News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Original over the counter wood wheel horn button photo?

Started by 427hunter, September 02, 2020, 12:29:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD

Quote from: Bob Gaines on September 02, 2020, 12:17:44 PM
I could see it happening because the buttons fit the same . The 66 over the counter wheels didn't typically come with a 67 emblem inside the button. It may be a case of someone wanted the Cobra button on their 67 or the 67 Button on their 66 wheel and it got swapped. Regardless I think it was a case of one getting switched after the fact at SA ,the dealership,or past owner. Of course with a 67 emblem in the  button means that at the earliest the wheel was purchased sometime after 67 Shelby production started given the availability of the emblem . It would interesting to know which of 3 67 buttons it was given that can help better date when it happened. GT350,GT500 or no designation. Branda has been selling the foil emblem for the 67 buttons for over 30 years so it could have been switched during that time framw as well.   

Two of the 3 styles Bob mentions, the GT500 looks like the GT350.  The "no model designation" generic was, to my understanding, for the over-the-counter wheels or replacements.

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

JD

Also, there was another version of over-the-counter wood steering wheel that was sold (earlier?)  As per Vern's post below - later, note the different horn outer metal ring, different contour and brushed finish
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Vernon Estes

Quote from: 427hunter on September 02, 2020, 11:09:26 AM
Thanks for the photo, but isn't that the catalog button? I thought the earlier button was a cobra?

Technically they are all "catalog" buttons/steering wheels in general. As for which one came first, I actually was under the impression that the  "CS" version I posted predated the "GT350 Cobra" style button center. That version sure seems to be less commonly seen today also. My understanding (and this is strictly from fuzzy memory of discussions long ago on this topic) the order went "red white and blue CS" style, "GT350 Cobra" style, then on to the "gold 67ish style" ones last. Then, of course, the rest of the steering wheels changed also.

Now, I do find that that I am generally wrong about most things...so someone please feel free to step in and tell me just how wrong I am  :P

Ill take a look through a couple of the 66/67 SAI Accessories folders to see if I can figure it out either way though. They made three different revisions which I think show the changes in the wheels.

Kind regards,
Vern
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

Vernon Estes

Quote from: JD on September 02, 2020, 12:48:17 PM
Also, there was another version of over-the-counter wood steering wheel that was sold (earlier?) note the different horn outer metal ring, different contour and brushed finish

That particular wheel is the latest version which SAI sold.

The earliest version had brushed spokes that flared out at the ends...chrome surround button. The second version had 67 style black boots on the ends of the spokes with the same chromed surround. The third and last version was the one posted which had the brushed center and straight spokes with no black boots.

Vern

Vernon Estes

Vernon Estes

Second version..this photo is of the repop which is now offered which is very good...picture from Branda's site

Vernon Estes

Third version... the foil decals get changed between wheels to however the owner likes it. I think this wheel would more typically have a 67 style foil decal but i dont know if theres really a "right" and "wrong" here with these wheels/foil decals

gt350hr

Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Vernon Estes on September 02, 2020, 12:56:34 PM
Third version... the foil decals get changed between wheels to however the owner likes it. I think this wheel would more typically have a 67 style foil decal but i dont know if theres really a "right" and "wrong" here with these wheels/foil decals
+1.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

427hunter

The only one I have seen (that the owner claimed he bought in July of 66) was the 67 style horn button, does anyone know when the 67 wheel went into production?
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 427hunter on September 02, 2020, 06:50:26 PM
The only one I have seen (that the owner claimed he bought in July of 66) was the 67 style horn button, does anyone know when the 67 wheel went into production?
The 67 cars were in full production by October 66. A wheel bought in July of 66 which no doubt logistically was manufactured and then stocked on a shelf much earlier in 66 would be too early to have had the gold 67 style emblem on it when sold logistically IMHO. With that said as has been mentioned it doesn't make much difference what emblem is on the over the counter wheel when used on the car as long as it is acceptable to the owner. Given it was not a regular production part it doesn't matter if the wheel was bought and added two weeks after the car was bought or two decades later from a originality stand point. The emblem and it's time frame isn't much relevant ether because of that IMO. The owners opinion on what looks best is what is most important IMO.  It is a beautiful wheel and if not in concours competition I would personally much rather have the real wood wheel over the faux wood production deluxe wheel. Again just my opinion but I think that the red white and blue Cobra horn emblem is more in keeping with the 66 Shelby motiff compared to the gold 67 style emblem which my sensibilities automatically associate with a 67 Shelby. That's just me . Others may think differently.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on September 02, 2020, 07:38:54 PM
Quote from: 427hunter on September 02, 2020, 06:50:26 PM
The 67 cars were in full production by October 66. A wheel bought in July of 66 which no doubt logistically was manufactured and then stocked on a shelf much earlier in 66 would be too early to have had the gold 67 style emblem on it when sold logistically IMHO. With that said as has been mentioned it doesn't make much difference what emblem is on the over the counter wheel when used on the car as long as it is acceptable to the owner. Given it was not a regular production part it doesn't matter if the wheel was bought and added two weeks after the car was bought or two decades later from a originality stand point. The emblem and it's time frame isn't much relevant ether because of that IMO. The owners opinion on what looks best is what is most important IMO.  It is a beautiful wheel and if not in concours competition I would personally much rather have the real wood wheel over the faux wood production deluxe wheel. Again just my opinion but I think that the red white and blue Cobra horn emblem is more in keeping with the 66 Shelby motiff compared to the gold 67 style emblem which my sensibilities automatically associate with a 67 Shelby. That's just me . Others may think differently.

I find it amazing that those wood wheels, so changes the character of the car and something as simple as the horn medallion changes the way you read it again?

It's a very powerful focal point.

I personally prefer the 67 medallion as well.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

greekz

I have, and like the same horn emblem on my over the counter wheel as shown in reply 5. It also ties in with the gas cap emblem, as the '67 horn emblem ties in with the '67 gas cap emblem.
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

Bob Gaines

Quote from: greekz on September 02, 2020, 09:37:55 PM
I have, and like the same horn emblem on my over the counter wheel as shown in reply 5. It also ties in with the gas cap emblem, as the '67 horn emblem ties in with the '67 gas cap emblem.
+1

Brant

-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang