Author Topic: Holley Sniper Throttle Body Injection - My install July, 2018  (Read 6723 times)

69 GT350 Vert

• View Profile
Holley Sniper Throttle Body Injection - My install July, 2018
« on: August 23, 2020, 01:08:59 PM »
I achieved excellent results with cold starting, no fuel percolation, perfect air/fuel ratios from idle to wide open throttle, elimination of hard hot restarting by installing a Holley Sniper EFI system.  My spark plugs are a beautiful light tan color 2 years, and 2,000 miles after install. 

I did not drill any holes or modify my car in any way to install this system.  A big help is the use of an aftermarket fuel tank with a built-in electronic fuel pump that fits perfectly and works with the Sniper.  It is OEM quality with baffling built in.  The supply and return lines are located in the factory fuel sender location.  I searched for a month to find this tank.  All others required holes to be drilled since the fuel lines came out of the top of the tank inside the trunk.  That was unacceptable to me.  Thankfully, I found this tank and it was less than $300.  A home run.

If you drive your car using ethanol fuel, and want it to start and run like your daily driver, this system can be installed for approximately $1,500.  It was the best classic car modification I have ever made.  Throttle response is so good now it blows me away.  Air fuel ratios are always perfectly maintained, as are the target idle speed you set with a touch screen pad.  I can monitor air/fuel ratio and coolant temperature at all times using the small screen I keep in my center console. 

The computer is located in the throttle body itself.  That provides the advantage of all wiring is hidden under the big air cleaner.  There are no separate boxes to mount under the dash or on the firewall, etc.  All you need is a wideband O2 in one side of your H pipe, a coolant temp sensor, and power connections.  I ran the blue power wire to the in-tank fuel pump through the interior so it is invisible from under the car.  That took some time to remove the interior. 

Here are a few photos of my install.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 01:16:33 PM by 69 GT350 Vert »

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Re: Holley Sniper Throttle Body Injection - My install July, 2018
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 01:15:50 PM »
Where did you get your tank? What is the capacity?

Where did you install your A/F sensor?

Interesting subject, thanks for sharing.

69 GT350 Vert

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 01:27:42 PM »
Where did you get your tank? What is the capacity?

Where did you install your A/F sensor?

Interesting subject, thanks for sharing.

It is stock capacity, and fits in trunk perfectly with no modifications.  Fit and quality are OEM.  Spectra-Premium F28-CFI.  They also make the same tank for other year Mustangs with built in fuel pump.  You can find it at summit racing, amazon, and rock auto.  I got mine from rock auto.  They were back ordered and I had to wait a while to get the tank. 

The A/F sensor needs to be within 6 inches of the exhaust manifold donut connection, as specified in installation instructions.  I had to remove H pipe to install O2 sensor bung. 

Link to fuel tank at summit:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sgt-f28cfi

« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 01:31:00 PM by 69 GT350 Vert »

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 01:52:43 PM »
Is the tank galvanized?

69 GT350 Vert

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 02:06:28 PM »
I don't think so. 

mygt350

• Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 02:14:37 PM »
Does the Sniper allow distributor advance lockout and timing/advance control via handheld display?
Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967

69 GT350 Vert

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2020, 02:19:44 PM »
Does the Sniper allow distributor advance lockout and timing/advance control via handheld display?

If you have a Sniper compatible distributor, you can have the Sniper control advance/retard based upon coolant temperature, and A/F, and other inputs received by the computer.  You select if you want the Sniper to control timing or not via the hand held touch screen. 

I opted to not do that and retained my stock Autolite distributor.  I'm not well versed on all of the advanced features, but there are a lot of them, including electric fan control. 

mygt350

• Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2020, 02:39:18 PM »
Been considering efi of some sort on my Superformance Cobra so originality is not a concern. It has a MSD dist which they tell me can be locked out and controlled.
Have looked at FITech and Sniper and Sniper seems to be the unit of choice.
Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967

69 GT350 Vert

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2020, 02:43:20 PM »
I chose the Sniper over FITech because I read the tech support at Holley is drastically better than FiTech support.  I can say first hand Holley Sniper tech support reps are top notch.  Every one I talked to at Holley were excellent and sounded like they worked as a mechanic on a race team. 

mikeh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2020, 02:54:06 PM »
That's cool stuff, I am considering EFI for the 418w stroker in my 69 350!

69 GT350 Vert

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2020, 03:10:05 PM »
My Sniper supports up to 650HP.  They make bigger if you need it.

Here is the link to mine:
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_injection/sniper_efi/sniper_4bbl_tbi_kits/sniper_efi/parts/550-516

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2020, 03:26:46 PM »
You have no idea how helpful this is, especially since you’ve had the unit installed for some time!

Did you have to drill a second hole in the driver’s side apron? It looks like two fuel holes - one for input and one for return.  Is that correct?

Thanks!
Nothing beats a classic!

69 GT350 Vert

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2020, 04:08:37 PM »
You're welcome.  I thought others might find this helpful.  I got tired of fighting carb issues and ethanol fuel boiling in the fuel bowls.   

On my '69 convertible, there is an unused hole in the lower driver's fender apron that had a rubber grommet plug in it.  It's close to the factory fuel line hole that passes into the engine bay.  I simply popped the rubber plug out, and made a bend to the 2nd metal fuel line I bought, and routed it through the unused hole. 

It took me about as much time to figure out the return line routing, and fuel tank research, as it did to install the system.   The throttle bracket and kick down setup was also challenging.  I think I returned 3 throttle cable brackets until I found the correct one that fit and worked with the factory accelerator cable. 
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 04:21:21 PM by 69 GT350 Vert »

JohnHouston

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2020, 11:30:11 AM »
Thanks so much for this.  Been thinking about this for a couple of the toys for a while . . .  Time to boldly step into the 20th century????

Thanks!

John

69 GT350 Vert

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2020, 12:28:45 PM »
Thanks so much for this.  Been thinking about this for a couple of the toys for a while . . .  Time to boldly step into the 20th century????

Thanks!

John

You're welcome John.  You won't regret it.  I installed clear fuel bowl site plugs on my carb and could actually see the fuel boiling and bubbling.  That forced it down into the engine and made my garage smell like gas fumes after hot shut off.  That problem is now 100% eliminated with the Sniper since no fuel is stored on top of the engine. 

Cold starting is much easier now.  I have a pretty high lift cam with some overlap and rough idle.  The Sniper allows me to cold start the car, and drive away in 5 seconds after a cold start without stalling with an automatic transmission.  Even in cold temperatures.  Even with my electric choke set properly on my carb, I used to have to rev the engine for at least 1 minute to keep it from stalling when putting it in reverse.  We all know the routine... Smelling up the garage with rich exhaust fumes, wifey complaining it stinks up the house, etc.  That is all a thing of the past with the Sniper.  Even when driving the car, you smell less fumes because the a/f ratio is perfect, even with an overlap cam like I have.  Your engine is healthier with perfect a/f, and will last longer.  Less plug changes. 

The sniper computer mimics the cold start of a choke and carb, and it primes itself without touching the gas pedal.  It starts and holds 1400 rpms for a few seconds, then drops down to your specified idle speed.  You drop it in reverse and go.  It never stalls - a/f is perfect.  If coolant temps rise when stuck in traffic, it adjusts a/f accordingly.  I got stuck in traffic jam and my coolant temp reached 215 - no issues.  It is really nice to have the small screen and actually see and know your coolant temp and a/f ratio.  The temperature gauge is pretty much useless since you don't know coolant temperature. 

Since I want to preserve my numbers-matching engine, having the Sniper is one of the best ways to not hurt the engine if you drive the car at all. JMO.