News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

67 GT500 Thermostat housing

Started by shelbydoug, March 17, 2018, 06:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonys_shelby

so I'm a little unsure now of what thermostat the reproduction Scott Drake C8 casting should use the large FE style or smaller small block style?

1967 eight barrel

It's not a small block thermostat. The Thermostat diameter changed in '66.  The housing offered by Drake fits 66 on FE. It's just not correct because it has the port boss cast onto the housing.
                                                                           -Keith

Bob Gaines

Quote from: tonys_shelby on February 13, 2019, 09:18:18 AM
so I'm a little unsure now of what thermostat the reproduction Scott Drake C8 casting should use the large FE style or smaller small block style?
To recap, the thermostat size changed to the smaller size on all Mustang BB in approximate Dec of 1966 according to Ford documents so there is a +and -period .The C5 marked thermostat housing which is designed for the large thermostat is the typical replacement on a 67 GT500 because it is so common. The correct thermostat housing for 67 GT500 is a C7 marked thermostat designed for the smaller thermostat just like all BB housings Ford made after . It was also used on 390 Mustangs and Cougars. The C8 marked Scott Drake repro is made for the smaller thermostat.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

This is the correct 1967 Shelby T-stat housing courtesy my Shelby.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on February 13, 2019, 11:42:34 PM
This is the correct 1967 Shelby T-stat housing courtesy my Shelby.
That sure is a nice one.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

Thanks, Bob. I looked for one for years in serviceable condition.
                                                        -Keith

67GT500#1594

Well, I felt like I won the lottery with the one I found on eBay!! It's not perfect BUT it's right! The seller had two actually. The other one was corroded badly and that one had a reserve? Mine didn't and some how, miraculously I stole it for $110, no reserve? He clearly made the listing mistake and knew what they were worth. Some days you just get lucky. Sorry, it's not for sale.

shelbydoug

Quote from: 67GT500#1594 on February 14, 2019, 12:53:53 PM
Well, I felt like I won the lottery with the one I found on eBay!! It's not perfect BUT it's right! The seller had two actually. The other one was corroded badly and that one had a reserve? Mine didn't and some how, miraculously I stole it for $110, no reserve? He clearly made the listing mistake and knew what they were worth. Some days you just get lucky. Sorry, it's not for sale.

What is the date code on yours and does it match up to your build date? They come up so rarely it's difficult to say what a fair price is? $110 is a great buy. I heard about $275 BUT that was last years price. It's like a SPEC case. When one comes up, you have to buy it if you need one.

I personally could do without heat for a month, but this is a tough winter and the pipes will freeze up without it. So timing is important.

The quality of those castings was never great even new.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

1967 eight barrel

Doug, the one on my vehicle was an NOS unit. I was actually concerned about the pourosity in the casting.  The painted example is pretty pitted where the hose covers and at the edge. However, 110.00 is a steal.  I saw a  C60A-D bell housing go for 700.00 on Ebay.  Crazy money compared to the 2-250.00 mark just a few months ago.
                                                                          -Keith

67GT500#1594

I'll check the date code but even the part numbers are barely there. As my buddy would say "any port in the storm"... These guys are so hard to find I just had to jump on it.

I knew a local guy that had a deal over the years with a junk yard and FE motors. He would get every FE motor that came through their yard. Over the years he amounted A LOT of very interesting engines and parts. Before I knew just how hard these were to find I remember he had 40-50 of all kinds of housings just hanging on a wire!! I went back last year, he's gone, house, garage, everything!!!

Between these housings and the correct 500 clutch fork, it will drive you crazy!!

67GT500#1594

I just checked and without bead blasting everything off, I think it says "67"??

I'm not totally sure? Yes, mine is slightly pitted but that's an easy fix and will be covered by the hose in the same area. Boy, a NOS one, now THAT is hard to beat!! I'm pretty sure there supposed to be painted blue as they came from Ford like that and Shelby just added the intake and blue bolts for the intake as well?

shelbydoug

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on February 14, 2019, 05:52:04 PM
Doug, the one on my vehicle was an NOS unit. I was actually concerned about the pourosity in the casting.  The painted example is pretty pitted where the hose covers and at the edge. However, 110.00 is a steal.  I saw a  C60A-D bell housing go for 700.00 on Ebay.  Crazy money compared to the 2-250.00 mark just a few months ago.
                                                                          -Keith

Don't misunderstand...I agree with you. I still haven't seen a bell that I can use, i.e., May '67. As a matter of fact, I see everything but 67 bells. I'm using an old style scattershield. It only has the bolt holes for the block. That's old.

The original quality of those thermostat housings was never great. They were never as good as Scott Drakes.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

shelbydoug

Quote from: 67GT500#1594 on February 14, 2019, 07:58:05 PM

I'm not totally sure? Yes, mine is slightly pitted but that's an easy fix and will be covered by the hose in the same area. Boy, a NOS one, now THAT is hard to beat!! I'm pretty sure there supposed to be painted blue as they came from Ford like that and Shelby just added the intake and blue bolts for the intake as well?

Not sure? Hum? I'm thinking I'm getting out the grinder and working on that Scott Drake part? I could consider that therapy which I obviously even to me, could use?  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

67GT500#1594

There's always this one...
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F202554359385

A very nice set up but pricey!! I need the carb spring bracket and brake booster fittings.

I was able to find a bellhousing with a Dec 66 date for my March build. That's the closest I've found in 6 years of looking. Still, the clutch fork eludes me!!!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 67GT500#1594 on February 14, 2019, 07:58:05 PM

The intake was installed at Ford. It was not added . It was assembled on the engine from the get go. You have to disassemble the entire top end of the engine to change the intake unlike the SB . The intake had a mask installed prior to painting of the engine to help keep paint off of the aluminum intake. The thermostat housing and the waterpump bypass were areas that didn't get covered with the mask so they got engine paint. I am not near my picture files so maybe JD or another can post a picture.