Author Topic: Original over the counter wood wheel horn button photo?  (Read 5276 times)

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
Original over the counter wood wheel horn button photo?
« on: September 02, 2020, 12:29:30 AM »
Does anyone have a photo they can post of an original horn button for the wood over the counter steering wheel?
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Original over the counter wood wheel horn button photo?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 03:03:41 AM »
Which year? There are different versions. You want it for the 66?
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

427hunter

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 03:06:00 AM »
Yes a photo of an original 66 over the counter gt350 horn button..

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

Vernon Estes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 11:06:20 AM »
 Here you are...there were a couple different versions of the button with the same outer chrome surround.

Vern
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

427hunter

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 11:09:26 AM »
Thanks for the photo, but isn't that the catalog button? I thought the earlier button was a cobra?

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

SFM6S087

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 11:17:13 AM »
Here's the button on the wheel I have.

Steve

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 11:20:31 AM »
Thanks for the photo, but isn't that the catalog button? I thought the earlier button was a cobra?
As Vern said in his post  "there were a couple different versions of the button with the same outer chrome surround."
. The buttons are all the same . The center artwork is different . Vern posted one and Steve posted another.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2020, 11:26:18 AM »
FYI catalog or over the counter wheels were the same . The wheel and or buttons are best not defined as catalog or over the counter. Better to distinguish early and later IMO. Yes the Cobra button is typically seen earlier .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

427hunter

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2020, 11:30:37 AM »
Here's the button on the wheel I have.

Steve

Thank you ! exactly what I was looking for!

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2020, 11:41:35 AM »
As Vern said in his post  "there were a couple different versions of the button with the same outer chrome surround."
. The buttons are all the same . The center artwork is different . Vern posted one and Steve posted another.

the button was a purchased unit and as Bob stated the Marque (brand/make) ID could be changed out making it useable for others.  My buddy has a '59 Abarth (think Shelby version of a Fiat) it used the same button assembly in it's very different steering wheel.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2020, 11:45:49 AM »
I think the same wheel is in the Lamborghini Miura?

Isn't this '66 "over the counter" horn button the same as a '67? The medallions are jost foil "decals" and there are several different varieties of those but the chrome housing and plastic center button looks the same to me from here?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

427hunter

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2020, 11:47:19 AM »
FYI catalog or over the counter wheels were the same . The wheel and or buttons are best not defined as catalog or over the counter. Better to distinguish early and later IMO. Yes the Cobra button is typically seen earlier .

Bob, I had an original 66 gt350 owner tell me that when he bought his over the counter wheel in July of 66 it came with the 67 style horn button, does that sound right to you?

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2020, 11:53:05 AM »

Isn't this '66 "over the counter" horn button the same as a '67? The medallions are jost foil "decals" and there are several different varieties of those but the chrome housing and plastic center button looks the same to me from here?

Yes
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2020, 11:54:35 AM »

Yes

I figured it would be another "67 guy" to recognize that? ;D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2020, 12:17:44 PM »

Bob, I had an original 66 gt350 owner tell me that when he bought his over the counter wheel in July of 66 it came with the 67 style horn button, does that sound right to you?
I could see it happening because the buttons fit the same . The 66 over the counter wheels didn't typically come with a 67 emblem inside the button. It may be a case of someone wanted the Cobra button on their 67 or the 67 Button on their 66 wheel and it got swapped. Regardless I think it was a case of one getting switched after the fact at SA ,the dealership,or past owner. Of course with a 67 emblem in the  button means that at the earliest the wheel was purchased sometime after 67 Shelby production started given the availability of the emblem . It would interesting to know which of 3 67 buttons it was given that can help better date when it happened. GT350,GT500 or no designation. Branda has been selling the foil emblem for the 67 buttons for over 30 years so it could have been switched during that time framw as well.