glovebox lid was signed by Carroll Shelby and is also fitted with a plaque identifying the car as CSX4343.

The 427 FE stroker V8 was supplied by the Carroll Shelby Engine Company of Windsor, California and is equipped with an aluminum block and cylinder heads as well as dual Holly four-barrel carburetors. Output was rated for 535 horsepower and 545 lb-ft of torque. Cooling is managed by an aluminum radiator equipped with twin electric push fans as well as a front-mount oil cooler. Additional features include a Cobra-branded air filter, a polished coolant resevoir, finned Shelby valve covers, and an MSD ignition system.

Shifting is through a Toploader four-speed manual transmission. The aluminum body is mounted over a four-inch-diameter DOM tube steel chassis. The Shelby chassis tag and a Pennsylvania Vehicle Identification number plate are pictured in the gallery.

Photos of the build are included in the sale along with a Manufacturer's Statement of Origin, a letter from the first owner's widow, and Shelby literature. A display board and matching chairs are also included and can be seen in the gallery.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-shelby-cobra-50/

Bill

Kirkham really does build a beautiful body and chassis  8)
Polished aluminum though, at least to me, seems a little narcissistic  ;)

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bill on August 18, 2020, 06:03:33 AM

Bill

It makes a statement but some statements can be difficult to live with? I think this is "case in point"?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Bill on August 18, 2020, 06:03:33 AM

Bill
Try to drive one on a sunny day.  ::) The finish is cool but consider the polished mirror finish reflecting the sun in your eyes while driving. It is typically too much for most even with sunglasses. Heaven help you if spirited driving and you are blinded when the sun hits the right angle. Take a mirror and reflect the sun into your eyes while wearing sunglasses and you will simulate what you will be dealing with.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

68gtcoupe

Beautiful car but I can definitely see how it might be hard to live with in a sunny climate. 

shelbyluva

mark p

^^^ Maybe that is why it has accumulated only 1800 miles in 15 years?  ???
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

Bigfoot

If you drive it in the rain you don't have to worry about being blinded.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

shelbyluva

Every Cobra tour that I've had the privilege of partaking in has involved plenty of liquid sunshine.  It keeps the dust down, right?

shelbydoug

Quote from: mark p on August 18, 2020, 07:09:14 PM

Yes and the fact that just a 427 in that car is a handful. Even a 428 is. I can't imagine why anyone would want a monster FE in it? Someone is just on some sort of ego trip.

It indicates to me a TOTAL lack of understanding what a Cobra is all about to begin with?

The combination just makes it a coffee table in the ole' man cave.

Maybe that's reflected in the price?  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

JohnHouston

Some years ago I built a Kirkham with a friend.  We thought, and still do, that paint was the way to go.  That said, those cars are just works of art.  They make a great product and the Kirkhams were so helpful throughout.  Really nice guys and a pleasure to do with. We did a 427 with a 428 crank and the thing was such a brute it made me want a small block Cobra . . .

John

CSX 4133

Quote from: shelbydoug on August 19, 2020, 10:00:31 AM

Yes and the fact that just a 427 in that car is a handful. Even a 428 is. I can't imagine why anyone would want a monster FE in it? Someone is just on some sort of ego trip.

It indicates to me a TOTAL lack of understanding what a Cobra is all about to begin with?

The 427 is a very flexible power plant, equally happy being driven at high speed or around town. I drive mine on all kinds of roads, it's very docile and forgiving when driven responsibly. It really comes down to driver responsibility and understanding your particular vehicle.

shelbydoug

Quote from: CSX 4133 on August 19, 2020, 11:25:21 AM
Quote from: shelbydoug on August 19, 2020, 10:00:31 AM

The 427 is a very flexible power plant, equally happy being driven at high speed or around town. I drive mine on all kinds of roads, it's very docile and forgiving when driven responsibly. It really comes down to driver responsibility and understanding your particular vehicle.

I agree and personally like the combination.

It REQUIRES maturity and definitely a light foot on the throttle.

I do remember Bondoraunt commenting that he thought the 289 wasn't enough, the 427 was too much and maybe something in between was just right?

Kopec called the combination "a 2,500 pound land cruise missile". ;D

You want to stay out of its cross hairs.

I doubt that a 482 FE is any faster. Just harder to lock up.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!