Author Topic: Bronze Gear needed for an OEM HiPo Distributor  (Read 1837 times)

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
Bronze Gear needed for an OEM HiPo Distributor
« on: August 25, 2020, 04:52:14 PM »
Okay fellas,
Here’s my plan for the upcoming winter project. I’m re-doing (or at least attempting to) doing this engine I built 2 1/2 years ago. This 326 stroker Boss block, Webered motor.
The current cam that’s in it is a solid lifter flat tappet (0.517 IN, 0.536 EX @valves and 239 IN, 249 EX duration @ .050” and 112 lobe separation. Replacing it with Crane Cams “ COMPUCAM HI-ROLLER” series 0.534 IN 0.534 EX @valves and 234 IN, 244 EX duration @.050” and again 112 degrees lobe separation.
It’s just a bit more, not too radically different, profile wise but yet streetable So I’m told. It’s a solid roller billet cam.
So...to retain the “look” I’m after with the stock HiPo distributor. I need a bronze gear change.
Question is who has one or makes one for this application? This is probably a “Randy gt350hr” question, but I thought to post it.
Thanks,
~Earl J
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 08:24:31 PM by SFM5S000 »

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
Re: Bronze Gear needed for an OEM HiPo Distributor
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 04:57:49 PM »
   Earl,
      If the cam core isn't copper plated , "I" would use a steel gear from an '85 ONLY 5.0 HO engine. This is the .467 ID gear for the early distributor. If it IS copper plated ( 8620 steel) , I have a bronze gear ( or ten) I can send you. I probably have an '85 gear too.
   Let me know what cam core you have and I'll get you hooked up.
    Randy

Edited for proper gear ID thanks Scott.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 11:52:13 AM by gt350hr »
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 08:45:41 PM »
Randy, thanks for the reply. How would I tell if it’s been copper plated? Between the lobes? I don’t think it’s copper plated though. This cam being a Crane Cams piece, would you know if Crane typically copper plated them?
In the short term to get it running, I have a number of Accel 37000 or 39000 series Tach Drive distributors In several flavors i.e. points, Petronix and BEI (these are with the interchangeable trigger unit upper halves) One base with a cast gear and the other one with a bronze gear, but I don’t like the way it looks installed, it sticks up pretty tall.
Wouldn’t the distributor shaft for the 5.0 HO gear as well as the aftermarket gear need to be re-drilled/and pinned?
I’ll experiment with the Accel distributor first. I’ll let you know.
Thanks,
Earl

« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 07:42:57 AM by SFM5S000 »

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 10:27:27 AM »
   Earl,
      Cam cores that are made from 8620 alloy steel are copper plated to control where the heat treatment takes effect. Of late (OEMs and aftermarket) have been using a different alloy (1040?IIRC) that does not require the plating. These are common on many Crane hyd rollers for small blocks. Copper plating is very obvious between the lobes as you envisioned.

The Ford "point type" distributors have a .467 shaft diameter and must use the '85 only gear ( or similar replacement) Later gears are .500 or .530. IIRC the Accel units are .500. When "I" change gears I line up the hole the best that I can and redrill if needed. The "press" is more important than the pin. A loose gear will break a roll pin in a hurry.  A steel gear is fully machined so there aren't any casting bumps in the pin area. As little as we drive these cars , a bronze gear will be fine if this gets too complicated. LOL
      Randy
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 11:52:51 AM by gt350hr »

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 11:30:52 AM »
     Randy,  common, that's twice now; I think you meant .467"?

It's O.K., I'm getting old too; as you even almost had me convinced!        ::)

Scott.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 11:44:38 AM »
     Randy,  common, that's twice now; I think you meant .467"?

It's O.K., I'm getting old too; as you even almost had me convinced!        ::)

Scott.

Yes .467!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry for misleading people. Sometimes "vision" is difficult when experiencing "anal ocular inclusion". Glad you have my back.
       Randy