News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Headlight switch for 67

Started by csheff, August 21, 2020, 09:59:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

csheff

Has anyone bought a headlight switch from Mac's?
If so any problems with it?
Thanks

Kent

I had several of the new switches and there are not really good or worst one they are all in the middle, the best ones are the originals. I usually buy the standard switches. Sometimes they dont work after some days and other ones last forever. But as you know the headlight switch has a lot amps going through and when the people attached more wires and components to the wires/switch they normally break faster.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

shelbydoug

Standard and Motorcraft quality is about equal. They are not junk and are probably the highest quality available and equal to the original switch.

I know that on the '68s, there is a circuit breaker installed in line and on my car with the driving lights on it was common for the lights to momentarily flash on and off.

I don't recall at the moment if my 67 has the breaker installed in it also. I'd have to look but I think it doesn't?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

S7MS427

Quote from: shelbydoug on August 22, 2020, 07:11:10 AM
I know that on the '68s, there is a circuit breaker installed in line and on my car with the driving lights on it was common for the lights to momentarily flash on and off.

I don't recall at the moment if my 67 has the breaker installed in it also. I'd have to look but I think it doesn't?

I'm fairly certain that the '67 switches have an internal breaker as well.  I recall my headlamps flashing on and off and I believe changing out the swith cured the problem.  But that was a long, long time ago and it is not out of the question that I could be wrong.
Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

Bob Gaines

Quote from: S7MS427 on August 22, 2020, 12:57:03 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on August 22, 2020, 07:11:10 AM

I'm fairly certain that the '67 switches have an internal breaker as well.  I recall my headlamps flashing on and off and I believe changing out the swith cured the problem.  But that was a long, long time ago and it is not out of the question that I could be wrong.
They do.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

roddster

I think we forgot that the 67  Shelby has four headlights, the Mustang two.  So, the Cougar headlight switch should be used as the Cougars had four headlights.

JD

When I had to replace the switch back in 2006 on the '67 Shelby I had, I was told the version being sold (aftermarket) were all/only with the higher amperage breaker. For what that's worth.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

Quote from: JD on August 24, 2020, 04:18:21 PM
When I had to replace the switch back in 2006 on the '67 Shelby I had, I was told the version being sold (aftermarket) were all/only with the higher amperage breaker. For what that's worth.
+1. If using a used original switch the Cougar one would likely be better however the 67 Shelby used a standard Mustang unit which did not typically cause problems. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

csheff

Would a bad switch cause the under dash lights to not work? Even when u turn switch all the way to click them on.