News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Performance build on a 460

Started by KR Convertible, September 02, 2020, 11:06:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KR Convertible

I have a lawyer friend that wants me to build him a 700+ HP 460 to go into a early 70s Country Squire as a sleeper.  Another friend donated a 460 out of an '89 motor home with 23K miles.  The motor looks really good inside.  He wants me to make it a big cube stroker, that's streetable and reliable.

I have several concerns:

I was looking at aluminum heads and noticed Trick Flow is only compatible with 460s built before 1988 (first year for EFI).  Anyone know what's different?  Glad I caught this before sending the block to be machined.

Many stroker kits say to bore block .080 over to achieve more cubes.  This makes me cringe!  My gut is telling me to go .030.  I could get away with standard bore on this motor.  Thoughts?

Anyone have a good recipe for for a 460?  Considering Demon stroker kit, Trick Flow heads and intake, and possibly fuel injection.

Appreciate any input.

gt350hr

EFI heads are different. So the intake and exhaust manifolds are not compatible with "early" style heads. That is the reason they mention that.
The '79 and later blocks have longer cylinders and are better for stroker engines. I have two 521s myself and they are excellent. I have  an extra Ford Racing "521 kit" (NOS) if you are interested PM me. Crank , H beam rods , forged dish pistons , rings and bearings.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

I have been using only A-460 heads for years, but for stock exhaust systems, I think the Kaase Head is better than the TFS head.

http://jonkaaseracingengines.com/html/kaase_p-51_-_big_block_ford_wedge_cylinder_heads.html

KR Convertible

I was poking around the Kaase website.  Have you heard much about the SR-71 heads?  Looking for the best bang for the buck.

gt350hr

They are very good and still use "conventional intakes and exhaust. The pistons in my kit would have to be recut for the changed valve angle. No big deal to do so.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Quote from: KR Convertible on September 02, 2020, 03:20:25 PM
I was poking around the Kaase website.  Have you heard much about the SR-71 heads?  Looking for the best bang for the buck.

I can't answer that, but you can probably find it here;

https://www.460ford.com/