Author Topic: Reproduction Group 24 Battery  (Read 8307 times)

mr68shelby

• View Profile
Re: Reproduction Group 24 Battery
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2020, 06:05:07 PM »
I had to repaint the AUTOLITE and sta-ful lettering on an older battery because it was flaking off. I used a bottle of paint from the hobby shop and brushes from the arts and craft store. The brushes were sold for doing enamel paint. One was pointed and I used it for the sta-ful letters. The other was flat and about 1/8 inch wide that I used on the AUTOLITE. I cleaned the top with denatured alcohol before painting. Surprisingly, the paint stayed on the top of the letters and did not run down the raised portion. The brushes cost way more than the paint!

Mike

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2020, 06:36:05 PM »
First report,     Received battery no shipping damage and fully charged. One difference from the past reproduction battery is the raised AUTOLITE script on the top isnt colored red. Identical in color as battery case. Otherwise no other external difference.

Mine arrived safely as well and was well packaged. I did put mine on a battery tender for five hours before it went into float mode, installing tomorrow.

psessa35

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2020, 09:54:35 PM »
Can I use a regular battery tender?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 09:57:00 PM by psessa35 »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2020, 11:12:37 PM »
I had to repaint the AUTOLITE and sta-ful lettering on an older battery because it was flaking off. I used a bottle of paint from the hobby shop and brushes from the arts and craft store. The brushes were sold for doing enamel paint. One was pointed and I used it for the sta-ful letters. The other was flat and about 1/8 inch wide that I used on the AUTOLITE. I cleaned the top with denatured alcohol before painting. Surprisingly, the paint stayed on the top of the letters and did not run down the raised portion. The brushes cost way more than the paint!

Mike
Mike, the assemblyline 68 batteries most typically did not have the painted red letters from my observations. Unpainted more typically from my observations. Service batteries did have painted letters however.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

mr68shelby

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2020, 12:56:28 AM »
Thank you Bob! Now I get to strip it back off. That should be easier than the painting! Mike

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2020, 11:09:44 AM »
Thank you Bob! Now I get to strip it back off. That should be easier than the painting! Mike
No good deed goes unpunished so just remember that the vast majority of people seeing the unpainted letters will think that it is wrong.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

nightmist67

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2020, 07:08:26 PM »
The third attempt at delivering an intact and functioning reproduction Autolite battery was successful.  It only took over a year to accomplish.

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2020, 08:50:45 PM »
Can I use a regular battery tender?

Check with your particular brand of tender, but Battery Tender, NOCO and Ctek do work on AGM batteries.